Do the last.fm Shuffle!

Liam

So, I'm bored, and have been making good use of the 'My Library' radio feature on the last.fm website, so thought I'd bring the fun to here.

Basically, when we had the board games, there used to be a similar one where you shuffled 10 songs on your iPod, listed them and commented on them. I suggest doing the same thing through last.fm, seeing as it tracks all your listening so will have kept any 'fad' listenings you had and so on.

1) James Taylor 'Fire And Rain' - came from a thread on DVDR, where someone recommended it. Probably downloaded it and listened to it once.

2) Suicidal Tendencies 'You Got, I Want' - a Myke favourite I believe, checked out when I was at Uni, but never really got into

3) Goo Goo Dolls 'Iris' - sadly enough, probably one of the higher placed tracks in my chart.....love the album as a whole, though

4) Helmet 'Sinatra' - I liked the Deftones cover version, so checked it out a little while ago....probably prefer the Deftones version.

5) Oasis 'The Importance Of Being Idle' - as I said in another topic, the only recent Oasis song that I really like

6) An Albatross 'Electric Suits and Cowboy Boots' - I don't mind An Albatross, probably prefer them to The Locust due to the synthy bits in the background

7) Bloc Party 'Banquet' - good song, never been into Bloc Party as much as I feel I should be, but they were always good for a drunken dance in the Indie clubs I went to

8) Maroon 5 'This Love' - what can I say? I used to like several of the tracks off thier debut

9) Reuben 'Missing Fingers' - not one of thier better songs, but more of the board now know who does and doesn't like the band, and I like them

10) Ra 'Walking And Thinking' - Me and Summ are fans, and a few more on the board I'm sure.....one of my favourite songs by them

So yeah, get involved if you can be bothered >_>

Hey, it's a way to start my weekend.

1. Rammstein - "Adios" - Heh, I have no idea how long it has been since I've even listened to this song. It is one of my favorite Rammstein tracks though, the main riff is awesome and usually gets my head nodding along.

2. Meshuggah - "Sane" - Well this is something I have listened to on a more frequent manner, so to speak. Not my favorite Meshuggah song by any stretch of the word, but the album is fucking ace. One of my fondest memories last year, seeing these guys live after such a long fucking time of fandom.

3. Cannibal Corpse - "Unite The Dead" - Ah, CC. There isn't much to say about the guys over at the Corpse camp: you know what you get when you pick the product up. Again not a song that I'd really rank as one of my favorites from the band, but the difference between a mediocre Corpse song and a good one is kind of iffy at the best of times.

4. Deicide - "Sacrifical Suicide" - Another States-side death metal giant, and one of their best tracks to boot! The problem with Deicide I've always had, besides Glen Benton being an obnoxious asshole, is that the overall level of their material is pretty shitty. Then again, their standout tracks are some awesome cuts of death metal.

5. Anal Cunt - "I Noticed That You're Gay" - It's Anal Cunt. What is there to say? Mostly these guys get the airtime when I am drunk and with friends. Otherwise I rarely listen to them on purpose anymore.

6. The Queers - "I Hate Your Fucking Guts" - Short Music For Short People is a fucking awesome album, and is in my opinion probably the most brilliant example of how to arrange your songs on an album. Never get bored even though it's a 101 different bands, 101 songs type of deal.

7. Modest Mouse - "Bukowski" - The chink in my blackened metal armor! Or one of the many, at least. Good News For People Who Love Bad News was my first touchdown with the band, and something I bought completely on a whim while I was over in the States. Never looked back since. People, take risks outside of what you find good, sometimes it does pay off.

8. Bo Hansson - "Lothlorien" - A Swedish composer/songwriter whose prog-influenced theme records are one of my more recent loves of life. His records are on the whole very mellow and smooth, incorporating a wide texture of sound and instruments despite usually only having two or three people at the studio recording it. It's sad that he isn't that well-known outside of his home country.

9. Korpiklaani - "Rise" - The more times I get to see these guys live, the more times I think that they might just be the most energetic live band there is on the face of this Earth. Even with puffed eyes and the day before banging at the back of your skulls, they make you lift your leg and jig like there is no tomorrow, every single time.

10. Blind Guardian - "A Dark Passage" - What the fuck. I don't listen to Blind Guardian.

1) It's a Hit - We Are Scientist - This was the first song I heard from them and is one of my favourites from the album. Haven't checked out their latest yet, everyone seems to be frowning on it though.

