The FIFA Club World Championship Thread

Baddar

United are playing Gamba Osaka in the Semi Final on Thursday morning. Kick-off is at 10.30am, and it's live on five. That means I'll have to finish early to watch it.

The Final is at the same time, same channel on Sunday.

Anyone know United's squad for it? I know it's a 23-man squad, but all that manutd.com have confirmed at the moment is that Rooney and Neville are in the squad.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

United played in the competition in 2000 instead of defending the FA Cup. And failed miserably.

To be fair though, they had to play 3 games and top a 4 team group to make the final back then. They only need to win one game to make the final now.

Edited by LL's Boy

*Looks at the Wiki*

It didn't take place again til 2005. Liverpool lost in the final that year. Barca lost in the final the following year, and Milan won the final in 2007.

EDIT: Unconfirmed, but this is believed to be the squad that travelled...

Goalkeepers: Van der Sar, Kuszczak, Foster.

Defenders: Neville, Evra, Ferdinand, Vidic, O'Shea, Evans, Rafael.

Midfielders: Ronaldo, Anderson, Giggs, Park, Carrick, Nani, Scholes, Fletcher, Gibson.

Strikers: Berbatov, Rooney, Tevez, Welbeck.

Edited by LL's Boy

My mate is going to watch the Gamba/United game although he's a Liverpool supporter :shifty:

English football is huge in Japan and gets good television and newspaper coverage and I was briefly listening to the radio yesterday and they were talking about the Man Utd/Spurs game. Funny.

They also pimp big for Barcelona but the Gamba fans will give United a very very warm welcome and will just be looking forward to seeing their team play Man Utd even if they get destroyed by them. Japanese fans seem under no illusion about the difference in quality which lifts the weight massively off the players.

If the tournament was still in the same format as it was back in 2000, United probably wouldn't have gone to this competition. If they did they would've sent their reserves over to play.

There's no way United would pull out of the FA Cup again after the stick they got for it last time.