NFL 2009

livid

He's going to drag it along for months before signing, have a decent start before faltering at the end of the season and then tearfully retire. Haven't we seen this already? Farve bores me.

Edited by Hellfire

This whole thing is making me hate Brett Farve. I can understand wanting to play if the body allows it, but take some time and consider everything before making these huge announcements. Handling it like this makes me think it's more about his ego than anyone makes it out to be.

This whole thing is making me hate Brett Farve. I can understand wanting to play if the body allows it, but take some time and consider everything before making these huge announcements. Handling it like this makes me think it's more about his ego than anyone makes it out to be.

Everyone thinks its about ego already, you're just catching up to the party now. Farve's whole image is fabricated, everything about the guy is pretty much a lie. He's an egomaniac that will keep doing this "will he, won't he" dance until he actually cannot play anymore. What little respect I had for him left when he held the Packers hostage, then it became contempt when he joined the Jets. Now? I just don't give a shit about it anymore. I know his game, and what he's about. He gets off on the publicity. So yea, he'll come back, have a shitty season and disappear for another six months.

Everyone thinks its about ego already, you're just catching up to the party now. Farve's whole image is fabricated, everything about the guy is pretty much a lie. He's an egomaniac that will keep doing this "will he, won't he" dance until he actually cannot play anymore. What little respect I had for him left when he held the Packers hostage, then it became contempt when he joined the Jets. Now? I just don't give a shit about it anymore. I know his game, and what he's about. He gets off on the publicity. So yea, he'll come back, have a shitty season and disappear for another six months.

I guess I'm naive for wishing he really was the "good ol' country boy" who just loves to play the game. I want that type of guy to exist in this day and age.

He is. A lot of people read too much into it and think he's an egomaniac but he's just a guy who loves the game. I'm not condoning the media circus but you can hardly blame him for all the shit that ESPN surrounds the stories with as they're the ones with the hard-ons for him. I'm by no means saying that he's a saint but people need to wake the fuck up and realize, if anything, that Favre is just somebody who's not ready to let go of something they love. You try being 39 years old and have to contemplate giving up something you've done for 20+ years that you thoroughly enjoy. I know if I was in his shoes I'd have the same thoughts going through my head. People need to stop taking what he says and what he does so personally and to heart and realize that the guy loves the game, otherwise he has NO reason to come back. He doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the publicity either

I'm sick and tired of the media blowing their load over the story as much as anybody but I'm also tired of people thinking that Favre is in the company of TO because he can't decide on whether he wants to give up the game or not. Plenty of retired players have said that deciding was one of the hardest things they'd ever done. So Favre changes his mind a couple of times, so what? He was given an ultimatum by the Packers last year to make a decision and he wasn't sure and then he started to the get the itch after he realized he was going to do any fucking thing in Mississippi and this year he made the decision after he'd gotten hurt for real for the first time in his career. I'm also tired of the hypocrisy as both Jerome Bettis and Michael Strahan both seriously considered retirement and didn't give a solid answer until later into the offseason before their last seasons but because when Favre was asked the questions during the season and answered honestly that he wasn't sure, he's painted as a bad guy who's wallowing when most players after the age of 35 have the same thoughts going through their heads, it's just not as public and that's hardly Favre's fault because ESPN is just grasping at stories for the NFL at this time of year.

Tl;dr version: people need to quit acting like Favre is killing puppies and lighten the fuck up.

• Like 1

He is. A lot of people read too much into it and think he's an egomaniac but he's just a guy who loves the game. I'm not condoning the media circus but you can hardly blame him for all the shit that ESPN surrounds the stories with as they're the ones with the hard-ons for him. I'm by no means saying that he's a saint but people need to wake the fuck up and realize, if anything, that Favre is just somebody who's not ready to let go of something they love. You try being 39 years old and have to contemplate giving up something you've done for 20+ years that you thoroughly enjoy. I know if I was in his shoes I'd have the same thoughts going through my head. People need to stop taking what he says and what he does so personally and to heart and realize that the guy loves the game, otherwise he has NO reason to come back. He doesn't need the money and he doesn't need the publicity either

I'm sick and tired of the media blowing their load over the story as much as anybody but I'm also tired of people thinking that Favre is in the company of TO because he can't decide on whether he wants to give up the game or not. Plenty of retired players have said that deciding was one of the hardest things they'd ever done. So Favre changes his mind a couple of times, so what? He was given an ultimatum by the Packers last year to make a decision and he wasn't sure and then he started to the get the itch after he realized he was going to do any fucking thing in Mississippi and this year he made the decision after he'd gotten hurt for real for the first time in his career. I'm also tired of the hypocrisy as both Jerome Bettis and Michael Strahan both seriously considered retirement and didn't give a solid answer until later into the offseason before their last seasons but because when Favre was asked the questions during the season and answered honestly that he wasn't sure, he's painted as a bad guy who's wallowing when most players after the age of 35 have the same thoughts going through their heads, it's just not as public and that's hardly Favre's fault because ESPN is just grasping at stories for the NFL at this time of year.