2) Disappear - Hoobastank - My friend got me this album, I'd only ever heard the first one once as background music. This one was more of their breakout work though, you all know why (FOUND A REASON FOR MEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE). Don't care much for this song though.

3) Flowers in the Window - Travis - I used to love this album, it seemed to transition from dark to light with each song, this being an example of the light.

4) Living for the Weekend - Hard-Fi - On reflection, this album isn't too bad but I don't listen to it much at all.

5) Get Heavy - Lordi - I think we all went through that Lordi phase, right? Couldn't imagine what triggered it though...

6) Stab My Back - The All-American Rejects - Got into them when I heard Move Along, this song is OK. They have another album coming out soon so I should check that out.

7) Bye Bye Bye - *Nsync - :wub: Pop is my guilty pleasure and I love this song.

8) Checkmarks - The Academy Is... - I forget how I got into them, I figure it's easy to put it down to Dragsy. Doing this just led to me finding out they have another album out, I never got around to listening to their 2nd.

9) A Winters Sky - The Pipettes - Pull Shapes grabbed my attention a few years ago so I checked out the album, only liked a few songs on it and this wasn't one of them. Now Ringo tells me that two of them left and the band only remains as a shadow of it's former self.

10) Three Evils (Embodied in Love and Shadow) - Coheed & Cambria - I've always preferred this album and this is one of my favourites from it. Still need to listen to No World For Tommorow though, I am so very slow in my music listening, you might have gathered that by now though.

This, I should note, was my 2nd attempt at this list. I didn't note the tracks as they came up first time. Interestingly though I too got Iris. Got a Savage Garden song as well (Affirmation) which makes me think that was the list that was meant for you Liam, but alas, it wasn't to be.

1) Magnolia Wind - Guy Clark

I have a soft spot for this song and it's opening lines "I'd rather sleep in a box like a bum on the street, than a fine feather bed without your little ol' cold feet, and I'd rather be deaf, dumb and stone blind, that to know that your mornings will never be mine". It's a thing of beauty.

2) Please Come To Boston - Dave Loggins

I haven't heard this song in YEARS. I think I downloaded it when it was mislabeled as a Harry Chapin song and it's actually a pretty great song.

3) Helpless - Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.

Another beautiful song that I haven't heard in a while.

4) Butterfly (So Much Wine) - Christy Moore

I'm turning up a lot of folk and country here that I haven't heard in a couple of years. This is from the only Christy Moore album I own and it's such a very pretty album, this is a very nice and bittersweet song about someone in love with an alcoholic.

5) Waiting for My Real Life To Begin - Colin Hay

Most famous from Scrubs (as a lot of Colin Hay is). It's a truely great song from someone so many people just know as "That guy who was in Scrubs" or from Men At Work.

6) Daughter - Loudon Wainwright III

From the Knocked Up Sountrack/Album that LWIII did. A very nice song, not my favorite LWIII song but I like it.

7) Oh Mary - Neil Diamond

I'm actually not too keen on this song at all.

8) Wild World - Jimmy Cliff

I've liked Jimmy Cliff ever since I saw him on Nevermind the Buzzcocks and he just got points for Phill Jupitus' team simply because he was Jimmy Cliff. I've not listened to that much of his stuff but what I've heard I like.

9) I'm Still Standing - Elton John

I always think of an old Football Focus video package when I hear this song. It was about all the older players/former FA Cup winners like Ian Rush and a few others who were playing lower league football at the time and playing in the FA Cup in that year.

10) Sisters of Mercy - Sting and The Chieftains

I like the Leonard Cohen song itself, this is okay.

1. That's Not My Name - The Ting Tings. The ultimate fad listen for me. I listened to it so many times the first day I heard a few months ago, and not at all since. Decent song though.

2. House of Jealous Lovers - The Rapture. I love The Rapture in general, and particularly this song. Brilliant dance-rock music.

3. Times Like These - Foo Fighters. I used to like the Foo Fighters but now I can hardly stand the sound of them. This is one of their songs I can still bear listening to though.

4. Don't Go Near The Water - Johnny Cash. It's funny how nearly all of these have been fad listens so far. I used to listen to Cash quite a lot back when everyone did but have barely given him a thought since then. It's a good song though.

5. Train In Vain - The Clash. I love this song. Probably my favourite Clash song along with "Hateful".

6. Four Winds - Bright Eyes. I listened to this so much in anticipation of last year's album Cassadage. I wasn't disappointed. A fantastic album, with this song being one of the standout tracks.

