NFL 2009

livid

So there might be a problem with Cowboys Stadium. Tennessee's rookie punter managed to hit the scoreboard in-game. We probably should have used more than just our punter to see how high the ball could go. Jerry Jones' argument is that a punter needs to kick the ball straight up and really hard to hit it and he doesn't see why punters would do that in a game. It will be interesting to see if they have to raise it up.

It will be interesting to see tham raise it alright. I'm still in awe when I see that stadium, it's not the biggest in the world, but there's a certain sense of epicness when you look at it, I dunno, it's just the way it's designed or something. I suppose the massive screen helps too.

So there might be a problem with Cowboys Stadium. Tennessee's rookie punter managed to hit the scoreboard in-game. We probably should have used more than just our punter to see how high the ball could go. Jerry Jones' argument is that a punter needs to kick the ball straight up and really hard to hit it and he doesn't see why punters would do that in a game. It will be interesting to see if they have to raise it up.

The rookie hit it 3 times in practice, people watching said it was pretty obvious he was out there trying to hit it. Hentrich was out trying to do the same thing and only hit it once. The only time I could see it being a problem is if you're punting within your opponent's 40 and trying to pin them within the 5 yard line.

Whatever, other teams are just jealous. :P

The rookie hit it 3 times in practice, people watching said it was pretty obvious he was out there trying to hit it. Hentrich was out trying to do the same thing and only hit it once. The only time I could see it being a problem is if you're punting within your opponent's 40 and trying to pin them within the 5 yard line.

Whatever, other teams are just jealous. :P

Jumbotron envy can be quite painful. :shifty:

Which Cowboys punter tried to hit the HD screen? It better have been a backup.

I find it hard to believe if it was McBiar.

They used McBriar to see how high he could hit punts when they were deciding how low the screen should be hung. So obviously they would have tested how high he could kick and then raised it above that. As far as I'm aware it was just the Titans punters who were trying to hit it yesterday.

Buffalo Bills first-round draft pick Aaron Maybin has signed a five-year deal after missing all of the team's training camp.

ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter first reported the two sides had reached an agreement. The deal is worth as much as $25 million, ESPN.com's John Clayton reported. Guaranteed money and other contract terms were not immediately available.

"Ecstatic, overjoyed, whatever you want to call it, that's me," said Maybin, who flew from Baltimore to Buffalo to sign the deal. "I've been smiling from ear to ear for the entire day, man, ever since I got off the plane."

"Aaron's happy to be here and ready to go to work," Chafie Fields, Maybin's agent, said.

Maybin is expected to begin practicing on Monday, the team's first session after it returns following Saturday's preseason game at Green Bay. Buffalo has two preseason games left, at Pittsburgh on Aug. 29 and at home against Detroit on Sept. 3.

"There's a lot of catching up that I have to do. But we still have three weeks to go," Maybin said. "I'm really excited about getting back out there, getting back on the field. And I think I'll be fine."

The Bills are counting on Maybin, whom they drafted at No. 11 from Penn State, to shore up a defense that produced only 24 sacks last season -- tied for the fifth-fewest in the NFL.

After sitting out his first year at Penn State as a redshirt freshman, Maybin entered the draft after two college seasons and without a full season as a starter.

Though he played 13 games last season, Maybin didn't take over as a full-time starter until the fourth week. But he led the Big Ten with 12 sacks and was voted a first-team All-American.

Maybin unveiled a new haircut in honor of the deal.

Cut into the right side of his hair were two numbers: 58, the one he'll wear this season; and 78, in a tribute to former Bills defensive end Bruce Smith, who was inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame earlier this month. Cut into the left side of his hair was the Bills' logo of a running buffalo.

Maybin laughed when asked whether the logo meant he won't require a helmet.

"Hey man," Maybin said. "I'm a tough guy, but not that tough."

The agreement leaves two unsigned first-round picks: offensive tackle Andre Smith, who was taken at No. 6 by the Cincinnati Bengals, and wide receiver Michael Crabtree, the No. 10 pick of the San Francisco 49ers.

Source - http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4413437

He'll be considered a bust at least for the first few years due to him being so young, raw and having been held out of most of training camp because of his contract situation. DE's usually have a year-long learning curve, anyways, but his may be more profound than that. There really is no reason Jauron, whose job is undoubtedly on the line this year, didn't go with Orakpo, the more polished DE, over him. I think Maybin'll make some noise in the NFL eventually, he's too physically gifted to NOT be at least decent, but it'll take a while for the Bills to get a return on their investment. Certainly, Dick won't be around to see him produce consistently.

EDIT - And damn, the Cards' D is looking pretty good. Calais Campbell has been tearing it up the past two weeks; hopefully he'll be able to remain productive once his workload increases.

