Chrono Trigger

Sousa

Cross is incredible, but I've got a thing for RPG's with massive amounts of recruitable characters. 60+ for Cross and 108 for Suikoden

Clearly we need an awesome RPG Megathread

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll give you Suikoden (and Suikoden II for that matter) but Cross being better than Trigger? No no no no no.

I've played through CT over and over again to try to get all the different combinations. I could barely make it through one run of Cross, and could not see how it related to CT at ALL, COMPLETELY different games and worlds. Crono, Lucca and Marle scampering around as midget ghosts? Way to screw all the GOOD theories about Schala over too...

Decent music though.

Yeah, that's part of the appeal of Trigger over Cross. Cross might outnumber Trigger 60-7 in number of characters, but as far as interesting characters go Triggers up 7-0. (At least as far as I've made it through, like I said, I can't sustain interest in it. The only characters I remember are the silent protagonist, the girl with the red jacket who reminds me of Marle, and the dog with the accent.) But whatever works for you is great. I love Phantasy Star 4, and I've never even heard anyone else talk about it before.

Having never play Chrono Trigger, I can say with confidence that Chrono Cross is better.

If Chrono Cross's storyline didn't turn into a nonsensical fucking mess in the last five hours or so, and if the characters who were cool before joining your party remained interesting afterward (Karsh, ZOAH, Fargo, Viper, etc.), then Chrono Cross would be a force to be reckoned with. But yeah, no, Chrono Trigger is MUCH better.

I'll give you Suikoden (and Suikoden II for that matter) but Cross being better than Trigger? No no no no no.

I've played through CT over and over again to try to get all the different combinations. I could barely make it through one run of Cross, and could not see how it related to CT at ALL, COMPLETELY different games and worlds. Crono, Lucca and Marle scampering around as midget ghosts? Way to screw all the GOOD theories about Schala over too...

Decent music though.

Suikoden 2 is my favorite game ever, true story. Everyone should get themselves a PSX emulator and play it, as its ridiculously expensive.

So, should I emulate Chrono Trigger or buy it for DS? That same money could be used for a copy of remade 3D FF4 that I can't just get with an emulator.

I had to take my wife to the emergency room last night (she's okay), so I had lotsa time to finally sit down and play. Crono, Frog, and Lucca are barreling into Casa del Magus, and fuck me if Frog/Glenn's story isn't one of the best told in RPG canon. So much build toward Cyrus being Frog, and then you find out that Frog is actually Cyrus's cowardly buddy--and you get to spend the game aiding his redemption. That, folks, is a character arc. I'll take Frog over your spiky-haired Cloud Strives (I'm pretty sure that's how you pluralize it) any day of the week.

If I remember right, it's really friggin' obscure. You know the little house where the woman says that she is protecting the forest or what not on the same continent? It's between the two towns... walk right from there and there will be an area called the "Magic... something". It doesn't look like a mountain piece that you can USUALLY walk into, but just go there and it'll pop up. Frog FMV and then you'll go to Magnus'.

No, the sword says Melchior, and to Melchior it must go.

Go to Medina Village in 1000 A.D. Leave the monster's house and go west. Melchior's Hut is at the base of the mountain, and he'll tell you how to get the Masamune reforged.