Football Manager 2009

King Ellis

Hmm, I suppose I'll try praising him a bit more frequently...if he deserves it...

Alternatively, if it is to do with the contract, whatever happened to the good old-fashioned "feels he deserves a better contract" status? ¬_¬

Not sure how much more I'd be willing to pay him anyway, since I've become a bit of a budget freak as of late. I may be about £400,000p/w *below* my salary budget limit...but that's because my board's budgets are stupid. We're still losing about £1m each month (though this will be reduced to about £300,000 once we finish paying transfer installments on Jean Il Makoun in a month or two), and we're only about £6m in the black to begin with.

Really I'm hoping to qualify for the Champions League to save my finances more than anything else. >_<

Edited by stokeriño

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Haven't played much recently, still in my first season of my journeyman game with Queens University Belfast. We managed to win to one cup competition for the part-timers, non-league and reserve teams and seem to be settled in the top six of the league of twelve despite being predicted to finish bottom. I've managed to offload a lot of the crap and bring in a few free transfers but I'm not sure how much better we're going to get. Attendance has tripled over the season though, so I must be doing something right with the team. Unfortunately one of my best defenders gives a way a penalty every two games but thankfully nobody in Northern Ireland can take one, so its not too bad yet.

I've started to find my full backs tuck in behind my centre backs when we're on the defensive, leaving huge amounts of room out wide for a player to have a crack at goal...

I've never had this before, but it's frustrating to see it. Also, they suddenly seem sluggish and unresponsive to loose balls, even Micah Richards, for all his acceleration and pace, takes his sweet time chasing a long ball forward as strikers and wingers quickly close him down.

In a similar vein: how many own goals do you think he has to concede/penalty kicks he has to miss before I officially christen Nicky Shorey 'MUPPET'? :shifty:

Edited by stokeriño

In other news, Robinho just scored 4 goals against Villa to allow me to win 4-3 and is a wonderful, wonderful man :wub:

He just cost me a place in the Europa League with an own goal.

In the 94th minute.

Cunt.

I went from 7th to 6th during the course of the game and ended up in 8th. I just feel empty :(

Edited by Pesci

What do you guys do in regards to feeder clubs? I have a Chinese and American one for commercial links. Any requests for another go unfufilled, I guess I can't have a Japanese one caus the Asian market must be tapped by having one in either China or Japan. I've never known any other commercial links outside of America or Asia.

National links are rubbish since the clubs rarely seem to play anyone I send them. International seem pointless since I doubt that I need to gain a foothold in the UAE. Most of the clubs end up having greys anyway so first option is pointless. I have my Belgian one of course, not that i've had too many players in need of a passport through the system yet.

I can't think of any useful club that I might use. I guess I will have to find a club with an especially good scouting network or a club in the championship/league one which has 6 players that I can bolster and pretty much guarantee games for. Even then, they'll probably just reject me and it'll be another 6 months before I can try again.

So after promotion to the Premiership, I've managed to lose 8 games in a row and sit at the bottom of the table. The season started off very promising as I led Portsmouth 2-1 at half time, but then I go on to lose 2-3. Then the next couple of games we lost 1-0 or 2-1 every single time. I got "blown out" by Man City 3-1. I really came close to beating Man Utd and Arsenal, but I just couldn't hold them off in the last 20 minutes of the game. Do you guys switch tactics throughout the game? I've tried to a couple of times but before it switches tactics the other team just happens to score. It's really annoying.

Although we haven't won a game everyone in my squad's morale is still very good, but I don't know how much longer that's going to last. Also I can't believe I still haven't been placed as "Favorite Personnel" for Wycombe. EPL in less than 5 years, c'mon, seriously.

