Red Dwarf to return

stokeriño

Have any of the people slating Maid Marion actually seen it? For kids TV it was fucking ace, and frankly stands up rather well against most of the beebs modern sitcoms these days. Ignoring Danny John Jules already have we forgotten the aceness of Tony Robinson. Spooners.

Back on vague topic, would I be right in saying the general drop in quality started when Rob Grant left Doug Naylor to it? Much in the same way that the IT Crowd is alright, but nowhere near the standard of Father Ted due to only having one of the original writers? I believe its officially called the Dirty Pretty Things effect.

Tony Robinson made that series. Although they needed a better Robin.....that guy sucked even when I was 8

Robin was meant to suck. That was the point. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This starts tonight at 9pm on Dave. Having seen another quick preview recently with some kind of crazy slo-mo gun battle I'm starting to hold some hope that this isn't a cheap vehicle for X-Factor jokes, so I'm a bit more excited.

It was good as a set-up episode, I suppose. The bit with Rimmer missing their plight on the sonar and Cat being oblivious was probably the best bit of this episode. Although I wasn't loving the lack of explanation for their survival after the last episode, and the graphics for the entire ship AND the scutter's. Won't be as bad though when we get to Earth, I guess.

I loved it, but agree with Katsuya. What happened after Rimmer kicked death in the balls? Was glossed over, but I guess time constraints were a real problem. 20 minute episodes are passe in 2009, after being conditioned to watch 45 minute episodes of LOST, 24, House, etc.

Probably wasn't great TV, but I was marking out like a bitch to seeing a new episode of Red Dwarf on TV. Was just getting into it as well when it cut off. Luckily I only have to wait until tomorrow for my next fix. Whatever the quality of the episodes are, I'm tripping on the nostalgia right now.

same here but it's being repeated episode 1-3 and the making of on Monday so I, like you will have to catch it then.

For everyone annoyed by the lack of explanation for what happened at the end of the last series - Rimmer wasn't even a hologram in the last series, the Rimmer that kicked the Grim Reaper in the balls was the Rimmer that was reconstructed when the nanomachines rebuilt Red Dwarf, so it looks like they've pretty much ignored the last few series and this is something of an unofficial restart - though that begs the question of why Rimmer's a hard-light hologram, but I guess that can be ignored.

Really, not a fantastic episode, but it was only to set-up for what's to come, so the jury's still out. It wasn't as awful as it could've been, had its moments, but also had its painfully obvious gags, so I'm still not overly optimistic, but it'll be interesting to see what's to come.

Just watched it, thought it was a bit dull.

And when a 20 minute show is dull you know its a problem. I get the idea this 3 part story could easily have been a half hour episode if it was on BBC2. Was the other hologram Big Suze from Peep Show by the way, I couldn't quite decide?

Anyone know who the bearded chap on the gravestone was? I had a strange feeling my earlier comment about Rob Grant 'leaving' was coming back to bite me in the arse, but a quick imdb check informed me he's alive and well although 'not happy' about the direction the show went after he left, which bearing in mind that direction was straight to shite I don't blame him...

Yeah, Katerina was played by Sophie Winkleman, who was Big Suze on Peep Show.

That photo had to be someone, but I have no idea who.

Edit: Bahaha, just watched the scene again and the photo all the way to the left is the guy who died in episode 1, The End. George Macintyre.

I really don't know about this. It's one thing to have them back in the present day and humorously referencing current events like the recession, but to have them in a world where Red Dwarf the TV show exists and they're apparently about to go and meet their own actors... that might be one step too far. I'll see how it plays out though, but if they wander onto the Coronation Street set I'm switching off...