What Did You Read Today?

RoyWill Rumble

Just finished World War Z. I don't know how to word this but it is written in a format that I quite enjoy. It has short interviews that go for maybe 3 pages each before moving onto the next one and they all intersect with each other. It also allows me to read fiction in a way that favours my bias towards non-fiction works.

I really enjoyed that book as well. Hopefully the movie is as good as the book, but I doubt it. :(

The issue with translating WWZ into a movie is that you lose the personal stories which is the crux of the novel. Unless it's filmed like a documentary then it's bound to lose something along the way.

I'm halfway through the book. I already read that they changed the book quite a bit. :/

Finished Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs. Enjoyable book, definitely designed to be the first in a series.

Started City of Thieves by David Benioff, enjoying it so far.

Just finished World War Z. I don't know how to word this but it is written in a format that I quite enjoy. It has short interviews that go for maybe 3 pages each before moving onto the next one and they all intersect with each other. It also allows me to read fiction in a way that favours my bias towards non-fiction works.

I really enjoyed that book as well. Hopefully the movie is as good as the book, but I doubt it. :(

The issue with translating WWZ into a movie is that you lose the personal stories which is the crux of the novel. Unless it's filmed like a documentary then it's bound to lose something along the way.

That's been the talk, are they going to be able to keep what makes the book so good? From what I've read they decided to go in a different direction because making the movie the way the books written was difficult and even after they wrote it they didn't think it would transition well to the big screen . Instead they're going to go into some type of gradious zombie epic that'll probably be

a trilogy. I guess if the book inspires an epic zombie movie then I can't complain.

That's been the talk, are they going to be able to keep what makes the book so good? From what I've read they decided to go in a different direction because making the movie the way the books written was difficult and even after they wrote it they didn't think it would transition well to the big screen . Instead they're going to go into some type of gradious zombie epic that'll probably be

a trilogy. I guess if the book inspires an epic zombie movie then I can't complain.

I guess if they string out the chapters into chronological order and focus on the core events that are mentioned as turning point in the book, then it should still be alright.

So I've finally started on reading the Lord of the Rings books. I've already read The Hobbit like, four times and I have no clue to why I never got past the first few pages of the Lord of the Rings before now. But, here I am, I've read about a hundred pages now and my excitement grows with every turn of the page.

I guess if they string out the chapters into chronological order and focus on the core events that are mentioned as turning point in the book, then it should still be alright.

Sadly, I don't even think we're going to get that. From what I understand, the format and overall feel of the book is going to be pretty much ignored for the movie, using it as more of a reference point than a re-telling. In a way it's a shame, as my favorite aspects of the book were the different settings and characters, and the way it was more of a series of short stories than a novel. The movie (again, as I understand it) is set to be more of a big-budget action flick that depicts a war between military and zombies. It does seem like it's going to be a fun movie in its own right, just not very close at all to what the book presented.

• 2 weeks later...

Recently finished All the Pretty Horses. I read it over a long while in 5-10 page spurts so something was definitely lost there. Still a very good book and McCarthy is an excellent wordsmith, but I'll need to re-read it in a shorter time span.

Now I'm on The Mote in God's Eye.

I've now completely finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Fantastic overall. Mockingjay (final book) was heartbreaking. The saga didn't end the way I wanted it to, but the ending it does have is the right one.

Some of the stuff in the books is far too deep and dark to fit easily into the films, so it'll be interesting to see how those aspects are done.

Sigh. I already want a fourth book but it's definitely over.

I'm 40 pages into The Picture Of Dorian Gray and I'm loving it so far. I need to make more progress with it when I get more free time, but the first two chapters are some of the finest, and most engaging, I've ever read. Wilde's descriptions and dialogue flow so well, he really knows how to absorb a read.

Doria Gray is an incredible book with articulate dialogue and fantastic descriptions...all except the 20 page chapter in the middle which discusses in tedious length the several years Dorian spends collecting some nice fabric and looking at art. That bit is dull as sin.

I've now completely finished The Hunger Games trilogy. Fantastic overall. Mockingjay (final book) was heartbreaking. The saga didn't end the way I wanted it to, but the ending it does have is the right one.

Some of the stuff in the books is far too deep and dark to fit easily into the films, so it'll be interesting to see how those aspects are done.

Sigh. I already want a fourth book but it's definitely over.

I finished Mockingjay yesterday and...it was by far the weakest of the three books, but overall the whole Hunger Games series was good, despite Ms. Collins various tremendous weaknesses as a writer being very much on display in the third book.

I see people say this a lot, so I am curious how you wanted it to end. For me personally, the events of the last 15-25 pages was pretty much exactly what I was hoping for, especially the last three.

I enjoyed the change in setting of Mockingjay. And I felt some of the most gut-wrenching moments of all three books happened during Mockingjay, so I enjoyed it.

(don't click this if you haven't read Mockingjay)

I mean come on.. Prim! and Finnick! Mainly Prim though. So, so sad. Anyway ending wise, I just never, ever, took to Peeta. I didn't dislike him, I just didn't like him I guess (I do think I'll end up liking Peeta somewhat during the films). Pretty sure it was just early on I liked Gale, and then Peeta came around and I wasn't sure of him. I spent much of the first book expecting his death, and the same for the second, and in the third I was kind of hoping for it. I liked Gale, a lot. So the ending I would have liked would have obviously been different - but I completely see how WHY it ended as it did, and I know that it was the right choice. I wasn't disappointed with the ending or anything, I know it was the proper and right ending. I didn't like how open ended everybody else's story was. We know what happened with Katniss and Peeta, but I feel a bit more closure on other characters would have helped.

I do agree that her weakness as a writer is evident in the book, in fact in all three to certain degrees. They're not the best written books around, but the story is fantastic. A little teen and girly, of course. But down below it is a good story in an interesting world.