NFL 2009

livid

Honestly DMN, I think they are looking at it like this:

They probably were targeting the Pettigrew, who of course would be young, but inexperienced and have a learning curve. Whereas next year or when Gonzalez hangs it up they can draft an equal or better TE in the draft and instead use the first round pick to go elsewhere like defense. While it may be overpaying a smidge, the benefit to me outweighs the negative of having to draft a TE 1-3 years down the line because you save that first rounder for other needs and instantly upgrade your offense even more.

I agree that they overpaid for Gonzalez, but I also think it was a smart move because Atlanta could conceivably make a run to the Super Bowl with another weapon for Ryan. I don't think there was a better option they would have managed to get with that pick, and it's not a budget busting pickup either.

I've heard that the Lions & Stafford have agreed on money, they're just trying to iron out the structure of the deal. If everything goes well it will get announced tonight. If they somehow back out the fall back pick is Curry. If you're a Lions fan you should be hoping the deal blows up because taking Stafford and giving him $40 million or so guaranteed pretty much dooms you to relive the Joey Harrington era. Basically, look forward to the #1 pick again in 2013 or 2014 if they go with him instead of a guy who can be slotted in as a definitive starter in the offensive line or defensive front seven for the next 10 years.

If you're a Lions fan you should be hoping the deal blows up because taking Stafford and giving him $40 million or so guaranteed pretty much dooms you to relive the Joey Harrington era.

The more I get to know you, the more I start to see less of a jackass lmao

The vast majority of fans want Curry, or would be happy with one of the offensive lineman. The front office typically does exactly the opposite of what the fans want, and the pick usually ends up as a bust. Joey Harrington was not a popular pick, nor was Mike Williams, or most of our second rounders (Alama-Francis, Drew Stanton, Kalimba Edwards, Jordan Dizon). This team would honestly be better off with the arm chair quarterbacks of the world running the show. I think William Clay Ford is again pulling the strings, thinking that a QB will sell tickets, which might be true in the short term, but I think fans will continue to turn their back on the Lions if the defense isn't addressed.

I just don't understand how this team can continue to put out some of the worst defenses in league history, and continuously neglect drafting defense with it's 1st round picks. Since 2001, we have drafted one defensive player, that being Ernie Sims in 2006. 2001 was Jeff Backus, 2002 was Joey Harrington, 2003 was Charles Rogers, 2004 was Roy Williams and Kevin Jones, 2005 was Mike Williams, 2007 was Calvin Johnson, and 2008 was Gosder Cherilus. Is it any wonder we haven't done better than 7-9 in that span?

Edit - But I shouldn't get angry just yet. I'm just making the point that Curry or one of the LT's should be the unanimous pick from the front office if even a dipshit from Detroit can see that this team needs to build the defense and in the trenches. It's still possible we go with Curry, because despite some of the reports of Stafford and the Lions negotiating on the dollar amount for his contract, it's possible the Lions refuse to overpay Stafford and Condon (Stafford's agent) balks at the dollar amount. It's possible that Condon could be evaluating Stafford's market value beyond the Lions, seeing if there is a team that would pay more than the Lions would much like what happened with Matt Ryan last year.

Edited by VerbalPuke

I like how the Wizards just become the Bullets again.

I read this, forgot what thread I was in, and thought that years of wondering why the fuck Bullets is more politcally incorrect than Redskins had been put behind us. You have ruined my day.

To answer those years of wondering though, I somewhat recall there was a shooting near Washington (it may have even been the sniper thing, I don't remember), so the Bullets changed to the Wizards.

About the Gonzalez trade: remember it's not even this year's 2nd round pick; it's next year's so the value will be a bit lower than it would be for this year's draft and maybe Atlanta doesn't like a lot of the talent coming out next year or something, either. Yeah, I think overpaid for him a bit but like naiwf said, they're not too far off from being an elite NFC team and this allows them to address their defense in the draft.

