NFL 2009

livid

Matt Stafford comes from a pro-style offense, he has an arm capable of making just about every throw, he CAN make nearly every throw, he's intelligent (that said, high wonderlic scorers don't always turn into Peyton Mannings), he doesn't have small hands or is a complete statue in the pocket.. give him some good protection, and he will develop into, at the very least, a starter, in my opinion.

And I wouldn't take Sanchez, either, but given just how strong his workouts have been, it wouldn't really surprise me if they did decide to go this route.

With regards to Laurinaitis - if you can get him with a later pick for less money, and draft somebody of a higher-caliber with the 20th overall pick, why get him there? It doesn't make any sense..

That's what Detroit can't offer him though. I don't think David Carr was quite as bad as he turned out to be, but the guy took 15 years worth of hits in his first few seasons with the Texans and his career was over before it began. When you're going to invest upwards of $30+ million in guaranteed cash to a guy who has never played a down you need to make sure he'll be around for long enough to develop, which is why I'm not sold on any of the QBs in this draft or the next one.

Edited by naiwf

You bring in Beatty with the 20th pick, plug him on the left, shift Backus inside to Guard, and you've got yourself a solid line. By no means great, but definitely solid.. and this is assuming they decide to start Stafford right out the gate. Remember, the only reason Flacco and Ryan started from Week One last year was because Boller got injured, and because Ryan straight out out-played everybody in front of him during the pre-season. The Lions can afford to start Culpepper and/or Stanton for a while, giving Stafford a year to get accustomed to the playbook and the system, and then bring him in for 2010. If this is the case, then they can definitely have an even better oline to protect him..

That's my thinking as well, keep Stafford on the bench for the first year if we draft him. Of course, the other line of thinking, which is where I was initially is that the Lions were so bad that they can't afford to draft players to sit on the bench.

Certainly getting drafting the O-Lineman with pick 20 is a logical move if you grab Stafford at 1, but then we neglect the defense with those first two picks. Granted they have a high second rounder, and two third rounders, they really need to add as much as they can to the defense. We may have won some games last year if our defense was even below average.

I'm fairly adamant about us getting an ILB this year simply because I am sick to death of seeing Paris Lenon sucking ass on every other down.

According to James Laurinaitis himself, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau was super impressed with his workout and the Steelers won't let him slip into the 2nd round if he's there when they pick at 1.32

So...for what it's worth. He might NOT be there for the Lions in round 2.

That's my thinking as well, keep Stafford on the bench for the first year if we draft him. Of course, the other line of thinking, which is where I was initially is that the Lions were so bad that they can't afford to draft players to sit on the bench.

Certainly getting drafting the O-Lineman with pick 20 is a logical move if you grab Stafford at 1, but then we neglect the defense with those first two picks. Granted they have a high second rounder, and two third rounders, they really need to add as much as they can to the defense. We may have won some games last year if our defense was even below average.

I'm fairly adamant about us getting an ILB this year simply because I am sick to death of seeing Paris Lenon sucking ass on every other down.

You can definitely get some solid defensive players outside of the first round, whereas quality offensive tackles will be pretty damn hard to come by.. especially if there's a run on them like there was last year. Drafting Stafford, then Beatty, then one of the DTs, then an ILB with one of the thirds (and a pass-catching TE with the other?) would be about as great of a draft as they could possibly have.

According to James Laurinaitis himself, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick Lebeau was super impressed with his workout and the Steelers won't let him slip into the 2nd round if he's there when they pick at 1.32

Come on, Chase, you seem to have been around long enough to know not to buy into what draftee's say about themselves. Of course they're going to say stuff like that, so other teams think they have to jump after him earlier than they want, if they want him. That's probably just the annual draft build-up bullshit. I'm not saying the Steelers aren't interested, but you can't take what any of these kids say regarding their draft position seriously.

Has a # 1 overall draft pick ever sat on the bench for a whole year? I honestly don't know the answer to this, but maybe one of you guys do.

Terry Bradshaw comes to mind.

JaMarcus? Granted, it was because of a hold out and he did make some appearances later in the year (which is fine), but..

EDIT - Didn't Eli sit behind Warner for his rookie season, or am I remembering it wrong?

Edited by Mysterio2000X

He played in 13 games and started 8 in 1970, the year he was drafted according to http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BradTe00.htm

Based on his stats, he SHOULD have taken a year to get accustomed to the league because he was terrible. 38.1% completions in 213 attempts, and a disguting 6 TD to 24 INT ratio.

Has a # 1 overall draft pick ever sat on the bench for a whole year? I honestly don't know the answer to this, but maybe one of you guys do.

JaMarcus? Granted, it was because of a hold out and he did make some appearances later in the year (which is fine), but..

EDIT - Didn't Eli sit behind Warner for his rookie season, or am I remembering it wrong?

Eli played in 9 games and started 7 his rookie year after Warner couldn't hold onto the ball anymore.

Eli played in 9 games and started 7 his rookie year after Warner couldn't hold onto the ball anymore.

If only he knew of the magic of gloves back then..

But yeah, I looked it up after posting and you're absolutely right.

