The 2008-09 FA Cup Thread

Matt

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great game, was nervous for a good hour and thought somebody would snatch it at the end. Both teams worked their asses off. Vidic was immense today and it would have been a different game without him. Welbeck penalty was a blatant penalty, but I'm not going to bitch and moan, it didn't get given and we have to accept that. That said, I thought Welbeck should have been the one going off, thought he was very average today. Anderson had buckets of energy again and I thought he was fantastic in midfield.

Surprised Ferdinand ever wanted to take that penalty. As soon as he stepped up I could feel he was going to miss. And Berbatov looked like he had no care when taking his penalty. Great effort from both teams, great atmosphere.

I'll without a doubt be cheering on Chelsea in the final though (Y)

lol, no. I'll give you that it was worth a shout, but it wasn't a blatant penalty. You could tell by Wellbeck's response that it wasn't a penalty.

Edit: Also, haven't had chance to break this out in a while:

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

hahahahaha.......

ha.

Edited by Footjob Fever

I don't know about his immediate response, but when it was showing a replay, and then had a close up of him, he was throwing his arms about, nearly crying. Welbeck, not Ferguson, btw. ¬_¬

I reckon it was a penalty. There's no way he would've just gone down looking for it after he'd got into that position and nudged it past Howard. I'll agree that most United fans are bound to see it the way I do too, but I honestly think it should've been. The problem Riley would've had then was that he might've had to send Jagielka off for stopping a clear goal-scoring chance.

On the whole, I thought Riley was shit today, for both teams. I said before the game there'd be no way we'd get awarded a penalty after all of this stuff has been going around about Riley being a United fan. Some may say we've had soft pens in the past, so it serves us right, but it doesn't really stand up when these things are supposed to be case-by-case.

Taking a positive outlook on it all, I'd rather go out now than reach the final and lose to Chelsea. I don't think I could bear Terry and co. lifting the FA Cup/any Cup, really, after beating us for it. I won't mind so much if they hammer Everton 3-0 and win it.

I'll agree with you that Riley was absolute shit for both sides, but he got the penalty call correct. The contact was so minimal that if Riley had given that penalty, he'd have had to give at least 10 others in that game and if Howard hadn't have been in no-man's land, no-one would've even questioned the decision.

Well they showed the close up replay about 328473743 times and it was clear there was contact. Welbeck is through on goal (AN EMPTY GOAL) and only has to side foot it in. So if he's touched and taken down, how is it NOT a penalty? That's why I believe it's a blatant penalty. There was contact, so I don't see how anyone can say it's not a penalty, even if the contact wasn't on purpose. And the majority of people saying it wasn't a penalty would have said it was had it not been United (Y)

And to add to that, I forgot to say how happy I am that Rafael is back. He looked really good today and he continues to up his defensive game. I think he's actually more important to us than some realise and right now I'd put him as the first choice right back by a million miles. Very happy he's back.

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27

Fabio looked very promising and I wouldn't hesitate to throw him in over O'Shea at left back if something happens to Evra but it's worrying that he can't seem to go more then an hour when playing matches. Everytime I have seen him play he's had to come off

I thought Welbeck and Rafael looked good too, Rafael had to be more restrained keeping up with the likes of Pienaar and Baines and did a decent job. Dont know why a right footed striker was playing on the left wing but Welbeck made the most of it and looked sharp

The penalty order confused me but I must say Vidic's penalty was surprising! I expected him to hit Row Z or break the post and instead he does Ronaldo's little run-up and tucks it away!, good stuff.

The penalty order confused me but I must say Vidic's penalty was surprising! I expected him to hit Row Z or break the post and instead he does Ronaldo's little run-up and tucks it away!, good stuff.

The mere fact that he's a defender doesn't mean he's basically a beer-swilling, shaven headed building site worker with more than a little ass crack visible whose first instinct upon seeing a ball is to boot it out of the ground.

He's a professional footballer at Manchester United. Therefore I expected him to score.

I was surprised that one of Scholes or Tevez didn't volunteer to take a penalty. Granted it was probable that Tevez was going to take the 5th one, you'd expect them to step up and be chosen over Rio or Vidic.

Thing thing with Welbeck is he seems to lack either balance or composure when he's through on goal. There've been quite a few times this season when he's been one-on-one with the keeper and just stumbled and fell over trying to get his shot off.

Fabio looked very promising and I wouldn't hesitate to throw him in over O'Shea at left back if something happens to Evra but it's worrying that he can't seem to go more then an hour when playing matches. Everytime I have seen him play he's had to come off

He's only 18 and has played only a couple of senior level games, you've gotta give him time before he is ready to play for that long at this level, it's the highest level you can be at.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to double post but the last one was over a month ago!

Less than 48 hours to go now and most of my family is gearing up for their first final in 14 years. As usual though, there is zero optimism and everyone thinks Chelsea will win. I've got a feeling however, that Moyes and his men can pull it off. Yes there's no Jagielka, but Everton have managed nearly all season with a less than full-strength squad, and they are yet to be beaten by Chelsea in 2008/09.

Guest Ringmaster

I wish Everton would win, but if I was a gambling man I'd never bet against any team managed by Guus Hiddink, man's a mensch when it comes to one off games.

Except against that cheating ref from a bad, bad league at Barca!

If you've got Sky Setanta are showing the game and all the build up for free, channel 423 has been unencrypted even if you're not a subscriber until around 7pm. I'd turn over now because although you have to put up with Stan Collymore, you get to stare at Rebecca Lowe for a couple of hours.

Heading out in half an hour, getting pretty excited now, I'm hoping for a good game today if nothing else. I can really see the game going to extra time to be honest, specially as we've had two goalless draws between the two sides this season.

If you've got Sky Setanta are showing the game and all the build up for free, channel 423 has been unencrypted even if you're not a subscriber until around 7pm. I'd turn over now because although you have to put up with Stan Collymore, you get to stare at Rebecca Lowe for a couple of hours.

So I get to pick between Setanta and ITV, brill.