The NFL really needs a rookie salary cap. It almost seems like the Lions are punished for having the first overall pick.

If I remember right, Goodell has been advocating something like that, and it makes some sense. I don't think someone unproven should have millions of dollars thrown at them because they were hot shit in college, since college and the pros aren't the same thing.

The rookie salary cap is coming. Everyone agrees it's needed, but getting it laid out and approved will take a little time.

On a related note, the commish is drawing up plans for expanding the regular season to 17 or 18 games. Good news Detroit! Someone can eventually break your record for futility.

Some kind of limit on the money rookies make is definitely a good idea, but I think the proposal's going to run into problems with the union. Also, it's only really the top half of the first round where the money's skewed. It's definitely wrong for so much money to be going to unproven players, not only is it a big risk for the teams, but money changes folk. These contracts are enough to set you up for life after like a year or so, there's going to be a degre of complacency creeping in like "why try harder, I've made my money!"

Some kind of limit on the money rookies make is definitely a good idea, but I think the proposal's going to run into problems with the union. Also, it's only really the top half of the first round where the money's skewed. It's definitely wrong for so much money to be going to unproven players, not only is it a big risk for the teams, but money changes folk. These contracts are enough to set you up for life after like a year or so, there's going to be a degre of complacency creeping in like "why try harder, I've made my money!"

Leaf, Ryan

The union will love a rookie cap. It means union members will make some of the money that the rookies aren't eating up anymore, and when the rookie deals expire the players who have proven their worth will get paid again. The only people who will be against a rookie cap are rookies and their agents.

I said I understand why they made the deal, but, if I was Atlanta, I'd go with a younger TE and allow that team to grow together. Its not an old team. That said, it is the NFL, and who knows what tomorrow brings.

Josh Freeman showed me NOTHING at KSU that made me think he should be a high pick QB. Its simply a bad year for QBs. Sanchez needed another year, Stafford wouldn't have been hurt by one either. The best QBs stayed in school, IMO, and even those guys aren't 'franchise' guys.

Just felt like putting my own mock out there for, well, mocking. <_<

#1- Detroit Lions

Matthew Stafford.

#2- St. Louis Rams

Jason Smith

#3- Kansas City Chiefs

Aaron Curry

#4- Seattle Seahawks

Mark Sanchez

#5- Cleveland Browns

BJ Raji.

#6- Cincinnati Bengals

Eugene Monroe.

#7- Oakland Raiders

Michael Crabtree

#8- Jacksonville Jaguars

Jeremy Maclin

#9- Green Bay Packers

Brian Orakpo

#10- San Francisco 49ers

Michael Oher

#11- Buffalo Bills

Aaron Maybin

#12- Denver Broncos

Tyson Jackson

#13- Washington Redskins

Andre Smith

#14- New Orleans Saints

Malcolm Jenkins.

#15- Houston Texans

Michael Johnson.

#16- San Diego Chargers

Robert Ayers.

#17- New York Jets

Kenny Britt

#18- Denver Broncos

Ray Maualuga

#19- Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Josh Freeman

#20- Detroit Lions

Everette Brown

#21- Philadelphia Eagles

Brandon Pettigrew

#22- Minnesota Vikings

Eben Britton

#23- New England Patriots

Percy Harvin

#24- Atlanta Falcons

Peria Jerry

#25- Miami Dolphins

Brian Cushing

#26- Baltimore Ravens

DJ Moore.

#27- Indianapolis Colts

Sen'Derrick Marks

#28- Buffalo Bills

Knoshon Moreno

#29- New York Giants

Darrius Heyward-Bey

#30- Tennessee Titans

Vontae Davis

#31- Arizona Cardinals

Donald Brown

#32- Pittsburgh Steelers

Max Unger

I was gonna enter any the reasoning behind everything and make it look pretty but work schedule's been kinda crazy, so whatever. I just like to document things and see how off I am every year.