What Did You Read Today?

RoyWill Rumble

A little behind, but I personally enjoyed Norwegian Wood. My first book of his that I read, but it made me want to read some of his other stuff. It is more 'straight' than his other stuff, but was a good read.

I'm currently reading The Unbearable Lightness of Being on my way to work. Has been enjoyable enough so far (about a third of the way through), but nothing mind-blowing. Will probably be on to the next book in the series after A Clash of Kings (can't remember the names).

I read the first Hunger Games book. It's OK but not really that good, I suspect most people who like it have used it as a stepping stone into "real" literature.

I'd say "quick read" instead. Nothing wrong with a quick and easy book to relax with, and that sums up The Hunger Games pretty well. They're fun books.

• 2 weeks later...

Just found this thread, which is cool cause I read quite a bit.

Currently I'm on Keith Richard's "Life". I tried reading it a few months ago and only got to the first hundred pages, he's not a very good writer. Decided to pick it back up after reading a couple of other books, I don't like leaving unfinished books lying around. It's a little better to get through now that he's actually starting to talk about the first tours with the Stones.

So yes Zan, fuck I was wrong with my choice of Adverbs and Adjectives. But my side of English is Literature, not Language, but that's hardly an excuse for such a basic mistake on my behalf.

However, the idea that I judge books based on their usage of adverbs and adjectives is insane. It was simply a point to illustrate how simplistic Rowling's prose is, and how it's a glorified book for children. I just see no talent in what she writes, even if she was managed to construct a world of her own and tapped into the dreams kids have of being able to escape from reality and exist in a fairytale world.

I just prefer to read about the difficulties in becoming a 'gent' unless you have a financial backer and how miserable old women hate love and youth.

So yes Zan, fuck I was wrong with my choice of Adverbs and Adjectives. But my side of English is Literature, not Language, but that's hardly an excuse for such a basic mistake on my behalf.

However, the idea that I judge books based on their usage of adverbs and adjectives is insane. It was simply a point to illustrate how simplistic Rowling's prose is, and how it's a glorified book for children. I just see no talent in what she writes, even if she was managed to construct a world of her own and tapped into the dreams kids have of being able to escape from reality and exist in a fairytale world.

I just prefer to read about the difficulties in becoming a 'gent' unless you have a financial backer and how miserable old women hate love and youth.

And my point was that "Harry said, Ron said, etc." is good prose, or at least compared to where there is an abundance of adverbs.

But yeah, whatever, what GA said.

Reading The Lies of Locke Lamora, came very highly praised by a friend. It's... entertaining but not quality so far. Lynch is a good writer, but it seems almost like he wished he was making an HBO series. Don't know if I'll finish it as I've already gone to skim through reviews for general thoughts, which usually means my reservations are taking hold.

In conclusion, fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. I'm edgy now, aren't I?

I need to pick up Deceived again, the novel leading into that new Star Wars game. I was reading simply because I am Star Wars nut.

Also, I stopped reading Conan because I know that Robert E. Howard is a horrible writer and Conan is the worst character ever. :( Right, KONGO?

I've recently gotten into listening to audiobooks. No idea why it took me so long, since I've loved podcasts and listening to other spoken word things for a while now. My library has this program where you go to a website, type in your library card number, and you can download an audio or e-book and keep the file for a week - if you're at all interested in stuff like that, I'd say check to see if your library does the same. Anyway, just listened to Bossypants, the autobiography written and read by Tina Fey. It was pretty entertaining; I'm not sure I would've enjoyed it as much if I had read it, since Tina Fey really made it better by adding her own inflections and sidebars. I'd still recommend the book if you're interested about her though, she has some great stories about SNL and 30 Rock, and the early obligatory "growing up" chapters are actually pretty funny stories.

Since finishing that, I came across this - Isaac Asimov's Foundation Trilogy available for free stream and download. As best I can tell, it's this BBC Radio recording from 1973. Complete with retro sci-fi sound effects and an overall old-timey feel, I've really liked the few minutes I've gotten into, and I'd say fans of the series (or of sci-fi in general) should at least download it and save it for a rainy day.

Finished up 11/22/63 last week and moved onto The Shining audiobook after seeing that King's next book will be a sequel of that. I like the book version having more to do with the the actual "Shining" than the way the movie seemed to just touch on it. I also just put the TV miniseries in my Netflix queue. As for audiobook vs. books, reading has always been more of a summer thing for me (not having time to do it when taking college courses or just enjoying sitting on my porch and passing time) so I feel like I always go on an audiobook kick during the winter.

Finished Steve Jobs' biography, moved on to read Fight Club. Couldn't do it. I couldn't handle the haphazard writing style and I just didn't find it interesting. I moved on to World War Z which is miles better and really engaging. It's also great that each story is short as it allows me to flow in and out if I'm just waiting around for something.