NFL 2009

livid

And the Lions have named Stafford the starter. Stupid move. For their sake, I hope Stafford's a little bit tougher than Harrington, since he's going to get murdered this year.

I wouldn't go as far as calling it a stupid move. I think they should have waited a little bit, or at least seen how Culpepper was doing. But, they have made some improvements to the team as a whole, and I don't think Stafford is going to just get hit and suddenly not realise what his potential would be. I typically like to have a QB sit and learn for a year if possible, but in this situation I'm fine with letting Stafford start, especially after seeing how things went in the pre-season for everyone.

Yeah, the team has definitely improved in all areas with one major, obvious exception - the o-line. Stafford has all the potential in the world to be great, and I sure hope he reaches that potential, but by being placed behind that sieve of a line, they run the risk of getting another Harrington (or Carr) on their hands. Stafford's ceiling's a bit higher than Harrington's, in my opinion, but the risk is still there. Detroit isn't going to make much noise this year with or without Stafford, so what's the point? (outside of live reps, of course)

I still think they were stupid for not selecting Oher with their second 1st round pick, but that's neither here nor there now. I think Schwartz may have been planning on starting off with Culpepper, but the dude's injury tipped the scales in Matt's favor.

Mendenhall is not on his way to becoming a bust, it's far too early in his career for that kind of talk. Especially when the guy missed the majority of his rookie season with a major injury. Tomlin's doing the smart thing by taking full advantage of the situation they have. The Steelers have a veteran runner who has been a very good player for them through the years, a talented young back and a nice wildcard in Mewelde Moore. Why throw Mendenhall in at the deep end when he's just returning from a big injury and you have those two other options at the position? Regardless of where he was drafted and what their plan for him is long term, right now is about getting him some touches in the regular season (you know, in games that actually matter) and helping him develop into the runner they want him to be while helping the team this season by taking full advantage of the players at their disposal.

Yeah, it seems like Mysterio is assuming that Mendenhall isn't going to get any carries at all during the season just because he's not the starter. Just because Tomlin says that Willie Parker is there runner doesn't mean at all that Mendenhall isn't going to get his fair share, either. It just means that Parker is their starter and the guy that will get the most carries and that they aren't going to split the carries, which is a good idea. That doesn't mean, however, that Mendenhall isn't going to get carries

If you think that because he's not named the starter or Tomlin didn't say specifically that they're going to split carries, as meaning that he's going to be a bust, then your logic is retarded.

More importantly, when did this suddenly become a comparison of Willie Parker and WALTER PAYTON?

I was saying that Payton couldn't run behind the Steelers line. Inferring that Payton is indeed much much better than Willie Parker.

My apologies, I was under the impression that that (as well as a lack of production) is exactly what happens as players begin to break down. Sorry.

Yawn. He broke his leg when it got caught in the turf, it was a freak injury...it wasn't his "body breaking down."

Yes, the line is terrible, and it's a foregone conclusion that he would have a better chance behind a better line, but where is this greatness you're speaking of? To me, he simply seems timid or complacent. Or both. Bring up the "it's just pre-season" argument again if you want, but you just do not see that in 1st round running backs hoping to show off enough to justify an organization's belief in them to eventually turn into their future franchise running back, or at least vulture carries off of the man in front of him this season. Again, blame the o-line if you want to, but that just doesn't explain the fact that he looks like he lacks elusiveness, he lacks explosion, and he just looks very.. average. I'm not calling him a bust yet (and I never have), it'd be stupid to do so this soon, but if he does not turn it around, then he is well on his way to becoming one.

If you think he lacks elusiveness or explosion you clearly haven't watched him. He's shown that he's explosive and decisive, when he's had room to run.

Tomlin isn't from the Belichick/Parcells tree-of-secrecy, he's christening Parker (coming off back-to-back injury riddled seasons, and who is already being hampered by a hamstring this pre-season) as the guy in Pittsburgh, with Mendenhall left to, as PFT put it, "pick up his scraps". Again, that is not a good sign for a running back taken in the first round with the intention of having him become the organization's franchise back.

I didn't realize a coach had to have been mentored by Bill Parcells or Bill Belichick to be secretive. Besides, this is the same Mike Tomlin who refused to name the players he cut to avoid giving other teams a leg up on him.

