Red Dwarf to return

stokeriño

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...I genuinely didn't know that was gonna happen. Oh my god.

It's kinda growing on me though since the whole thing is just getting so farcical. When you only get a special 3 parter commissioned I guess you have to do something completely out of the ordinary and they're doing just that. If you take it just as a light hearted spin off instead of an extension of the main show then it's got a nice charm to it.

I honestly thought it was quite good. The first part was, at least. When they got to the shop, it was a bit weird, but otherwise I thought it was funny. I'm wondering what's up with all the gold things that the Cat keeps on dropping. Rimmer killing the other Hologram was brilliant, if only because it's nice to see Rimmer get one up on people every now and again.

Also, I'm guessing Kochanski's going to be in it. The references to Series 9 & 10 are interesting too...I wonder if they're actually planning on having another series off the back of this?

One final thing - I wonder if this is all fake, ala "Back to Reality"? I'd take a wild stab at the fact that the squid in the water tank is in fact the Despair Squid, and it's causing them to lose it. I'd love it if they get broken out of it by Holly again. I can see this either having a really good ending, or a really, really bad one...

So wait, what?

This takes place after season 10? There's stuff that's happened in season 9 and 10, which we don't know about yet.

All too much info to try and understand / squeeze into 3 episodes, and it's killing all the comedy. How the hell did they ever plan to get all this stuff into 2 episodes (as per the original plan?)

Need to watch it again because my brain hurts.

So many questions, so little laughs, 30 minutes left. Ugh.

One final thing - I wonder if this is all fake, ala "Back to Reality"? I'd take a wild stab at the fact that the squid in the water tank is in fact the Despair Squid, and it's causing them to lose it. I'd love it if they get broken out of it by Holly again. I can see this either having a really good ending, or a really, really bad one...

I havn't seen these new episodes yet, but that is a very likely outcome. If anybody's read the original books the series was based off, it's exactly how the first book ends. Everybody's back on Earth, everyone's happy, but it turns out that everyone is living the video game.

I don't think its been that bad, I think it suffers from being one story spread over three episodes and the endings come rather abruptly. I wasn't expecting much, its been a twist on what I was expecting but I think I'll reserve full judgment till after I've seen the third.

About the guy whose picture was next to Kochanski, Wikipedia says it's Mel Bibby (the production designer, died in 2002).

Cheers dude, that wasn't there yesterday. Thanks.

Also this...

The first episode achieved overnight ratings of 2.06 million viewers,[16] however this fell to 937,000 for the second episode, a loss of over half the audience.[17]

Well it's kind of to be expected that they wouldn't sustain the 2m viewers, as a lot of them will be tuning in because of the hype and novelty of it. When you consider the other factors- like increased competition on Saturday night TV, 900k+ is still a real good number. Looking forward to seeing this concluded tonight. :)