Wow, I think that at one point every single one of my players was linked with a move away to a better side and practically begged me to let them leave. I only sold Garrido, Zabaleta and Petrov though. No need for them, really. I was prepared to keep Glen Johnson for another season and see if he improved but the Chairman thought an offer of 14.25m from Spurs was too good to refuse (even though that's 750k less than we paid for him and WE'RE MAN CITY) and with the fees I got for loaning Ched Evans and Bojinov out for the season, I actually made back more than I spent :lol:

I couldn't resist the urge of buying Akinfeev or Srna since they were head and shoulders above anybody else who wanted to come to me. For a while I was tempted to stump up 48m + Glen Johnson for Gareth Bale but I decided against it. And even with Srna I was running low on players who could play at LB so I bought William Massari who will supposedly become pretty tidy.

Completely gutted my coaches and scouts out and replaced them all as well. That was uh... fun.

I've taken the AMC out of my 4-2-3-1 formation from last year and replaced it with a DM so it's now 4-1-2-2-1 in the hope that I won't lose so many leads. I can just see myself scoring less and conceding the same though :/

Oh and to my fury nobody wants to take Joe Hart on loan as their main goalie without the option to buy him and nobody is willing to give me a buy back clause if I sell him. So sorry Hart, you're on the bench.

Wow, I think that at one point every single one of my players was linked with a move away to a better side and practically begged me to let them leave. I only sold Garrido, Zabaleta and Petrov though. No need for them, really. I was prepared to keep Glen Johnson for another season and see if he improved but the Chairman thought an offer of 14.25m from Spurs was too good to refuse (even though that's 750k less than we paid for him and WE'RE MAN CITY) and with the fees I got for loaning Ched Evans and Bojinov out for the season, I actually made back more than I spent :lol:

I couldn't resist the urge of buying Akinfeev or Srna since they were head and shoulders above anybody else who wanted to come to me. For a while I was tempted to stump up 48m + Glen Johnson for Gareth Bale but I decided against it. And even with Srna I was running low on players who could play at LB so I bought William Massari who will supposedly become pretty tidy.

Completely gutted my coaches and scouts out and replaced them all as well. That was uh... fun.

I've taken the AMC out of my 4-2-3-1 formation from last year and replaced it with a DM so it's now 4-1-2-2-1 in the hope that I won't lose so many leads. I can just see myself scoring less and conceding the same though :/

Oh and to my fury nobody wants to take Joe Hart on loan as their main goalie without the option to buy him and nobody is willing to give me a buy back clause if I sell him. So sorry Hart, you're on the bench.

Have you tried just eliminating the option to buy Hart, see how they react? It always works for me; team wants to loan player and they include a buy-certain-price clause and also just a fee for loaning him, I take away the buy clause and I keep the fee and I offer that to them; they accept so I get money and no fear of them buying the player.

I hate hate hate hate hate when the chairman goes over my head and accepts a bid for one of my players. We just won the MLS, so my mindset is to keep around as many players as possible, and beef up my reserves. No, no. My chairman accepts bids for three different players, all a vital piece to last season's championship team. And then he'll get sassy with me if we're not as good. Go screw yourself, good sir.

Have you tried just eliminating the option to buy Hart, see how they react? It always works for me; team wants to loan player and they include a buy-certain-price clause and also just a fee for loaning him, I take away the buy clause and I keep the fee and I offer that to them; they accept so I get money and no fear of them buying the player.

Yeah, I did that with guys like Bojinov and Evans, but it's only been teams like Barca and Chelsea in for Hart and they only want him as back-up. He may as well sit on my bench instead of theirs.

I'm doing reasonably well in my second season with Steven Gerrard led-Man City but players are always down as "feeling not part of the team" even players who I signed a year ago - has anyone got any ways to sort it out as morale isn't a problem but whenever someone comes in for a player they wanna go...

Dear God the regens in this game are awesome. Within about a month of sending some scouts to look at a few U18 leagues, I've found an English striker who will be as good as Robinho, a left back who will be the best in the league and three goalkeepers who will be as good as Akinfeev including one who came from Bohemians. Awesome. I love having all this money I can just spend on 15 year olds.