The 2008-09 FA Cup Thread

Matt

I just don't like to see Man U/Chelsea/Arsenal/Liverpool winning it all the time. The so-called 'Big Four', plus whenever I see them all play each other the games are generally pretty drab, with a few exceptions. I'd find a Hull-Everton final a lot more interesting than a Man U-Arsenal one, for example. You get the feeling it means more to some of the smaller teams too, I mean how highly will Man Utd rate this alongside the Premiership & Champions League?

That's your opinion I guess, I understand where you're coming from. Last year proved how it's just as shit when an underdog team wins it. I wasn't interested in the final one single piece and why anyone would want to watch that (Outside of Pompy/Cardiff fans) over something like United/Chelsea is beyond me. This year just feels different too. Clearly Alex is playing to the media that he does give a shit and he really wants it this year and Chelsea will be battling because it'll more than likely end up the only trophy they have a shot of winning if you ask me. I just think this year is actually much better than the last few years and it feels like the top teams actually really give a shit about it like they once did. Plus you've got Everton thrown in there who can cause an upset against one of the bigger teams.

Well I went to the pub to watch it last year and the place was pretty packed. Yeah the game was pretty shit but it was better than United/Chelsea in 07 but yeah, I think you're underestimating the amount of people who really couldn't give a shit about the big 4.

Maybe, although some people might underestimate how many people DO give a shit about the top four. Although if all goes to planned, the final four wont be the TOP FOUR of England, obviously all big teams though. I'm not trying to bring down the smaller teams, I just don't get why some people think that every year a small team needs to reach the final otherwise it's classed as complete shit. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what this year brings I guess.

I don't think anyone's underestimated how many people give a shit about the big 4, they're the big 4 because they're the 4 most well supported clubs in England (just about). But I'd guess that most fans outside the top 4 (which is still the majority, just <_<) do still care about the FA Cup when there aren't any big four clubs in it, but that's not to say they don't care when it's Chelsea/Man Utd either.

Personally, I'll watch any FA Cup final, I'd like for it to be Hull vs. Everton because that means it'd be easier for Everton to win but if I were being realistic, I'd say any of the possible matchups has the potential to be a good cup final or a really shit one.

I also think Arsenal vs. Everton would be a pretty good final, but I think we might get that in the semis.

Edit: I'm already assuming Everton turn this game around :shifty:

Edited by Footjob Fever

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I sat down and watched the entirety of last years FA Cup final, something I've not in a final not involving Liverpool since about 2000. I enjoyed it, even though the match wasn't great, and it felt different and better because both Pompey & Cardiff were striving to win it and you knew that they really wanted it. I'm really not bothered even if Man U & Chelsea are going all-out to win the Cup, because at the end of the day, the pair of them have won pissloads of trophies over the last few years, whereas teams like Everton, Boro & Hull have won none.

You could say that Hull won the Play-Off trophy last season, too. I did say teams like Everton, Hull & Boro though. <_<

Anyway, thank God Everton finally have the lead. I was worried when Boro took the lead but two in six minutes and the game has totally changed.

I'd be more interested in one Big Four team vs. anyone than I would a final with no Big Four teams or two against each other. Another United/Chelsea-type game is no more attractive than Portsmouth/Cardiff or whatever else. The best Cup Final in recent years was Liverpool/West Ham because it's a big team against a team that has more than a slight chance of winning. That's the most exciting set-up, I think - a big team vs. a supportable underdog.

I agree to an extent, but a game between two of the Prem's midtable teams who were evenly matched would be better than a Big Four battle. You see, whenever its Big Four vs someone else you go in thinking 'well, we know who's gonna win here'. Sometimes you're surprised, like with Liverpool-West Ham, and sometimes you're not, like Arsenal-Southampton. I'd enjoy an Everton-Man Utd or Everton-Arsenal final I reckon, but Everton-Burnley or Man Utd-Hull just wouldn't be very good.

Yeah, I think I worded my sentence badly. I didn't really mean a 'supportable' underdog, I meant an underdog with a believable chances of winning. You want the game to be unpredictable but not at the expense of making it seem like an anti-climax like last year.

Yeah, I think I worded my sentence badly. I didn't really mean a 'supportable' underdog, I meant an underdog with a believable chances of winning. You want the game to be unpredictable but not at the expense of making it seem like an anti-climax like last year.

You don't think Cardiff had a legit chance of winning? They were far from favourites, but I wouldn't have been overly surprised to see them win. Or maybe it's because teams I hate winning usually do <_<

Yeah, they did, but that's where the 'not at the expense of making it seem like an anti-climax' bit comes in. Portsmouth vs. Cardiff is inherently an underwhelming cup final. That's why something like Liverpool/West Ham or even Portsmouth/Man United would have been better cup finals.

Saying that, United vs. anyone outside the top 4 would probably be seen as almost a foregone conclusion at the moment. Even Everton and Villa would be up against it if they were facing a United team going for the last leg of a treble/quadruple/quintuple.

So, when's the draw and the highlights on ITV? I'm delighted that the Toffees are in the semi-finals, the ideal draw now would probably be

Everton vs Arsenal/Hull

Man Utd vs Chelsea

With an Everton vs Man Utd final, I did enjoy the Premier League games between the pair this season, and Everton ran Man utd close in them too.

I actually think Everton could pull this off. Man Utd cannot win every game, and they've already got a draw from Man Utd once this season. I can't see Hull beating both Arsenal & Chelsea, so I'll shoot for an Everton-Arsenal final. Hopefully.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I just saw a close-up replay of the Gallas goal...was it just me or did it look like the ball was punched by Myhill towards Gallas? I might be wrong, need to see it again but that's what I thought I saw.

The whole professional thing, maybe Wenger should've shook Brown's hand but how was it being professional with Hull time-wasting from at least the 20th minute?

The Cesc apparently spitting...well I don't know, it's not defendable if true but there's no proof so far.

We deserved to win, Hull deserved nothing from that game.

EDIT: Ok Gallas was offside. Seen it from another angle now.

Edited by TMM

• 1 month later...

Expecting a really good game today. Think it will turn out pretty close, hopefully we put in another confident performance like we did on Wednesday. Everton are a really good side right now and are certainly capable of winning this. Apparently Rafael is finally fit, although not playing, but great news either way.

Guessing Saha can play against us today? Should be interesting. Looking forward to this, haven't seen the teams yet but also hoping to once again see a Macheda run out at some point (Y)

Edit: Just seen the team and really surprised. Both Fabio and Rafael in it, which sounds fantastic and MACHEDA gets his first start :w00t: They're saying it's a 'risk' on ITV, don't really agree with that shit. Nice to see these players get a chance today and it will hopefully make it even more exciting to watch, I'm even more pumped up for this now.

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27