If you think Tomlin saying what he said is 100% proof that Mendenhall won't be given a chance then you are an idiot, plain and simple. Or maybe you just need to stop letting Mike Florio tell you how to think.

If you think that because he's not named the starter or Tomlin didn't say specifically that they're going to split carries, as meaning that he's going to be a bust, then your logic is retarded.

Exactly.

I don't think Mysterio understands how the Steelers offense has worked for the last like, 9 to 10 seasons. You have two running backs. The fast guy (Amos Zearoue, Willie Parker, Ect.) and the plowing guy (Jerome Bettis, Fatuma-Mulahfatuamwhatever, Ect.). Parker will get the majority of the carries, but if Mendenhall can play as good as he should he'll make a solid up the middle guy to compliment Parker's break away speed. Either way it's a moot point however, because the line is really poor which makes running at all hard. I know Ben holds the ball a lot, but why do you think he's always running around so much? He's not a scrambler, it's basically our of necessity.

So yeah, we will get a real idea of what Mendenhall can do this season because he will get carries. Also, I don't fully understand the Bengals hype. I mean Palmer is a really great QB, but he's lost a true possesion receiver (Which makes guys like Johnson, Henry & Coles way more effective) they still don't have a reall runningback (His numbers were inflated by the fact Ryan Fucking Fitzpatrick couldn't be trusted to throw) and their defense may be better but it isn't at the level to carry the team. It's not impossible to see a turnaround, but I don't really see the offense working as good without TJ around. A guy like that opens things up for the playmakers. Not to mention Palmer's knee could explode again at any moment.

As for best trio, I'd have to pick Baltimore. Rice, McGahee (If he doesn't die) and McClain (Who wills till be goaline carries since he's just fucking huge) are the best trio on a single team. I'd still rather have a duo like Carolina's though, which I think is the best running game in the NFL period.

Ah, how I've missed the idiocy and homerism of the NFL thread. I actually like the Seymour trade, provided he gets resigned. The Oakland run d is atrocious, and the pick isnt for next year, but the one after, when they have a legit chance to be in the playoffs. Oh, and the clearly have the best stable of backs in the league. I would love to take that fantasy spot if its still open, Maxx.

Ah, how I've missed the idiocy and homerism of the NFL thread. I actually like the Seymour trade, provided he gets resigned. The Oakland run d is atrocious, and the pick isnt for next year, but the one after, when they have a legit chance to be in the playoffs. Oh, and the clearly have the best stable of backs in the league. I would love to take that fantasy spot if its still open, Maxx.

Wow a quad post! I thought you were joining the Marines, will you be able to set your team and be competitve throughout for fantasy season? If so, I'll give you the spot, considering you were in originally.

I thought this was a good place as any for my rant.

I enjoy both the CFL and NFL. I always hear from a lot of Canadians like the CFL better cause it is more exciting. A lot of that has to the kick returns. When I watch an NFL game it seems a lot of the time the return team signals for a fair catch. After watching both labour day games today I have thought of one rule that the NFL can add and that is the no yards penalty. Basicly, there is not fair catch in the CFL, the kicking team has to give the receiver 5 yards to catch the ball before they can tackle him. If they don't give him 5 yards, its a 15 yard penalty. It makes the game more interesting and a lot of the time results in more offence. Usually the return is decent.

I thought this was a good place as any for my rant.

I enjoy both the CFL and NFL. I always hear from a lot of Canadians like the CFL better cause it is more exciting. A lot of that has to the kick returns. When I watch an NFL game it seems a lot of the time the return team signals for a fair catch. After watching both labour day games today I have thought of one rule that the NFL can add and that is the no yards penalty. Basicly, there is not fair catch in the CFL, the kicking team has to give the receiver 5 yards to catch the ball before they can tackle him. If they don't give him 5 yards, its a 15 yard penalty. It makes the game more interesting and a lot of the time results in more offence. Usually the return is decent.

That's because players in the NFL are usually much faster than the CFL players. So they get to the punt returner quicker. I see no problem to the fair-catch, because even if you make a 5-yard rule, someone is going to end up not doing it and possibly cripple a guy.