7. Let's Go Crazy - Prince. I love Prince. He has gone from being a guilty pleasure to one of my favourite artists ever. Such a talented musician. I've got a live version of this song too. It's incredible.

8. Tap At My Window - Laura Marling. I really enjoyed Marling's album "Alas, I Cannot Swim." This is a song from the album I haven't listened to as much as a few others, though I still rate it very highly.

9. Impatience - We Are Scientists. A definite highlight from what I thought was a slightly disappointing follow-up to their brilliant debut. I wasn't surprised when I found out this song was being released as a single. It's one of my favourite WAS songs.

10. Know Your Enemy - Rage Against The Machine. Eh...I suppose it is one of their better songs.

Edited by metalman

8) Checkmarks - The Academy Is... - I forget how I got into them, I figure it's easy to put it down to Dragsy. Doing this just led to me finding out they have another album out, I never got around to listening to their 2nd.

Yeah, I pretty much hate them now.

Santi was horrible to the degree that I don't even want to check out their new album.

1. Social Distortion - Story Of My Life.

I only listened to this one once, since I'm not a huge Social Distortion fan outside of the song Angel's Wings. It's decent I suppose.

2. Feist - Inside And Out.

I'm a huge Feist fan, but I didn't even know I had this song. It has the added quality of being a Bee Gees Cover, so. That's rad.

3. The Exies - Once In A Lifetime.

I love The Exies. I love the song Once In A Lifetime. The combination of the two I must adore right? Right. It's actually high quality if you ask me. It isn't a traditional cover where it sounds the same as the original, it gives it a new sound.

4. Envy On The Coast - Green Eyes Don't Lie.

I'm not a big fan, but this song was the first one I heard, and it just seems to be completely better than any other song by them.

5. Kimya Dawson - Tire Swing.

Fuckin' Juno. Next.

6. Turisas - Rasputin.

Finnish Metal? Check. Cover of a Disco Song? Check. Song about Rasputin and being an amazing lover? Check.

7. Ben Folds - Brick.

One of my favorite songs, regardless of the subject matter.

8. Rick Astley - Ain't Too Proud To Beg.

Say what you will about the RickRoll, but he wasn't bad.

9. Andrew W.K - Ready To Die.

Seeing him live, and singing this song with 60+ people on stage made it one of my favorites. Never have I seen so many people sing one song together.

10. No Use For A Name - This Is A Rebel Song

Covers seem to be reoccurring in my music tastes. It's a good cover. Not much else to say.

1) Summoning - "Across The Streaming Tide"

I have been digging Summoning alot more lately then I used to, so that might credit the fact that this came up as number one. Also most Summoning songs are fucking epic and I love that. They do Tolkien Metal awesome... probably because they are the only band that identifies their music as Tolkien Metal but what the heck, they are fucking great anyways.

2) Cryptopsy - "Slit Your Guts"

Ah yes, a song from my early journey into death metal. It has been ages since I last listened to this song and it was fantastic being fondly notified again of how awesome this song actually is. Actually, it has been a while since I last listened to anything Cryptopsy. I might go a slam on an album of theirs now.

3) The Berzerker - "Abandonement"

The Berzerker, the band that will forever have the title "We Ruined Grindcore!". At least they did with their latest album. <_<

4) Finntroll - "Ur Djupet"

Well, that was surprising. It's been some time since I last gave Finntroll a spin and Ur Djupet certainly isn't my favorite from that album. Albeit the entire album being good, it peaked after the first six songs. But nonetheless a good rehashing of Finntroll.

5) Karelian Warcry - "66 406"

Christ this list is just tapping out all the oldies. Despite Warcry being a somewhat new band, but that is for another time. At least it had the decency to play one of the most awesome intros to an album I have heard in some time. It really sets the stage for a good metal experience, and although I think the album itself gets a little repetitive at places, Kylmä Rautainen is still a fun ride.

6) Bolt Thrower - "In Battle There Is No Law"

Yes! Bolt Thrower are fucking immense. I wub them. And it's one of my favorite songs to boot! Although Last.fm played some strange cutty version that still lasted for four minutes. Sounded like they had removed the vocals and pushed the tempo and tune up with a couple of notches; actually it sounded like a bad cover because the lead singer sounded nothing like Karl Willetts.

7) Rompeprop - "Concrete Hamburger"

Oh, Rompeprop how I love thee. My favorite grindcore band of the moment. They are awesome, and it cant be said enough.

