What Did You Read Today?

RoyWill Rumble

I read Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis not too long ago. It was a quick and easy read, and a fairly decent book. I was a little suprised by some of the ending moments, but not much.

On recommendation from a friend I began reading Bukowski, starting with Post Office. I really sucked me in quickly, great book. I've been reading some of his poetry and short stories too, but currently I'm in the process of reading through Factotum. So far I don't find it as good as Post Office, but a really interresting read nonetheless.

I read Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis not too long ago. It was a quick and easy read, and a fairly decent book. I was a little suprised by some of the ending moments, but not much.

On recommendation from a friend I began reading Bukowski, starting with Post Office. I really sucked me in quickly, great book. I've been reading some of his poetry and short stories too, but currently I'm in the process of reading through Factotum. So far I don't find it as good as Post Office, but a really interresting read nonetheless.

Bukowski's a legend, bro. I really liked "Post Office" and "Hollywood". Since you're on Ellis, you should probably read "American Pshycho", definitely rec. that one.

What I will not rec. is William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch". Don't read that book, ever.

EDIT: If you get a chance, pick up "Born into This". It's a documentary about Bukowski, it's good.

Yeah like I said, Bukowski has really sucked me in already, can't believe I've been able to avoid him for so long. I acutally watched Born into This last week, very interresting documentary.

American Psycho I read a few years ago, I liked it very much and it was the reason I actually wanted to start reading Ellis from the top, but I never really got around to it until recently, don't know why. Actually I've been recommended Naked Lunch before, but you wouldn't rec. it? I was actually thinking about getting into Burroughs, having never really read anything by him. I was thinking of either starting with "Junkie" or "Naked Lunch", but guess it's junkie then.

What I will not rec. is William S. Burroughs' "Naked Lunch". Don't read that book, ever.

Why not? Just out of interest...I love Burroughs, and while Naked Lunch is pretty heavy-going, and somewhat impenetrable in places, I'd be interested to know what makes it a "don't read this ever" book.

Why not? Just out of interest...I love Burroughs, and while Naked Lunch is pretty heavy-going, and somewhat impenetrable in places, I'd be interested to know what makes it a "don't read this ever" book.

I left off on page 150, which is roughly 75%, because I was just overly fed up with where the book was going. Here's the problems I had.

He's too descriptive. Not in the sense of the subject matter, that's whatever to me, but do I really need paragraph long explanations over how or what something is? It's just comma after comma after comma. I found myself rolling my eyes and thinking, "I get it! Move on already!"

The conversations within the book are poorly structured. Many times I had to stop and go back a paragraph or two just to find out who's speaking. It became increasingly annoying.

Chapters are just starting to gel together. It's turning into different people doing the same exact things. I get that some authors keep readers in the dark for the big payoff at the end and 99% of the time as I'm reading the book I get that's what they're doing, but I'm not seeing it with this book. I know what he thinks the point is, but all I'm seeing is him being crass just for the sake of being crass and it's annoying.

So to summerize, I didn't like the way it was written and I failed to see the story progress in any meaningful way. I plan on finishing the book after XMas, because I always finish a book once I've started it, but if the last 50 pages are anything like the first 150 I'm going to just give the book away.

Yeah like I said, Bukowski has really sucked me in already, can't believe I've been able to avoid him for so long. I acutally watched Born into This last week, very interresting documentary.

American Psycho I read a few years ago, I liked it very much and it was the reason I actually wanted to start reading Ellis from the top, but I never really got around to it until recently, don't know why. Actually I've been recommended Naked Lunch before, but you wouldn't rec. it? I was actually thinking about getting into Burroughs, having never really read anything by him. I was thinking of either starting with "Junkie" or "Naked Lunch", but guess it's junkie then.

To be fair I should finish the book before I rec. it, and I typically do, but I can't remember a time where I've been more frustrated with a book.

I'm going to spoiler what I'm about to say because I want to give you an example of what the book is like to me, but I don't want to run the risk of ruining anything for you. So, you can read it if you like or you can wait to see if Inoki reads it and gives the A-OK for you to read it. Having him look at it would at least make me feel better before you read it. :)

Here's an example of it to me...

Here's an orange. Now let's spend 100 pages describing the orange. Now that we've described the orange, let's spend another 100 pages describing what an orangle looks like in NY, LA, Miami, St. Louis, and on and on and on; but at no point will I hint as to why I'm talking about the orange.

That's basically the book to me.

If the book has any merit it's the fact that, at the time, it was the most crass thing, probably, ever written; and done that way to push the buttons of the establishment - you know, counter culture 101. I get why it is the way it is, but I just don't care for it.

I'll let you know how I feel once I'm finished, but I'm 99% sure my opinion won't change for the better.

So out of a $10 Nook giftcard I got, I have just under $2 left and I was wondering if anyone could suggest any books I could get? Preferably around the $3-4 mark, but if you dont go on Barnes & Noble I'll simply take suggestions. I think for now Im looking more towards a mystery/thriller or sci-fi for genres.

Was looking at a Sherlock Holmes collection that totals over 1000 pages for $2.99, so perhaps if anybody has read any of those to give a yay or nay on it?

I should note I also have a $50 Barnes & Noble gift card. I may just end up using that for more Nook books, but Ill probably take a trip to a local store to check actual books out for that. So suggestions in general wouldnt be bad either. Christopher Priest I will have to check out, though, assuming the one you speak of is also the one behind The Prestige.

I'm currently 150 odd pages into Lord of the Rings (one of the books that knowing my tastes I really should have read years before) and am going through differing phases of appreciating bits of the writing and the world building, and then thinking "GET. ON. WITH IT. TOLKIEN." I've not read any of it in aboput 5 days, which could signal trouble.

I'm also 70 odd pages in to Jonathan Wilson's biography of Brian Clough, 'Nobody Ever Says Thank-You.' Now, I've know Wilson to be an intelligent and rather excellent football writer and this is mostly the case here. But. As the first ever 'proper' biography of Clough (all the other books on him have either been one person's account of his experiences, or have just focused on one aspect of Clough's career) Wilson seems to feel the need to discuss EVERYTHING Clough ever did, said, ate, drank, brought or shit out. I don't really care what the local newspaper reporter said in his match report when Middlesborough drew 1-1 with Bury in 1957 or whatever. I suppose the level of detail is nice, but not SO often and not about things that are ultimately so inconsiquential.

And finally, I just picked up (literally) a copy of Bradbury's The Martian Chronicles.

So in short, I've made the mistake of starting LOTS at once. Got plenty more books for Christmas too.

Just finished World War Z. I don't know how to word this but it is written in a format that I quite enjoy. It has short interviews that go for maybe 3 pages each before moving onto the next one and they all intersect with each other. It also allows me to read fiction in a way that favours my bias towards non-fiction works.

Just finished World War Z. I don't know how to word this but it is written in a format that I quite enjoy. It has short interviews that go for maybe 3 pages each before moving onto the next one and they all intersect with each other. It also allows me to read fiction in a way that favours my bias towards non-fiction works.

I really enjoyed that book as well. Hopefully the movie is as good as the book, but I doubt it. :(

I really enjoyed that book as well. Hopefully the movie is as good as the book, but I doubt it. :(

The issue with translating WWZ into a movie is that you lose the personal stories which is the crux of the novel. Unless it's filmed like a documentary then it's bound to lose something along the way.