NFL 2009

livid

lol Brian Pettigrew at 20.

Nothing wrong with Pettigrew at that spot. He's generally considered to be late 1st round talent, just.. the Lions didn't need him right then and there. Especially not with Oher still on the board.

And anybody notice how, despite not picking until near the end of each round, teams like the Giants, the Ravens, the Cardinals and the Patriots are all stick picking absolute quality players? Amazing. I can't believe Giants got Sintim. If he develops, that defense is really just going to be abso-fucking-lutely unfair (moreso than it is right now). >_>

edit - I forgot the Dolphins picked up Sean Smith in the 2nd round. Yeah, lets throw them into that list, too..

Which is why teams like the Giants, Raven, and Pats are always contenders where as teams like the Lions and Bengals are always bottom feeders.

Oh and the Lions didn't disappoint me, they managed to reach for some guy named Levy from Wisconsin, an undersized OLB projected as a 6th or 7th rounder. Just what we need! An undersized OLB to go with the rest of our undersized OLB's. Don't worry guys, we don't need a ILB. The WR pick didn't bother me as much because he's also going to return kicks, so I can understand why they made that choice.

The Levy pick really isn't as bad as you're making it out to be. And I didn't hear anything about him being projected that low. A bit of a reach in that they might've been able to get him a round later and he is a little undersized but not too much in that he wouldn't have the ability to bulk up in the future.

And as far as the 49ers are concerned, I'm really liking everything so far. We got our No. 1 WR in Crabtree now and a nice change of pace guy in Coffee, which is something we needed. We haven't had too many picks but the picks have made sense and I'm really liking getting that second 1st rounder for next year.

So the 49ers have done so well with Alex Smith, they decide to draft Nate "Only One Team at My Pro Day...And NOT the One That Drafted Me" Davis out of Ball State...who NFLDraftScout.com compares to...Alex Smith. o_O Small hands, funky motion, AND a documented learning disability. At least it's not #1 pick money this time.

Or a good one. (He could make a comeback.)

But that said, I like Davis. I think his problems can be overlooked, especially in a system where he's not going to have a bajillion page playbook to learn because they're going to be running a lot and his mechanics can be fixed with a couple of years of holding a clipboard and getting better through repetition. Not saying he'll be a Pro Bowl caliber QB but he can have success as long as he sticks with it and the team sticks with him.

I'm pretty happy with what the Lions did. They got the #1 QB, #1 TE, and #1 Safety. That's not bad. Besides, they're in a position where they're not going to contend next year. They have so many holes that it was best for them to draft the most talented players, rather than picking guys to fill holes (which they have a lot of).

I really, REALLY, wanted to be in Athens this weekend to see if I could find the 2nd round DB out of OU. I can just imagine:

Here he is, thinking he is a 6th-7th rounder, probably undrafted FA, so he will watch the draft with his family on day two --- Day one he decides to hang with friends, possibly on Court St., and he gets a call at the beginning of the second round of the NFL Draft. :lol: Had to be great for him, who knows, maybe he's actually really good.

New England, Pittsburgh, The Giants and Baltimore had their usual solid-to-great drafts.

And Cincinnati really surprised me with a decent draft for once.

Weird, weird weekend though. Almost a bizarro world draft with Detroit, Cincy, and Cleveland actually having drafts that might improve their teams.

I really, REALLY, wanted to be in Athens this weekend to see if I could find the 2nd round DB out of OU. I can just imagine:

Here he is, thinking he is a 6th-7th rounder, probably undrafted FA, so he will watch the draft with his family on day two --- Day one he decides to hang with friends, possibly on Court St., and he gets a call at the beginning of the second round of the NFL Draft. :lol: Had to be great for him, who knows, maybe he's actually really good.

I heard a rumor that Chicago was looking at taking him, so maybe he is a good player. I've watched some highlights of the guy and he hits really hard, but that's about all that I've been able to come up with so far...

So, the Eagles got Maclin and McCoy. Both very solid draft picks.

The Cornelius Ingram pick looks to me like the birds are set with Celek at TE. Good. LJ Smith sucked anyway. I like Celek, and it seems that most of Philly does (at the moment) too.

I also like the move they made, trading 2 fifth-rounders for Ellis Hobbs. I don't think that really has much to do with the Sheldon Brown situation, as much as it has to do with Quentin Demps probably playing full-time at safety this season due to the departure of Dawkins.

Overall, the Eagles had a very good off-season. They added another good receiver in Maclin, depth at RB in McCoy, and completely overhauled the O-Line. Oh, yeah, and they return 10 of 11 starters on a 3rd ranked defense that played absolutely lights out over the second half of the season last year.

I can't wait to see this offense with all the weapons we have...Jackson, Curtis, Avant and Baskett are all solid WRs, and Maclin should be really good, and, from what I've read, will fit right into the West Coast scheme. And a REAL complement to Westbrook, LeSean McCoy. I'm excited. This is the Eagles best offseason in a VERY long time.

I'm pretty happy with what the Lions did. They got the #1 QB, #1 TE, and #1 Safety. That's not bad. Besides, they're in a position where they're not going to contend next year. They have so many holes that it was best for them to draft the most talented players, rather than picking guys to fill holes (which they have a lot of).

Really? You draft the most talented players rather than draft to fill holes because you have a lot of holes? That's your logic?

...really?

I thought I'd share this with you all:

Over at GDS they were complaining about drafting Pettigrew which I talked about his blocking and giving Stafford more options to spread the field.

Don't the lions have Calvin Johnson? if so than he's gonna be stafford's favorite target and all you need is one guy to spread out your offense.

Really? You draft the most talented players rather than draft to fill holes because you have a lot of holes? That's your logic?

...really?

It's not a bad philosophy.

If you have a need at practically every position like Detroit does, why force yourself to choose a player to fill a hole and reach when you could simply let the board play out, stay true to your own board, and take the best player available regardless of position?

Some of the best teams in the NFL do that, and granted they do it when they don't have holes to fill, but really is reaching for a DT in the 2nd round when the best player available (and best value) is a linebacker going to hurt at all when you need talent?

Yeah, it's not like the Lions didn't have a need for TE anyways so I really don't get the uproar about. It gives Stafford another weapon and now all of a sudden, if they get an o-line together that's a young and potentially potent offensive attack under a pretty good Coordinator in Linehan. They need o-line help, sure but they really couldn't go wrong going BPA almost everywhere because they need help...everywhere.