8) Borknagar - "Revolt"

I mostly checked this band out because of Vortex from Dimmu Borgir's involvement. I was pleasantly surprised because Vortex is really a great musician. Borknagar though didn't really continue the trend of good albums and there I stuck to Quintessence and The Archaic Course.

9) Korpiklaani - "With Trees"

Uhm, well yeah. Awkward. I had a brief spell with Korpiklaani upon my return from Finland but what was about it. What a strange choice of song also.

10) Rage Against The Machine - "Snakecharmer"

Hell yes, RATM. Not that decriptive, eh? <_<

1) It's a Hit - We Are Scientist - This was the first song I heard from them and is one of my favourites from the album. Haven't checked out their latest yet, everyone seems to be frowning on it though.

See, I like it. Yes it's lost it's 'balls' and 'erratic'-ness of their debut, but there's still some great tunes. "Chick Lit", "Tonight", "After Hours", "Ghouls", "Dinosaurs" etc.

I don't have Last.fm (Well I do, but I can't log onto it :shifty:)...but I never delete shit, so here's just a bit of a winamp shuffle;

1. "Martell" by The Cribs

I don't particuarly like "The New Fellas" that much. I mean, there's a few great tunes on it, but it's my least favourite Cribs release. This tune is okay, but I do find it a little dull, especially in comparison to a lot of Cribs tunes that are generally so full of energy.

2. "10.45 Amsterdam Conversations" by Funeral For A Friend

FFAF used to be so fucking good. Not my favourite FFAF song from their EP period, but at the same time, every tune from that and the Casually Dressed period were fucking awesome.

3. "About You Now" by Sugababes

FUCK YEAH! Got to love Sugababes. The overall qualiy of singles has been dropping recently, their new one is fucking awful. They used to get 2/3 great singles from an album, doesn't seem to be that way anymore. But this was a fucking classic, one of the best tunes of last year, no doubt about it.

4. "Something" by Lasgo

I CAN SEE IT IN YOUR EYES! THERE IS SOMETHING! SOMETHING YOU WANNA TELL ME!.....early 00's, 90's fallout, dance cheese, fucking brilliant.

5. "Chris Cayton" by Goldfinger

Goldfinger used to be such a fucking amazing band. "Get Up" on their new album showed they can still put out such a fucking insane song if they want to, but that's like 1 good song from 2/3 albums...bloody ridiculous. This is back from the "Hang-Ups" days, back at their best. Actually one of my favourite Goldfinger tracks, makes me just want to dance.

6. "You Make Me Laugh" by Klima

Klima is the bird from Piano Magic, she put out a great solo record last year, this tune is from there. Great song, great album. Just such a cute voice.

7. "Violets Are Blue" by The Killing Tree

Where Tim McIlrath of Rise Against fame first teamed up with, Todd Mohney (one of the good guitarists Rise Against had :shifty:). A band that never officially disbanded, but given it's style, more of a slower pace/hardcore vocals, I dout McIlrath will ever revisit them, although a 'new' song surfaced earlier in the year, it was merely an old recording finally getting a release. Also random tidbit, McIlrath and Pete Wentz were also once in a 'heavy' metalcore band with each other. They were actually quite good. Arma Angelius or something. I used to have an EP by them, I can't find it though. Erm...this. Good tune. One of the first Killing Tree tune I heard, along with "Them's Fighting Words" (which is better). From the awesome "The Romance Of Helen Trent" CD, check it out.

8. "Insomnia" by Feeder

After seeing them at Leeds, I fell back completely in love with Feeder. Fuck whoever on here (someone did, can't remember who) who said they were shit live. Fucking brilliant tune. Also, I remember vividly the Teachers episode it featured on. Kurt was eating his breakfast and dropping shreddies onto Simon. :shifty:

9. "More Than Words" by Extreme

hahahahaa...TUUUUNE!

10. "Slow Moves" by Jose Gonzales

"...we'll keep on whispering our mantras"...lovely tune. His 2nd album was a bit of a dissapointment, but his debut was absolutely amazing.

1. Voltaire - Where's The Girl?

I haven't listened too much to Voltaire lately, but it's always nice to be reminded how good he can be, and this is one of his finer moments, probably one of his best "serious" efforts, yet still able to indulge my inner goth.

2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - The Dead Flag Blues

One of my favourite songs ever, simple as that. It's lush, beautiful, so textured - there's stuff in there you might never hear no matter how many times you listen to it, until you crank the volume up and listen through headphones and notice all these things going on in the background. It's just the best thing GY!BE have ever done, and it's amazing.