Our first string D notched 4 sacks against the Chargers in under a quarter, held LT (who is not the burnout everybody keeps thinking he is) to something ridiculous like 4 yards, has given up 0 TDs so far and only really gave up a single "big" play to one of the AFC's most offensively talented teams. Pretty awesome.

Our offense, on the other hand, is off-rhythm. There's no way Warner is fully healthy from his hip surgery yet, and it definitely shows. Hopefully, our line can keep him safe long enough for our offense to get back on track. If we can get something similar to last year going, especially with our defense playing as good as they have, I don't see how we don't buck the trend and make some post-season noise again. One of the few bright spots on our O has been Hightower, who's looking quicker, faster and meaner in his runs now, and has stopped dancing as much in the backfield. Still, even that's bittersweet as he's no doubt getting the majority of the carries due to Wells' injury. Blah.

Edited by Mysterio2000X

I'd almost feel sorry for the Chiefs if I didn't have this weird compulsion to laugh at them.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=tsn-chiefskingdomcollaps&prov=tsn&type=lgns

When Matt Cassel hobbled to the trainer's room Saturday, the air was sucked out of Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs' most heralded offseason acquisition was injured, and the pattern of 2008 seemed to be repeating itself.

Chiefs officials weren't spilling much about what ails their starting quarterback, only that he had injured a leg and wouldn't return to their exhibition against the Seahawks.

Writing for the Kansas City Star, Kent Babb put it this way:

"Cassel's injury was something Kansas City couldn't afford. He was more valuable than the $28 million guaranteed contract he signed two months ago—he was the future. Cassel was supposed to be the quarterback the Chiefs had waited decades for. And even if he couldn't become Len Dawson, then he at least wouldn't be Brodie Croyle or Damon Huard."

Word could come Sunday that would render this handwringing moot, but the mood in KC went from bad to worse when Cassel went down.

For the record, Cassel was tackled from behind by Seahawks defensive tackle Brandon Mebane. He clutched his left leg while down. After struggling to get back to the huddle, Cassel called time out and limped off the field.

Tyler Thigpen replaced Cassel and could wind up as the Chiefs' Week 1 starter if Cassel's injury KO's him.

The bad news didn't end with Cassel. Wideout Devard Darling and cornerback Brandon Flowers also were injured.

Cassel has looked horrible this preseason anyways, it was a terrible decision to give him such a big contract before they even saw how he'd perform in their offense. A lot of marginal QBs would have looked good playing in the Pats offense.

Cassel has looked horrible this preseason anyways, it was a terrible decision to give him such a big contract before they even saw how he'd perform in their offense. A lot of marginal QBs would have looked good playing in the Pats offense.

This is true, any mildly talented QB would look great in what was essentially a spread-shotgun system with the likes of Randy Moss and Wes Welker to throw balls to. The funniest thing about it all is that the Chiefs already had their very own weak armed, system quarterback in Tyler Thigpen, and at a FAR cheaper value. As a Cardinals fan, I'm very big on Haley and I do hope he somehow has some success in Kansas City, but Pioli's proving to be nothing short of a retard thus far and I just don't see him doing anything special. I really hope I'm wrong, though, as I think Haley is smart, tough and ballsy enough to do some great things eventually.

And about Vick - bleh. Just a big distraction for a team that needs to find continuity and rhythm on offense, and leadership on defense.. Honestly, I know they're a lot of people's Super Bowl favorites, but I'll be genuinely surprised if they can even make it as a wild card. If Nicks develops anywhere near as close as he's projected to, then that division will continue to be New York's to lose (not that it isn't anyways), and if (big if, I know) Washington can get something going on offense, they'll be pretty hard to knock off, as well. That defense of theirs, while already good last year, has some serious potential.

Thigpen is the best qb in KC. of course they seem intent on trading him and possibly going to Croyle. didn't they try Croyle last year and it was a huge fail? I do hope Thigpen gets a trade as he played pretty good on a terrible team last year. Derrick Anderson deserves a start somewhere else to, I'd love to see either in Carolina in wait for Delhomme's next 4 INT game.

Thigpen is the best qb in KC. of course they seem intent on trading him and possibly going to Croyle. didn't they try Croyle last year and it was a huge fail? I do hope Thigpen gets a trade as he played pretty good on a terrible team last year. Derrick Anderson deserves a start somewhere else to, I'd love to see either in Carolina in wait for Delhomme's next 4 INT game.

I've been thinking for a while about were a good place for Anderson to be, because we know that Quinn will win the starting job in Cleveland, and you just answered it. Carolina would be very good for him as he could sit on the bench to learn the offense, then if he impresses enough, he could become the starter after Delhomme moves on.