"Chilling" First Listens

Benji

So Ollie sent me a message this morning (and probably many other people) about a Kings of Leon song sending chills down his spine, oddly I had the same feeling with a different song "Dareka no Negai ga Kanau Koro" by Utada Hikaru yesterday, an artist I've long been meaning to get into. So simple enough, what was the last and most memorable song that 'sent chills down your spine'?

For a first listen, when I first played the "Badmotorfigner" album by Soundgarden, and "Slaves & Bulldozers" came on. It just amazed from the first listen.

As for one that does it regularly is Nirvana's "Come As You Are", one of my favourite songs ever. Especially if I listen to it on my MP3 player on the bus or whatever.

Edited by TheModernWay

The entirety of "The Drift" by Scott Walker, especially when a track off of it I'd forgotten all about came on my mp3 player the other day - "a hand that's cold...in another colder..."

Also, "N.L.T." and "The Sinking Belle" by SunnO))) & Boris. Probably hundreds more.

The better part of Godspeed You! Black Emperor's output.

Numerous tracks off the new Sigur Ros album. Probably partly cos I'd built it up to be excellent and chillingly emotional and partly because it was.

Hell fucking yes. I can't remember the last time I had the same reaction I had to 'Íllgresi'. Such a beautiful song.

The first song off new Kings of Leon put a chill down my spine, too. <_<

There's a lot for me, Coheed used to do it a lot but I haven't listened to them in months, now it's stuff like Magnetic Fields and Animal Collective(Peacebone and Reverend Green did it EDIT: + Fireworks, fucking siccccck song.)

Edited by Mr. Evil Guy

I can't call any of my own to mind right now, though I'm sure there are several. I'd certainly agree with Sigur Ros and Scott Walker though. It was only a month or two ago I heard Scott Walker for the first time. The song was "The Seventh Seal" and it was absolutely amazing and immediately filled me with and urge to buy his entire back catalogue. Ultimately I only ended up getting two albums but both were fantastic and I enjoyed them thoroughly.

I used to get like a shiver when I listened to "Never Speak Again" by Strung Out, when there's the long drawn out bit and it kicks back in near the end, I used to listen to it walking to school and I'd always get a bit of a shiver down the spine. I think I just trained myself to do it after a while though subconsciously because it only happened when I listened to my mp3 player while walking to school, so it happened a few times and then it just became a usual occurrence.

On the subject of Strung Out. The first ever Strung Out song I ever heard was http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPsxg-wNrmM, from Twisted By Design. It's a short song, nowhere near their best, a song that is very rarely mentioned and outside of the "Twisted By Design" 10-year show, has been played live only a handful of times, and not for years. But there's the bit around 0:53 where it just kicks in all 'poppy', and when I heard that, they just clicked with me and I fell in love with them from there.

There's quite a lot of 'chills'/'shivvers' and stuff I get. For me, a "good" song is a song that makes you feel comfortable. A "great" song is a song that makes you feel uncomfortable.

Edited by YI

Just adding in another one, Failure 'The Nurse Who Loved Me'. It gets covered by A Perfect Circle on thier 'Thirteenth Step' album, and I really liked that version, although due to the change of pace, quite a few of my mates didn't. But Failures version is better, and induces the shivers from time to time.

I wasn't meant to feel this way/Asleep at the wheel by Suicidal Tendencies. There is something really creepy about the guys voice in this song. Necros 'Dead Body Disposal' is a bit scary because he goes into vivid detail about how to despose of a body.