3. Tom Waits - Cemetery Polka

Great track off one of the finest Tom Waits albums, one of the best albums ever recorded, and the first Waits album I bought - and this song sums up the style of the album pretty well - Beefheartesque abstract brilliance.

4. Robots In Disguise - Arguments

A good track...but I have no real further insight to give.

5. Beck - Nobody's Fault But My Own

Among my more musically focused friends, Beck is something of a God-like figure who can do no wrong. I never really got what the fuss was about, to me he's just another decent songwriter I never really got into, but bless him for trying. This is a pretty decent country-ish song, though, although I prefer his "wackier" stuff.

6. Dead Kennedys - Holiday In Cambodia

It's the fucking Dead Kennedys, off their best album, with one of their best tracks. POL POT. YES.

7. The Cramps - Human Fly

More brilliant surf guitar punk, who'd have thought? If you don't know The Cramps and love them, get out.

8. Guru Guru - See you at the Dhalai Lama

Some krautrock track or other. I know absolutely nothing about this song. It seems pretty good, though.

9. The Ramones - Blitzkrieg Bop

HEY HO LETS GO.

10. Howlin' Wolf - Spoonful

'nuff said.

http://www.last.fm

Using a music recommendation system called "Audioscrobbler", Last.fm builds a detailed profile of each user's musical taste by recording details of all the songs the user listens to, either on the streamed radio stations or on the user's computer or some portable music devices. This information is transferred to Last.fm's database ("scrobbled") via a plugin installed into the user's music player. The profile data is then displayed on the user's profile page. The site offers numerous social networking features and can recommend and play artists similar to the user's favourites.
Edited by ALPHA Cloudy

1) "Stadium Arcadium" by Red hot Chili Peppers - I've got the whole of that album on there. It isn't a bad song, but not my favourite on the album.

2) "So This Is Great Britain" by The Holloways - They haven't been doing much recently, and in truth i had totally forgotten about them, but i once liked them.

3) "Parabola" by Tool - One of my favourite tracks from the band, and maybe one of my most played, both on Last.fm and my MP3 player.

4) "Learn To Fly" by Foo Fighters - Who doesn't like this track?

5) "Discotech" by Young Love - IIRC, it was on the soundtrack for one of the FIFA games. I found it quite catchy at the time.

6) "Rock Me Amadeus" by Falco - For one reason or another, i love this track.

7) "Run" by Snow Patrol" - The song that makes people see "Chasing Cars" as the pile of trash that it is. A classic.

8) "The Power of Love" by Frankie Goes To Hollywood - Meh, guilty pleasure.

9) "The Prayer" by Bloc Party - Gone off this track lately. I used to love it though, listening to it at every chance. I also thought the video was great.

10) "Weekends And Bleak Days" by The Young Knives - A nice little fun track here. Not always tolerable, but it'll do.

But it only works with an ipod, that's lame. No use for me.

It works with anything played off your computer, providing you've got the right plug-ins for your media player (which take all of a couple of seconds to download and install).

I don't play music off my computer though. I have an mp3 player for travel and use a computer to rip albums for the player, but for home listening I have a separate sound system where I play my CD's. The player does recognise discs but doesn't count how many times you listen to everything.

I am a heavy consumer, but I guess the only way to count anything is by hand. :(

1. L7 - "Pretend We're Dead"

Heard this on San Andreas, wasn't keen on it, but it grew on me.

2. Chevelle - "The Red"

Ugh, one of those tracks you like for a week then becomes a track of staggering amounts of meh.

3. Comes With The Fall - "Beautiful Destroyer"

Great, and still one I play as I found the album only about a week ago.

4. Creed - "Higher"

Ugh, see number 2, just a better song by a more annoying band.

5. Los Halos - "Black Thread"

It's on the Driv3r soundtrack that I bought. It's ok, but not one of the stand outs on the album.

6. Stone Temple Pilots - "Naked Sunday"

No much I can say really, but it's one of the best tracks on "Core".

7. Rage Against The Machine - "Bombtrack"

Same as number 6 really, one of the best off the self-titled album.

8. The Killers - "Bones"

Wow, I haven't listened to Sam's Town for ages. It's ok, but not a patch on "Read My Mind" or "When You Were Young".

9. Trapt - "Skin Deep"

Again, haven't heard Trapt in a while. Like in the intro/riff and the chorus.

10. Rise Against - "Build To Last"

Haven't listened to Rise Against in months. I've just totally gone off them. "Built To Last" is one of my least favourite tracks of thiers to boot too.