Oscar Nominations

TheReaper316

I wont post them all here. Theyre on the front page of the Academy Awards website.

Once again Gran Torino and the Dark Knight got snubbed. Benjamin Button has 13? nominations..the most overrated movie in a long time. Rourke got his best actor nomination, but I don't see him winning. Ledger got nominated, too, but I can see him winning.

Dark Knight really should've been a best picture contendor somewhere in award season. Milk gets a nod? That movie was nothing special to me what so ever besides Penn and Brolin's acting, which isn't even award-winning to me. Eastwood really got snubbed though..Gran Torino was one of my favorites of the year. I won't go into anything more..nothing too suprising.

I, on the other hand, WILL post them.

BEST PICTURE: "Benjamin Button", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "The Reader", "Slumdog Millionaire"

BEST DIRECTOR: The same five movies, by David Fincher, Ron Howard, Gus Van Sant, Stephen Daldry, and Danny Boyle, respectively.

BEST ACTOR: Richard Jenkins ("The Visitor"), Frank Langella ("Frost/Nixon"), Sean Penn ("Milk"), Brad Pitt ("Benjamin Button"), Mickey Rourke ("The Wrestler")

BEST ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway ("Rachel Getting Married"), Angelina Jolie ("Changeling"), Melissa Leo ("Frozen River"), Meryl Streep ("Doubt"), Kate Winslet ("The Reader")

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Josh Brolin ("Milk"), Robert Downey Jr. ("Tropic Thunder"), Heath Ledger ("The Dark Knight"), Michael Shannon ("Revolutionary Road"), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Doubt")

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Adams ("Doubt"), Penelope Cruz ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Viola Davis ("Doubt"), Marisa Tomei ("The Wrestler"), Taraji Henson ("Benjamin Button")

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "Frozen River", "Happy-Go-Lucky", "In Bruges", "Milk", "WALL-E"

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "Benjamin Button", "Doubt", "Frost/Nixon", "The Reader", "Slumdog Millionaire"

My thoughts: Really a slapdash list, with not much variety out there. I hope Langella wins, because he did an amazing Nixon. Jolie should win just because everyone has said so. Downey's nomination is way out of left field, but I applaud it, even if I think they'll give it to Brolin -- Ledger has been getting too much hype for too long. Tomei should win, but that doesn't mean I'd make her the favorite -- I'd bet on Henson getting good coattails there. "WALL-E" is a great shocker, but look for "Milk" to take that category. For the others, I'm rooting for "Slumdog" but betting on "Button".

I really don't think Dark Knight was worthy of a Best Picture nomination. The star attraction is Ledger's performance which is the prime thing that makes the film so enjoyable. Take it out and it's really a pretty average film in which the protagonist really isn't the focus of anything.

I think the big shocker is Downey's best support actor nom. A lot of people were saying the Academy wouldn't really recognize it since it was in a comedy. Also I've seen The Reader and thought it sucked. That really should have been The Dark Knight or Wall*E's spot.

I'm glad Hellboy 2 got some recognition in the make-up field.

Once again Gran Torino and the Dark Knight got snubbed. Benjamin Button has 13? nominations..the most overrated movie in a long time.

This makes me laugh cause the only possible Oscar worthy thing in Gran Torino was Eastwood's acting. On the other hand, Benjamin Button was a fascinating movie and totally deserves recognition.

Here are my thoughts (and than predictions).

Too much is being made out of Benjamin Button's multiple nods. It got nominated for a lot of lower level technical awards, but didn't necessarily sweep the big awards. When you actually look at the major awards, Milk received just as many nominations (5) in the exact same categories, Frost/Nixon received a lot of nominations in the major categories (4), and lots of movies received 3 nominations in the major categories. That's not to say that the minor technical awards aren't just as important, but in terms of the public perception Benjamin Button didn't really dominate the awards.

I am happy with all the movies - nothing really too awful nominated. Milk was fantastic, Slumdog was inspiring and the rest of the movies were really good as well. My three favorite movies of the year - Milk, Slumdog and WALL-E - all faired pretty well so I'm happy.

BEST PICTURE: In my opinion, the Academy dropped the ball by not nominating WALL-E. I know they have the best Animated Feature, but c'mon. The movie was seen by many as the best picture of the year. With that said, very predictable nominations with the exception of the surprise of Milk. Not that it wasn't a good movie (I think it's the best of the bunch), but I wasn't sure it'd click with the Academy. My money is on a win for either Milk or Slumdog. The Reader and Frost don't stand a chance, in my opinion, even though they are great movies.

BEST DIRECTOR: Danny Boyle deserves and will probably win. I think he'll probably end up losing for Slumdog and make up for it here.

BEST ACTOR: There was lots of momentum for Langella that seems to have died down a bit. To me it's between Rouke (long shot) and Pitt (the most likely). I'll go with Pitt.