Tl;dr version: people need to quit acting like Favre is killing puppies and lighten the fuck up.

Favre needs to stop retiring and then changing his mind.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why fans care so much that they have to get up in arms about it. Like I said, if anything else was going on in the NFL around this time then I doubt that it would be as big of a story as it is but because there's literally nothing else happening right now, it's blown out of proportion.

And I explained that the retiring thing is a bit much to get him on about as like I said, the Packers wanted their decision a month after the season ended, of course he was going to feel burnt out AND Favre even said that something may happen when he went on Letterman to promote the Madden cover last year. It was obvious he wasn't ready but he was pressured into it. And again, this year was the first time he's ever truly been hurt in a serious manner which is why if it needs surgery he won't come back. If it doesn't, then the chances of him coming back go up.

And what does him retiring have to do with him loving or not loving the game? That was my main point, in reference to Hellfire's post. Because him unretiring should prove that he likes the game more than not because like I said, it's not like he has anything to really gain from any of this. More to lose, really because of fan behavior.

I understand that. What I don't understand is why fans care so much that they have to get up in arms about it. Like I said, if anything else was going on in the NFL around this time then I doubt that it would be as big of a story as it is but because there's literally nothing else happening right now, it's blown out of proportion.

And I explained that the retiring thing is a bit much to get him on about as like I said, the Packers wanted their decision a month after the season ended, of course he was going to feel burnt out AND Favre even said that something may happen when he went on Letterman to promote the Madden cover last year. It was obvious he wasn't ready but he was pressured into it. And again, this year was the first time he's ever truly been hurt in a serious manner which is why if it needs surgery he won't come back. If it doesn't, then the chances of him coming back go up.

And what does him retiring have to do with him loving or not loving the game? That was my main point, in reference to Hellfire's post. Because him unretiring should prove that he likes the game more than not because like I said, it's not like he has anything to really gain from any of this. More to lose, really because of fan behavior.

Fans don't mind if a guy wants to keep playing. They don't like seeing repeated coverage of Favre's latest retirement or un-retirement. It gets a little stale reading about John Madden's mancrush every offseason and the agonizing decision whether to continue playing or not. He just needs to stop being such an attention whore and make up his mind about what he wants to do. I do however have great love for the man because without his backbreaking OT pick, my Giants wouldn't have won their latest Super Bowl :w00t:

Like I said, I'm tired of the media coverage of it as well but that has more to do with the fact that there's nothing else going on in the NFL right now so any story that can be considered fairly big news is going to be blown out of proportion just so they have something to talk about. I mean, they already analyzed the NFL draft before the players even start playing in the NFL, they already overdid the NFL schedule release and they already talked about the new rules taking effect. It's the NFL downtime seriously now and since it's the most popular league in the US, it's almost like it's essential that they have some story to run about it no matter how little it is or how many times you've already been beaten over the head with it.

Edited by Livid

Like I said, I'm tired of the media coverage of it as well but that has more to do with the fact that there's nothing else going on in the NFL right now so any story that can be considered fairly big news is going to be blown out of proportion just so they have something to talk about. I mean, they already analyzed the NFL draft before the players even start playing in the NFL, they already overdid the NFL schedule release and they already talked about the new rules taking effect. It's the NFL downtime seriously now and since it's the most popular league in the US, it's almost like it's essential that they have some story to run about it no matter how little it is or how many times you've already been beaten over the head with it.

The thing is, the NFL is ready to roll the red carpet out for this guy's retirement, and they've basically done it twice now. I just wish he would do some more soul searching before he makes these announcements and decisions, because instead of seeming like a guy who loves the game, he seems like a guy who likes playing the media.

And there is sure to be much rejoicing across the NFL fanbase:

Kornheiser out, Gruden in: Monday Nights are now less painful

By MJD

A powerful phobia is forcing a man to quit a job that he loves, and while I don't want to be the kind of person that celebrates another guy's misery, I will celebrate the fact that the miserable guy can no longer make me miserable.

Tony Kornheiser is leaving Monday Night Football, citing his fear of air travel, and the great amount of it that the 2009 season would require. His replacement will be Super Bowl-winning (and recently fired) head coach Jon Gruden.

I apologize if I'm not able to contain my excitement. I have loathed the Tony Kornheiser era at Monday Night Football, so much so that I purchased a Sirius satellite radio hook-up so I could listen to the Westwood One broadcast instead of ESPN's. It wasn't cheap, but it was worth it.

