EWB Fantasy Premier League

Lord Nibbler

• 1 month later...

Still a while to go before we can start this, but it might be worth discussing some of the ground rules.

My suggestions, based on the league I'm playing elsewhere:

System A

Everyone starts with a set "transfer budget", which they use to bid for a squad of players. At the end of the season, each manager chooses a number of players to keep for the following season. This can either be a predetermined number, or it could depend on success (i.e. managers at the top of the table can retain more players than managers at the bottom). Players not retained by their club become free agents, and managers bid for players again at the start of the following season.

It's an easy system to run, and it makes it easier for new managers to join (if managers drop out).

System B

Everyone starts with a set "transfer budget" and a set "wage budget". When bidding for players, managers specify a wage and a contract length. Players only leave their club if they are released or sold, or if their contract expires.

It's a more complicated system, but it rewards managers for building up a balanced team.

System C

As System B, except with a mandatory buy-out clause for each player. The buy-out clause is based on transfer value, wage and contract length. Bids that meet a player's buy-out clause can't be rejected, but the manager can offer the player a new contract to try and hold onto the player.

This allows more transfer activity, and makes it harder for managers to hold onto good players that they managed to sign on the cheap.

Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome.

Yeah, I much prefer System A. The other two are a bit complicated, and with the other two, who decides if that player signs a new deal or accepts to join the club offering him the buy out? It's not like reality or a simulation game so it wouldn't really work.

Looks like it's System A, then.

Here are the rules, copy and pasted with a few tweaks. Let me know if you think anything should be added, removed or changed. I will say that the conversion of points to goals seems to work reasonably well. And don't worry about having to work out scores, it's all done with spreadsheets and robots.

Game Rules

Players will be divided into the following categories:

Goalkeepers [GK]

Fullbacks [FB]

Centrebacks [CB]

Central Midfielders [CM]

Attacking Midfielders [AM]

Strikers [sT]

1.1 Line up Requirements

A starting lineup must always contain: 1 GK, 2 CB, 1 FB, 2CM, 1 AM, 1 ST

1a) Each team must play one (and only one) GK.

1b) Each team must play between four and five defenders (CB + FB). No more than three CBs can be played, and a team cannot play more FBs than CBs.

1c) Each team can play up to four attackers (AM + ST). No more than two STs and no more than three AMs can be played.

1d) Each team must list a substitutes bench of five players. The bench cannot contain more than one player in each position. If a player in the starting lineup doesn't play any part in a match, a substitute in the same position (if available) will automatically replace him.

2.1 Point Scoring System

Points are rewarded for each individual player in your starting lineup and any subs used.

Points are added to your team's score for each of the following criteria:

+1 point for each player who plays up to 59 minutes

+2 points for each player who plays 60 minutes or more

+5 points for every goal scored

+3 points for every assist

Points are deducted from your opponent's score for each of the following criteria:

+5 points for a GK who saves a penalty

+5 points for a GK who keeps a clean sheet

+4 points for each CB who keeps a clean sheet

+3 points for each FB who keeps a clean sheet

+2 points for each CM who keeps a clean sheet

Clean sheet points are only attributed to players who play for 60 minutes or more. A player who is sent off will lose his clean sheet bonus if his team subsequently concede.

Points added to your opponent's score for each of the following criteria:

+5 points for each own goal scored

+5 points for conceding a penalty

+3 points for each red card

+1 point for conceding more than three goals, and +1 point for each subsequent goal conceded

The total points earned is converted into a number of goals:

20 total points= 1 goal

25 total points= 2 goals

30 total points= 3 goals

35 total points= 4 goals

40 total points= 5 goals

45 total points= 6 goals

50 total points= 7 goals

etc.

12th Man Bonus

If a game is tied on goals (e.g. 0-0, 1-1) then the home team gains one extra point and any subsequent goal it might result in, representing the advantage of playing at home.

Edited by Lord Nibbler

Midfielders who play in a more advanced attacking role than a traditional wide midfielder I would presume and definitely midfielders that can double up as strikers. I think we're talking about the likes of Ronaldo, Elano, Lennon, SWP, maybe Gerrard etc.

Edited by AD

• 3 months later...

Most definitely, I think this is a great idea.

EDIT: Having looked at the rules, it's mainly fine. I only have two gripes: One is midfielders getting points for clean sheets, I don't see why that's really neccessary but it's not a big thing. The other is what you do if it ends level on goals. Surely draws are ok, and even if you do want a clear winner, what if a game ends, score-wise, 32-33, and it ends 3-3 on the points-to-goals thing, but because the guy who got 32 was at home, he wins? That doesn't seem fair.

Edited by AdamDRFC

EDIT: Having looked at the rules, it's mainly fine. I only have two gripes: One is midfielders getting points for clean sheets, I don't see why that's really neccessary but it's not a big thing.

It's an incentive to buy players like Mascherano or Essien who won't score many goals, but will get clean sheets.

The other is what you do if it ends level on goals. Surely draws are ok, and even if you do want a clear winner, what if a game ends, score-wise, 32-33, and it ends 3-3 on the points-to-goals thing, but because the guy who got 32 was at home, he wins? That doesn't seem fair.

Actually that's a mistake.

The home advantage bonus only comes into effect if the home side is ahead by 4 points but level on goals. So if the score was 34-30 (3-3) then the home team would get an extra point and win 35-30 (4-3).

It's a small thing, and it doesn't happen much, so we can always scrap it.