NFL 2009

livid

I think the best solution is to have division games close out the season. The last 3 weeks could all be divisional matchups. It would add a lot of luster to games between really bad teams (Chiefs & Raiders for example) just based on the level of the rivalry. Furthermore, it would leave so much open going into the end of the season in regards to the division races. Whereas in Week 12 it was pretty obvious barring a monumental collapse that Cincy was going to win the AFC North, unless a team has a 4-game advantage there is so much open in the divisional race itself.

The division games ending the season could also give teams incentives not to be tanking for draft picks (not sure why anyone would anymore, with the ridiculous contracts, but still). When your last three games are against your division opponents, even if you're 1-12 coming in, you're just dying to screw the division rivals out of a playoff seed or any spot at all.

My friend brought to my attention that the Rams have been so putrid this year and have gone completely ignored. They scored almost 100 points less than the 2008 Lions (still not as bad as the 76 Bucs). The Rams had no receiver over 600 yards, didn't even pass 3,000 in total receiving yards, and their average QB Rating was 64. They barely averaged a TD a game. Their point differential of -261 is only rivaled by the Lions at -232, and that said the Rams defense despite being by far the best part of the team still finished 29th in total defense. They're gonna have to redo those 10 Worst Teams lists again and throw this year's Rams in there somewhere.

Time to break the seal on my envelope and reveal my pre-season predictions. I know I wasn't close on some of these... :lmao: Playoff teams in bold.

AFC West

Chargers 12-4

Chiefs 6-10

Broncos 4-12

Raiders 3-13

AFC South

Colts 11-5

Titans 9-7

Jaguars 7-9

Texans 2-14

AFC North

Steelers 13-3

Ravens 11-5

Bengals 10-6

Browns 3-13

AFC East

Patriots 13-3

Dolphins 8-8

Jets 6-10

Bills 5-11

NFC West

Seahawks 10-6

Cardinals 9-7

49ers 5-11

Rams 2-14

NFC South

Falcons 11-5

Panthers 10-6

Saints 9-7

Buccaneers 6-10

NFC North

Bears 12-4

Vikings 9-7

Packers 9-7

Lions 3-13

NFC East

Giants 11-5

Cowboys 10-6

Eagles 8-8

Redskins 8-8

These picks were done by me with a full schedule and going through the whole season in one sitting. An interesting note...

I had the Tennessee Titans going 1-6 early, only to come back and be 9-7.

And the fake playoffs?

First Round

Carolina @ Seattle

Dallas @ Atlanta

Baltimore @ Indianapolis

Cincinnati @ San Diego

Second Round

Seattle @ Chicago

Atlanta @ New York

Baltimore @ New England

San Diego @ Pittsburgh

Conference Championship

Atlanta @ Chicago

Pittsburgh @ New England

Super Bowl

Atlanta vs New England

I got some things right, some wrong. I think I did better than in previous years. One of my picks for the Super Bowl is still in it, which hardly ever happens.

As for my picks for the actual playoffs?

First Round

Philadelphia @ Dallas

Green Bay @ Arizona

Baltimore @ New England

New York @ Cincinnati

Second Round

Arizona @ Minnesota

Philadelphia @ New Orleans

Cincinnati @ Indianapolis

New England @ San Diego

Conference Championship

Philadelphia @ Minnesota

San Diego @ Indianapolis

Super Bowl

Minnesota vs Indianapolis

A bit chalk, but still my picks...

By the way, the bold tags are fucked, so you should be able to tell who wins the conference by looking at the Super Bowl. :shifty:

Edited by Numbahs

First Round

Philadelphia @ Dallas

Green Bay @ Arizona

Baltimore @ New England

New York @ Cincinnati

Second Round

Arizona @ Minnesota

Philadelphia @ New Orleans

Jets @ Indianapolis

Baltimore @ San Diego

Conference Championship

Philadelphia @ Minnesota

San Diego @ Indianapolis

Super Bowl

Minnesota vs San Diego

Arizona over Green Bay

Philadelphia beats Dallas

New England beats Baltimore

New York beats Cincinnati

Philadelphia over New Orleans

Minnesota over Arizona

Indianapolis beats New York

New England over San Diego

Minnesota beats Philadelphia

New England over Indianapolis

Minnesota wins the Super Bowl

Wildcard Round

NY Jets At. Cincinnati Bengals

Philedelphia At. Dallas

Baltimore At. New England

Green Bay At. Arizona

================================================

Divisional Round

Green Bay At. New Orleans

Cincinnati At. Indianapolis

Dallas At. Minnesota

]New England At. San Diego

Conference Championships

New Orleans At. Dallas

San Diego At. Indianapolis

SUPER BOWL

San Diego Vs. New Orleans

Wildcard round was pretty easy to predict. Carson and the boys are going to take that thrashing by the Jets personal from last week, and in the memory of Chris Henry, lay the smackdown on the Jets. Dallas beats Philly for the third time this year. Yeah, I said it, three times. It's the Boys year and they're not backing down. I just can't bet against Tom Brady in this one against the Ravens. The Ravens offense showed me they weren't up to par last week against a lack luster Raiders team. Arizona is suspect, and with no Aquan Boldin I think Aaron Rodgers finally has his coming out party.