When Kornheiser started three years ago, his presence made the entire broadcast awkward, because no one -- Kornheiser included -- knew exactly where he fit in. His jokes usually missed and his timing often interfered with important things that were happening on the field or relevant points that other commentators were trying to make. Every now and then, he'd land a solid joke, but they were few and far between, and not worth the hours of awkwardness between them.

That's how it was when Kornheiser started. Everyone kind of assumed that the people in the booth would get used to each other, and eventually, Kornheiser would find a groove that would let him show off his quick wit and sense of humor, while seamlessly blending into the broadcast. It never happened. In fact, he never made much progress at all from the first few awkward broadcasts.

But after three long seasons, it's over now. There'll be no more stepping on the toes of the guys who actually do want to talk about football. There'll be no more quips about fantasy football teams that aren't really fantasy football teams. Brett Favre(notes) will no longer be mentioned 298 times in a broadcast, whether he's playing or not. There'll be no, "Hey, look at me, I'm bald, and isn't that hilarious?!" jokes.

It's all come to a merciful end. Tony Kornheiser is quitting, and here's the press release (via The Big Lead):

Former Super Bowl-winning head coach Jon Gruden is joining ESPN’s Monday Night Football. The dynamic, outspoken and often fiery Gruden will join commentators Mike Tirico and Ron Jaworski in the booth when sports television’s signature series kicks off its 40th season this fall. Gruden will also contribute analysis throughout the year on ESPN Radio and other platforms, in addition to being a part of ESPN’s 2010 Pro Bowl telecast and Super Bowl and NFL Draft coverage.

Gruden replaces Tony Kornheiser, who has decided to step down after three years in the Monday Night Football booth.

[...]

Kornheiser added: “I am totally grateful for the MNF opportunity that I truly enjoyed the last three seasons. I feel we got better each year. My fear of planes is legendary and sadly true. When I looked at the upcoming schedule it was the perfect storm that would’ve frequently moved me from the bus to the air. I kept looking at the schedule the past month and wanted to find a way to quietly extricate myself. If I could handpick a replacement of a football guy, I would cast a net and drag in Jon Gruden. He is the two things you most want — smart and funny — and has the two things I don’t — good hair and a tan. I love PTI and am looking forward to continuing to yammer and yodel with Wilbon until the end of time.”

So he goes out as he came in, with jokes about his hair and complexion. Something feels right about that.

Before piling on too much, though, I do want to note that I'm glad that Kornheiser will be staying with "Pardon The Interrupton", because that is a great show, and he's fantastic in that format. I'd go so far as to say that he's as good on that show as he is brutal in the booth during a live football game. That's a very big compliment. Probably way bigger than Tony Kornheiser would like it to be.

Gruden should be an outstanding replacement, too (though, to be honest, I'd have settled for any homeless guy ESPN wanted to pull off the street, or just an empty chair). Gruden's got a lot of energy, is comfortable with the camera, has a good sense of humor, and will hopefully be willing to share some of his insight about the game.

Sixteen Mondays out of the year -- make that 17, including this one -- just got brighter. Thank you, air travel, for being so frightening to some people.

The blogger's correct, Tony's excellent on PTI, but honestly, he's not the only reason MNF is pretty missable. I've never liked Tirico, and Jaworski often seems to see things ONLY through a QB's eyes. Understandable, but still. Gruden should be quite good in a role like this...for the year that he's out of coaching. :shifty:

I couldn't be happier that Kornholer is out of the MNF booth. I thought he was simply terrible. He seemed to be like Dennis Miller..making obscure jokes and references that no one knew, weren't relivent and only he understood.

Also, Comcast and the NFL Network reached a deal. NFLN is being moved off the sports package to the Digital Classic package

The blogger's correct, Tony's excellent on PTI, but honestly, he's not the only reason MNF is pretty missable. I've never liked Tirico, and Jaworski often seems to see things ONLY through a QB's eyes. Understandable, but still. Gruden should be quite good in a role like this...for the year that he's out of coaching. :shifty:

Jaws annoys me to no end. You can make a drinking game out of how many times he says "The National Football League!!" and be wasted by halftime.

I'm soooooo damn glad Kornheiser is gone. I actually thought he was worse than Dennis Miller!

You want football hell? Imagine a team of those two + Joe Theisman! (I swear Theisman either loves the sound of his own voice or was paid by the word)

As for Favre, I like Bret Favre, but seriously, he's shitting on his own legacy. I'd like to see pro sports - not just football - institute "The Favre Rule": the second time you retire, your ass is RETIRED. (I think everyone should be allowed to change their mind once)