BEST ACTRESS: Perhaps the most competitive category in the entire Oscars. Three great actresses who all have a chance at winning in Winslet, Hathaway and Streep. Winslet is on fire so far this year, Hathaway has all the buzz, but Streep is big with the Academy. If I had my way, Hathaway would win and I think that's what might happen.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Do we even need to go over this? Ledger.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: No Winslet nom? She was AMAZING in the Reader. Tough category because there isn't really a clear cut favorite with the Academy or a lot of buzz. I'll say Tomei because I thought she was great in the Wrestler.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Any movie other than WALL-E to win, in my opinion, is ridiclous.

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: I have a feeling it'll be Slumdog.

Synecdoche, New York is this year's Zodiac. Absolutely deserved more nominations than the zero it got, and the fact that they didn't even give Charlie Kaufman his token screenplay nomination is insane.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: No Winslet nom? She was AMAZING in the Reader.

Well she was nominated for Best Actress in The Reader, so don't get greed man :shifty:

I'd be happy with a win for either Rourke and/or Ledger. Since I think The Wrestler and The Dark Knight are pretty much the only films I've seen on this list.

Oh, and In Bruges as well. Which is really bizarre because it's an awesome film, but I thought it was out ages ago, and to think it's Academy Award worthy is hilariously awesome.

Dammit AMPAS!

The last few years now AMPAS has been able to have wide spread nominees, and choosing what they really felt was the best film of the year. Not what the studios told them to vote for, but what they really thought to be THE BEST OF THE YEAR!

Now this year, Supporting Actor excluded, it's all Drama. I mean, look what we lost this year:

Sally Hawkins

The Dark Knight ( Or at least Christopher Nolan FINALLY getting nominated )

BRUCE SPRINGSTEEN!

But Slumdog gets TWO best song nominations! I loved the film, but TWO songs while snubbing The Wrestler just doesn't go well at all.

They were getting close to actually awarding everything instead of a small group, but it's a step back this year.

Still, this will probably go down as a "Bad" year, or at least one of the weakest of the decade. There's some great films, but nothing that really screams "BEST PICTURE" to me. And there's a difference between a film that takes all the fun out of predicting by bandwagon effect and a truly AMAZING film that wins most awards.

Best Actor

Richard Jenkins for The Visitor (2007/I)

"Didn't see it yet but it's the dad from Step Brothers, and we was kinda awesome in it, so cool"

Frank Langella for Frost/Nixon (2008)

"The bad guy from that Whoopi Goldberg movie where she coaches the Knicks! He was the best part of that movie ( And of Frost/Nixon )"

Sean Penn for Milk (2008)

"Dude! He might win again, but I don't see it. Good job though."

Brad Pitt for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

"Ya know, any other year I wouldn't mind Brad Pitt finally winning the big one, but here it just would feel wrong"

Mickey Rourke for The Wrestler (2008)

"Thank god! He needs to win!"

Best Actress

Anne Hathaway for Rachel Getting Married (2008)

"Expected and greatly appreciated. She should have a chance to make a better speech!"

Angelina Jolie for Changeling (2008)

"Oh, I get it, nominate screaming and crying like the old days instead of Sally Hawkins; AND get Hollywoods power couple nominated! Genius!"

Melissa Leo for Frozen River (2008)

"No shit! That's cool"

Meryl Streep for Doubt (2008/I)

"It's Meryl, so she's getting nom'd, but I can't see her winning for this"

Kate Winslet for The Reader (2008)

"Anne's biggest threat. I'm going for either of them"

Best Supporting Actor

Josh Brolin for Milk (2008)

"He had it on lockdown for a month or so now, but that's not a bad thing"

Robert Downey Jr. for Tropic Thunder (2008)

"THANK YOU! Looks to be another year of actually acknowledging ALL films and not all dramas!"

Philip Seymour Hoffman for Doubt (2008/I)

"Meh, he works I guess."

Heath Ledger for The Dark Knight (2008)

"If not, there would be riots in the streets of LA"

Michael Shannon for Revolutionary Road (2008)

"He looks like Richard Kiel"

Best Director ( And here comes a much deserved nom for Nolan! Give it to me Forrest! )

Danny Boyle for Slumdog Millionaire (2008)

"Awesome. Loved that movie!"

Stephen Daldry for The Reader (2008)

"Well, there's the "Lone Director" spot, and it's not Nolan's! TDK is in!"

David Fincher for The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (2008)

"I REALLY wish he wasn't winning for THIS films"

Ron Howard for Frost/Nixon (2008)

"Good on you Opie. Now, where' Nolan?"

Gus Van Sant for Milk (2008)

"Oh FUUUUUUUUDGE!" ( Only I didn't say fudge )

Best Picture

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

"Ok, not a surprise, luckily 'D' is after 'C'"

Frost/Nixon

"That's a little surpris...... DARK KNIGHT IS BEFORE F! AND THESE ARE ALPHABETICAL! DAMMIT!"

Milk

"Who cares.......Still not a bad movie at all"

The Reader

"YOU STOLE DARK KNIGHTS NOM YOU GENERIC HOLOCAUST/PEDOPHILE FILM!"

Slumdog Millionaire

"Good, win and take the glory away from Benjamin Gump!"

*sigh*

Here are my predictions...

