Red Dwarf to return

stokeriño

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Essentially, a Back To Reality/Better Than Life mix.

It was pleasant enough viewing for a one-off special - I mean it's not like I ever expected an unholy reincarnation of the brilliance of series IV-VI. It would have done better as a single 1 hour (or 90 minutes on TV) airing rather than split up at seemingly ad-hoc junctures. In the end, I'm not going to force myself to hate it on the basis of some higher artistic/super-fan standards. It was quite fun. That is all.

And Stokerina was on-screen for approximately 2 seconds in total, yay. >_>

Let me take a guess:

The sea monster had some sort of hallucinogenic effect on the crew and everything from the point where new hologram woman appeared was fictional. That close?

Spot on.

In the end, I'm not going to force myself to hate it on the basis of some higher artistic/super-fan standards.

I'm just going to hate it for SHEER FUCKING LAZINESS. I mean seriously. We've been waiting how long for some new Red Dwarf? And when it comes it's a rehash of a) an old and far better episode, if the quality of the first bit was anything to go off and b) one of the books? Are you fucking kidding me?

I really don't care about how disjointed the whole thing was, half the charm of Red Dwarf was that it was shit and made no sense. The opener to Season 3 is still hilarious to me... it.. just wasn't funny :/

Overall though, since i knew it weren't going to be anything special since it's being shown on Dave of all channels, but i was pretty disapointed none the less. At first i laughed when Kryton try to make conversation with the post box, but then on the other hand, surely Rimmer would have known what a Post box was and could have put Kryten in his place about it...

On paper im sure it looked like a very good idea. Just don't think it really translated well on TV as a comeback special. It just lacked Red Dwarf humour severely. It lacked any sort of humour overall except for the odd smirk.

Edited by Stevie B

Very confusing in places, especially in there where does this fit in in the whole timeline, since I remember catching that Kochanski died in Series 10 and the last televised series was 8 means there are 2 missing series which is totally confusing when you think last we knew Rimmer was suck in another reality to the others so how are they now back, I guess the whole 2 missing series means they could fix some gaps.

On the story as a whole it was good and the gags were good, only downer was the whole despair squid thing that and the fact they returned in character in a world where their out of character which was kind of stupid although it’s a good angle I don’t think has been done much, most shows tend to tread into their alternative version of earth for the period (like Dr Who) not the real earth although this is mostly to cover up plot histories.

Overall wasn’t too bad, I just hope that we can get a little bit more out of these guys, not like a whole retuning series maybe just a few specials or something.

I was very disapointed. I think I laughed about 3 times in all 3 episodes. The whole first episode seemed a waste, They could have condesned that down to 15 miniutes and expanded the rest of it to make it funnier. I wasn't keen on the storyline anyway, but it could have been much better excecuted.

But I did quite like the nods to past episodes, such as the whole "dispair squid" thing

I don't think it was that bad for what it was, it is making me think of the film Galaxy Quest right now in that it was the same kind of deal (except in reverse) with alterations. If I'm honest, though I like Red Dwarf, I'm no expert on the shows entire run. I thought the special had some decent moments, that Craig Charles had some great scenes. I think for what it was, it was alright.

Have any of the people slating Maid Marion actually seen it? For kids TV it was fucking ace, and frankly stands up rather well against most of the beebs modern sitcoms these days.

TBH it did have a bit of crap to it the town of Worksop for example I grew up there and only the posh part was like that the rest was a dump

Have any of the people slating Maid Marion actually seen it? For kids TV it was fucking ace, and frankly stands up rather well against most of the beebs modern sitcoms these days.

TBH it did have a bit of crap to it the town of Worksop for example I grew up there and only the posh part was like that the rest was a dump

Bizarrely I'm actually on the board to follow this, but what point are you making? Is it a random dig at Worksop or are you actually comparing your childhood to the 1400's for accuracy?

Back on topic I missed the third bit so I'll try to catch the repeat tonight but thusfar I'm really not liking it. The storyline is overwhelmingly dull and the jokes just don't really work. I can see why they've killed off the usual canned laughter since they obviously aren't filming in front of an audience now, but you still have to have jokes surely? That convoluted bit about Lister drying his arse at a hand dryer wasn't funny and went on for five minutes...

Bizarrely I'm actually on the board to follow this, but what point are you making? Is it a random dig at Worksop or are you actually comparing your childhood to the 1400's for accuracy?

Random dig

TBH the way they presented the characters as scruffy and idiots is pretty much what a lot of ppl were like there