Still, it's happened before, and when it doesn't it's usually because the team doesn't have anybody else capable of starting, or the kid is just mind-fucking-blowing amazing.

EDIT -

Report: Lions Attempting To Trade No. 1 Pick

Posted by Aaron Wilson on April 5, 2009, 11:28 a.m. EDT

The Detroit Lions have initiated trade scenarios with other NFL teams about trading the top overall selection they currently own, according to Mike Reiss of the Boston Globe.

However, there hasn’t been anyone inclined toward trading up at this point because of the high expense of signing a player at that slot.

Citing NFL scouts and personnel executives as sources, Reiss notes that at least one scouting director doesn’t think that Baylor offensive tackle Jason Smith is top-of-the-draft material, or even a “top-10 talent.”

Smith and University of Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford are among the players the Lions are considering drafting No. 1.

Meanwhile, Reiss reported that one NFL team that made note of New England coach Bill Belichick’s activity at the University of Connecticut Pro Day is now convinced that the Patriots will draft cornerback Darius Butler in the first round.

So, there's that. I doubt they get anybody to pony up and take them up on the offer though, especially with no clear-cut, can't-miss prospect (outside of Aaron Curry, maybe? I don't see any team actually moving up to pick up a linebacker though, no matter how good)

And a story so crazy it must be true -

Brady’s Wife’s Goon Squad Allegedly Fired Shots At Photographers

Posted by Mike Florio on April 5, 2009, 4:35 p.m. EDT

And just as we were starting to think that this was a fairly slow and quiet weekend in the NFL, allegations have arisen that are roughly as startling as anything we’ve heard lately.

According to the Boston Globe, shots rang out at the wedding celebration of Pats quarterback Tom Brady and model Gisele Bundchen.

We refuse to call Bundchen a “supermodel” until she demonstrates the ability to fly. In this specific case, we’ll also accept “faster than a speeding bullet.”

Especially since the new Mrs. Brady’s security detail allegedly was responsible for the shooting.

The incident occurred in Costa Rica. Two photographers hired by a photo agency known as INF “narrowly escaped death” when gunmen fired at their jeep as they drove away from the site of the wedding.

“I couldn’t believe it when I realized what they had done,” one of the photographers told INF. “I could have lost my life for the sake of some pictures that Gisele didn’t want published. Are they insane?”

Authorities reportedly are investigating.

In our view, not even the most powerful hallucinogenic compounds could have prompted the writers of the supposedly far-fetched Playmakers series to come up with such a twist — especially if the story arc includes Tom showing up late for the Super Bowl because he was making a conjugal visit to Gisele’s Costa Rican prison.

o_O

Edited by Mysterio2000X

Jeff Garcia in Silver and Black?

Yes.

NBC Bay Area has confirmed Garcia is negotiating a deal with the Oakland Raiders. The contract could be finalized as early as Sunday.

A source close to the negotiations tells NBC Bay Area Sports Director Raj Mathai a deal is "close. It will probably get done."

The 39 year-old quarterback will have the opportunity to compete for the starting position with JaMarcus Russell, though Garcia will likely serve as a backup.

This will be a homecoming for Garcia, who grew up in Gilroy and graduated from San Jose State University. Garcia was also a 3-time Pro Bowler with the 49ers earlier this decade. He spent the last two seasons with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Kind of a bummer for Garcia if this is the only offer he was getting. All told, though, it's actually a smart move for the Rai-duhs.

And if Russell can't get motivated with a guy like Garcia down his neck, time to take him out and shoot him.

I don't think Stafford would all season. I think you go with Culpepper and if by some miracle the Lions will be contending (which they won't) you stick with Pepper. If not give Stafford a couple throw away games at the end of the season to start.

I heard the Lions brought Ephraim Salaam in for a visit. Not a great player, but he's good and a proven starting tackle.

MLB is a must. I like Melouga's athleticism, but I love Laurinitis toughness. Reminds me a bit of Stephen Boyd who was pretty good. MLB is the heart of the D and Schwartz knows that. He had Keith Bullock in Tennessee and would love to find someone like that in Detroit.

Come on, Chase, you seem to have been around long enough to know not to buy into what draftee's say about themselves. Of course they're going to say stuff like that, so other teams think they have to jump after him earlier than they want, if they want him. That's probably just the annual draft build-up bullshit. I'm not saying the Steelers aren't interested, but you can't take what any of these kids say regarding their draft position seriously.

I'm not saying I believe it. Just pointing out that there's a slim chance he won't make it to round two.

Chances are even if he's telling the truth that the Steelers were just giving him lip service. I mean they can't say "Well gee, you sucked."

I totally agree with what you're saying though.

I'm not saying I believe it. Just pointing out that there's a slim chance he won't make it to round two.

Chances are even if he's telling the truth that the Steelers were just giving him lip service. I mean they can't say "Well gee, you sucked."

I totally agree with what you're saying though.

Just about every comment that comes out around this time is bullshit. If it's by players, then they're trying to get other teams to think they have to either move up or have to pick them as soon as possible (thus netting them more money). If it's by teams, then it's mostly a screen so other teams don't end up jumping in front of them to pick the player they wanted, or they themselves don't have to move up to acquire those players.