BEST PICTURE: "Benjamin Button", "Frost/Nixon", "Milk", "The Reader", "Slumdog Millionaire"

Well, I'm going to have to predict Slumdog Millionaire because of the hype it's been getting. Not something I want to see happen, as I think Benjamin Buttom was the best movie this year, without a doubt. My way and they'd win, but it'll probably go to Slumdog.

BEST DIRECTOR: The same five movies, by David Fincher, Ron Howard, Gus Van Sant, Stephen Daldry, and Danny Boyle, respectively.

Same reason as above.

BEST ACTOR: Richard Jenkins ("The Visitor"), Frank Langella ("Frost/Nixon"), Sean Penn ("Milk"), Brad Pitt ("Benjamin Button"), Mickey Rourke ("The Wrestler")

I think and hope that Brad Pitt will win. It was by far one of his best acting gigs to date, as he did a fantastic job. Rourke is probably a close runner-up but I think they'll go with Pitt.

BEST ACTRESS: Anne Hathaway ("Rachel Getting Married"), Angelina Jolie ("Changeling"), Melissa Leo ("Frozen River"), Meryl Streep ("Doubt"), Kate Winslet ("The Reader")

I really do think it will be her year this year, and I really hope it is. It seems like this is by far the hardest category to choose from, and Anne Hathaway has been getting rave reviews but I do think it'll either go to Kate or Angelina. I'd bet on Kate though.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Josh Brolin ("Milk"), Robert Downey Jr. ("Tropic Thunder"), Heath Ledger ("The Dark Knight"), Michael Shannon ("Revolutionary Road"), Philip Seymour Hoffman ("Doubt")

I honnestly do believe this was truely an inspiring performance, death or no death. Seriously, forget the circumstances. He should win, based on performance alone.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Amy Adams ("Doubt"), Penelope Cruz ("Vicky Cristina Barcelona"), Viola Davis ("Doubt"), Marisa Tomei ("The Wrestler"), Taraji Henson ("Benjamin Button")

She was phenomenal in this film aswell. I was not aware of her prior to this, but she really had one of the best performances of the film. She should win, and that's who I'd like to see win.

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: "Frozen River", "Happy-Go-Lucky", "In Bruges", "Milk", "WALL-E"

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: "Benjamin Button", "Doubt", "Frost/Nixon", "The Reader", "Slumdog Millionaire"

Those are my picks, and who I want to see win aswell. The only real conflict as far as who I want to see win vs who will win is the Benjamin Buttom/Slumdog thing in both screenplay and picture categories.

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: No Winslet nom? She was AMAZING in the Reader.

Well she was nominated for Best Actress in The Reader, so don't get greed man :shifty:

I'd be happy with a win for either Rourke and/or Ledger. Since I think The Wrestler and The Dark Knight are pretty much the only films I've seen on this list.

Oh, and In Bruges as well. Which is really bizarre because it's an awesome film, but I thought it was out ages ago, and to think it's Academy Award worthy is hilariously awesome.

Whoops, I am having a retarded day today. I thought she was nominated for Best Actress for Revolutionary Road (probably because she got nominated in the Golden Globes and I took that for granted...), which was the movie she deserved the nomination for. I should learn to read better.

Wow, I expected to open this topic to find it full of people bitching about how The Dark Knight/The Wrestler/Iron Man/Whatever didn't earn more nominations, and I'm glad that I didn't find too much of it. It always bugs me when the fanboys complain, they're often way too blind to even recognize the merits of other movies, let alone appreciate them.

Wow, I expected to open this topic to find it full of people bitching about how The Dark Knight/The Wrestler/Iron Man/Whatever didn't earn more nominations, and I'm glad that I didn't find too much of it. It always bugs me when the fanboys complain, they're often way too blind to even recognize the merits of other movies, let alone appreciate them.

Hardly. Like I said I've seen The Reader and thought it in no way was better a picture then The Dark Knight or The Wrestler.

Yeah, Springsteen really got robbed here.

Edited by Snow White and the 7Ups

Hardly. Like I said I've seen The Reader and thought it in no way was better a picture then The Dark Knight or The Wrestler.

I should probably see the entirety of The Reader before I comment, but the first part that I did see reminded me too much of the Charlize Theron/Stuart Townsend vehicle Head in the Clouds. Except with less Charlize in period clothes and more Winslet in mostly no clothes. Oh, and no Stuart Townsend...go figure.

Either way, it didn't seem like a Best Picture nominee in the slightest. Though, Kate was good + nice looking. So I guess that counts in judging the performance.

These Oscars are gay. What about Bruce's song? That was a fucking masterpiece. What about The Dark Knight? The Curious Case of Benjamin Button is a movie I want to destroy and get rid of.. the praise it's getting is just plain stupid. Clint Eastwood needed to be on the best actor category, according to some sources, it's his last movie. As much as I loved every single second of The Wrestler, Rourke won't win it because Oscars are biased. Golden Globes are biased towards Tom Cruise, they <3 him. It's pretty clear the Penn will win... I think he didn't win the Globe because he didn't show up.

Golden Globes are biased towards Tom Cruise, they <3 him.

I'm sure this was a joke, but you are aware Tom Cruise has only won 3 and they were all deserved and for great movies. Not really a bias...

Edited by PunkRockPete