Divisional Round was much easier to predict. New Orleans and Indy are much to strong for there wild card winning opponents. While I wanted to go for Brett Favre climbing the mountain once more, the Boys are peaking at the right time while the Vikes are fading down the stretch. Granted, they just beat the Giants, but then again, who can't now a days? San Diego is too good for anyone these days. With the loss of Wes Welker and an already suspect defense, the Pats won't stick around with the Bolts for too long.

While I want to predict a defensive battle for the Saints and Boys in the NFC title game, I just can't. The Cowboys backfield is amazingly suspect and I think Drew Brees is going to tare them apart, piece by piece. Look for Tony Romo to have a good game too, but a few good plays by Darren Sharper should seal the win for the Saints. I also look for the Chargers to out the Colts for the third year in a row. They're just too good, there is no way I can bet against them in any game.

The Superbowl. Drew Brees against his old team. The team that thought he was washed up and so they let him go in favor of Rivers. Well it seems like it's going to work out well for both teams as they will meet in the Superbowl this year. San Diego is just good on too many fronts and a dwindling L.T. will finally get his ring, and Phillip Rivers will solidify himself as a top tier QB in the NFL for years to come.

a big "come the fuck on" to holmgren and the new front office about the insultingly low offer to josh cribbs...which is apparently their final offer from what ive read. How do you offer him 1.4 mil a year when someone like devin hester makes 5.5 and andre davis makes 4.3?

I said good for Josh Cribbs. He'll cash in big with a better team. Although iv'e read he wants to be a Brown for life. I could see him becoming a Steeler who desperately need some help on the special teams side of the ball. Or maybe a team like Miami to further there wildcat.

Edit: also, anyone think with Charlie Weiss becoming the new O-Coordinator of the Cheifs, they actually pull the trigger and draft Jimmy Clausen to backup Cassel?

Edited by HeyThereDelilah

The thing is Cribbs has already proven to be a much more potent offensive weapon than Hester and Davis.

That's why the Browns are the Browns. Cribbs is a Steeler killer and the sole reason the Browns scored any points in their win against the Steelers. In a perfect world for me Cribbs comes to Pittsburgh.

But that will never happen so I won't even bother dreaming.

EDIT: It appears he's still under contract. Sucks to be him. Maybe he'll be traded to Oakland.

Edited by Evil Chase K

I said good for Josh Cribbs. He'll cash in big with a better team. Although iv'e read he wants to be a Brown for life. I could see him becoming a Steeler who desperately need some help on the special teams side of the ball. Or maybe a team like Miami to further there wildcat.

Edit: also, anyone think with Charlie Weiss becoming the new O-Coordinator of the Cheifs, they actually pull the trigger and draft Jimmy Clausen to backup Cassel?

If they want to have two of the most overpaid, terrible QBs in the NFL then I'd say that's a good idea.

Wild Card

Philadelphia @ Dallas

Green Bay @ Arizona

Baltimore @ New England

New York @ Cincinnati

Divisional

Dallas @ Minnesota

Green Bay @ New Orleans

Cincinati @ Indianapolis

New England @ San Diego

Conference Championship

Green Bay @ Minnesota

San Diego @ Indianapolis

Super Bowl

Green Bay vs San Diego

So yeah, I'm really liking Green Bay at the moment and can see some of the 2007 'Road Warrior' Giants in them, which I think will get them to the Superbowl as underdogs but lose out narrowly to the juggernaut that is Phillip Rivers' Chargers. I'm being generous to the Colts making it to Conference Finals, because I can see them choking against Cinci, but I think they'll pull it off. Really think this is San Diego's year.

I just can't get up for San Diego. They always are a popular pick in the playoffs and then they get their ass beat.

They're lucky the Steelers didn't make the playoffs, but the Pats did. So the Chargers may have a chance to go if they can avoid New England. But I don't think they will.

Clausen over Suh, if it happens, will go down in history as one of the biggest "What the fuck?" moments in the NFL Draft.

Also, I found this really interesting. No real surprises when you look at the overall standings, except maybe the Broncos being higher than both Baltimore and New York, who both have won Super Bowls. Obviously the top 4 of the decade were going to be Indy, NE, Pitt, and Philly. No questions there.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/01/07/nfl-standings-for-the-decade-colts-patriots-are-the-best-lion/