What do you use to buy?

Benji

This isn't a thread for all the "rar lol i pirat it all", everybody knows that everyone does that, for those that do buy the occasional or regular albums, what do you buy using? I've always bought CD's, but I'm contemplating just using iTunes, the only problem is that I'm not sure if, say, I lost all my music through a wiped HD, I would be able to regain my music, would your iTunes account allow you to redownload them for free?

As far as I'm aware it only counts as one download/license or something so if you deleted it or lost it for whatever reason you're buggered unless it's backed up somewhere. I used to buy CDs mainly and will continue to get them for the albums I really want, but am turning towards iTunes for singles and impulse buys. Mainly because we sell the gift cards at work and I get 10% discount on them. So thats £5 from a £50 card which can actually get you quite a lot if you spend a while looking around.

If I ever buy, I just buy CDs. But my dad has a collection of vinyl records, well - a couple hundred, but I've always fancied having my own sometime. I don't have the money for it just now, but maybe one day. Plus I don't know if we really have a proper record shop round here, but it's something I'd like to have.

If I say, backed it up to an external HD regularly, that would be a safe bet, yes? I'm buying one anyway and just want to make sure it won't be all "RAR! THIS COMPUTER IS NOT COMPATIBLE WITH THIS MUSIC!" if I ended up, say, getting a new computer and putting it on there instead.

EDIT: Also, Genius doesn't seem to be so smart, it's telling me the top items I am missing are... the same song I've got highlighted :/

Edited by British Benjdog

I mostly pirate all my music. If it's a band I really like, I'll still pirate the music when it leaks, then buy the album when it's released (Nine Inch Nails, Tool, Dillinger Escape Plan, etc).

The only time I really go to music stores, though, is to look for vinyl to add to my collection. Places like Hastings sometimes sell vinyls, and Hot Topic usually have a few pearls. And there used to be a locally owned CD store in the Murfreesboro mall, but it's disappeared since they remodeled :(.

Edited by Tristy

I buy CD's. Don't have to worry about computers breaking down nor about putting on a PC just to give an album a spin. That's why I don't like buying music online. Plus you get the best quality sound (which IS important if you have a good hi-fi system - compressed music just doesn't have any dynamics), lyrics sheets, album art and everything else all wrapped up in a nice package when you get a CD. It's quite a simple choice for a music lover. Ordering CD's online is also easy - don't have to roam the streets for your favourite bands debut album.

As for pirating, I'm not even going to the fact it's stealing, but a CD usually only costs the equivalent of two pints of beer. That's not much for something that provides entertainment for the rest of your life. You pay more for new albums, and I usually do get like maybe a dozen new albums a year, but those are always by bands I really know I am a fan of and just want to own all their releases. Also, nowadays new albums usually have special bonus thingies like interviews, videos, DVD's, commentary etc when you get the first pressing aka limited edition. So that makes it worth while for me.

I don't really consider people who don't buy their favourite group's releases (on CD, vinyl, mp3 whatever way) fans at all. Or alternatively, if you don't think their music is worth your money, maybe you just have bad taste in music.

One more thing - those original discs look so god-damn cool on the CD towers. Gives a personal touch to your living room and keeps one corner off limits from your wife's decorating enthusiasm and saves you money from some of the useless (not to mention ridiculous and expensive) stuff women like to fill their homes with.

Mine will vary depending on the artist. Someone I'm trying out or otherwise not a huge fan of I'm download across the various sites. A band I like a fair bit I'll tend to get the album, one of the bands I'm an avid fan of will usually see me get the album on CD and vinyl and then any singles released on 7".

but a CD usually only costs the equivalent of two pints of beer

Are you overpaying for beer, or underpaying for CD's?

Overpaying for beer, unfortunately.

Anyway, since most artists' back catalogues are usually midprice, meaning you can find the majority of all CDs with a reasonable price, it's only the new ones you actually have to pay the full price for. That was what I was getting at.

CDs all the way. If I'm gonna be buying something, I'd much rather have it in physical form. I rip them to my computer and play them there (to put on my MP3 and for Lastfm scrobblibility), but I know I could take it over a friends or lend it to a friend easier if I wanted or, play it in a car or hifi, or if I lost the files or deleted them to free up space on my MP3 player for uni work, I could re-rip/put them back on later. Plus, although at the moment it matters shit, but like old vinyls are now, CDs may be worth something, which MP3s won't. And you get the nice, shiny artwork. ^_^

As for pirating, I'm not even going to the fact it's stealing, but a CD usually only costs the equivalent of two pints of beer. That's not much for something that provides entertainment for the rest of your life. You pay more for new albums, and I usually do get like maybe a dozen new albums a year, but those are always by bands I really know I am a fan of and just want to own all their releases. Also, nowadays new albums usually have special bonus thingies like interviews, videos, DVD's, commentary etc when you get the first pressing aka limited edition. So that makes it worth while for me.

I don't really consider people who don't buy their favourite group's releases (on CD, vinyl, mp3 whatever way) fans at all. Or alternatively, if you don't think their music is worth your money, maybe you just have bad taste in music.

I don't want to turn this into a big debate over downloading music and not downloading music but I feel I need let you know a couple of things about it.

First of all, I download music. I don't care if people think it's "stealing" but the fact is, I listen to a lot of music so it wouldn't be very cost effective for me to buy every single CD that I would download. Plus, sometimes I can't even find the CD in the stores around me most of the time anyways.

Secondly, if you think that buying a band's CD supports them that much, you're wrong. It's been known for awhile now that buying their merchandise (clothing, etc.) and going to see them live are where they make most of their money. Yeah sure there are bands like Metallica out there who have it in their contracts to get big percentages from the sales but most band's receive close to the equivilent to jack shit from album sales.

Not to mention that the RIAA (which represent I believe the 7 major record labels) are full of a bunch of pricks who only care about their bankroll and if they can afford to buy an 85 foot yacht this year as opposed to a 75 footer.

Why do you think bands like Radiohead and Nine Inch Nails are no longer are apart of record labels? They make insanely more money by representing themselves online than they do on a label.

So if you REALLY want to support a band you like, buy a t-shirt or see them live. Otherwise, you're not helping them out anymore than you are hurting them as I highly doubt that the musicians care about the 35 cents they got from you that day.

Oh and I apologize Benji, I didn't mean to turn this into a big debate over downloading.

As far as what I do when I do buy CD's (I'm like Tristy in that I'll buy CDs I'm really into) I usually just buy them wherever it's convenient. Though I may start looking into place similar to amazon.com.

Edited by P52 Bomber