NFL 2009

livid

So.... I intend on moderately following the NFL this season. However, by knowledge of it is minimal. Who would like to give me a brief overview of the top teams, etc?

Yeah, I'm kind of in the same boat. I've watched games semi-regularly for the last couple of years but my understanding of the behind-the-scenes stuff is even less than my knowledge of the game itself. I kind of ended up supporting the Ravens because my ex was from Baltimore, what are they like? Unpopular team or not? Decent team or not? Anything else noteworthy? They seemed to do pretty well last season, at least, but things change so much season-to-season in the NFL.

The fuck does everyone wanna play for the Cowboys for?

Like, really. <_<

Who wouldn't love to play for a team with a coach that you know is going to let you do whatever you want. Sure you won't win a Championship, but you wouldn't have to do all that pesky work and stuff.

That's the thing though, Ray Lewis is not only a great player he's a fantastic leader which is just what Dallas needs. Though with DeMarcus Ware supposedly getting the biggest contract in team history soon and several other free agents at various positions we could do with re-signing I wouldn't have thought it likely we bring him in.

Ray Lewis would not work in Dallas. Here's why:

Throughout his entire career he's needed a big, huge DT to take on blockers so he can come free at the QB and the RB. He needs it even more so now that he's a step or two slower. Dallas doesn't have that kind of DT.

So.... I intend on moderately following the NFL this season. However, by knowledge of it is minimal. Who would like to give me a brief overview of the top teams, etc?

You should root for the Detroit Lions. :shifty:

In all seriousness, the Pittsburgh Steelers just won their 6th Super Bowl (most of all-time), so they're currently the "top" team. New England, Indianapolis, and Philadelphia have been dominating the league for years and recently New York Giants, Dallas, and San Diego have joined also had great seasons (The Giants winning the Super Bowl last year). With the league having a salary cap, there's a lot of top teams... it's more about which teams suck than which teams are actually good. Every season there's about 20 teams who start the season as having at the least an outside shot of winning it all.

That's, in my opinion, what makes the league so great.

The fuck does everyone wanna play for the Cowboys for?

Like, really. <_<

Who wouldn't love to play for a team with a coach that you know is going to let you do whatever you want. Sure you won't win a Championship, but you wouldn't have to do all that pesky work and stuff.

That's the thing though, Ray Lewis is not only a great player he's a fantastic leader which is just what Dallas needs. Though with DeMarcus Ware supposedly getting the biggest contract in team history soon and several other free agents at various positions we could do with re-signing I wouldn't have thought it likely we bring him in.

Throughout his entire career he's needed a big, huge DT to take on blockers so he can come free at the QB and the RB. He needs it even more so now that he's a step or two slower. Dallas doesn't have that kind of DT.

Yeah, at this stage in his career Ray definitely can't get places like he once did (even then he needed McCrary, Siragusa, etc. up front) and he needs to be play in a 3-4. Dallas I believe has the 3-4, but lacks the big guys up front. You can easily negate Ray Lewis by not going where he is, and if there's no big blockers up front it is made even easier.

You should root for the Detroit Lions. :shifty:

He's from England's steel city so he may as well follow America's steel city and go with the Steelers. Though that would force you to hate him :P

Yeah, at this stage in his career Ray definitely can't get places like he once did (even then he needed McCrary, Siragusa, etc. up front) and he needs to be play in a 3-4. Dallas I believe has the 3-4, but lacks the big guys up front. You can easily negate Ray Lewis by not going where he is, and if there's no big blockers up front it is made even easier.

It's his leadership qualities more than anything that makes him an attractive option to Dallas. And do you really think he wouldn't bring as much if not more to the table than Zach Thomas did? He'd definitely be better than re-signing and promoting Kevin Burnett or even Bobby Carpenter.

You'll have to wait until after the draft and free agency because a lot of teams will get better or worse depending on the moves they make there.

I still figure the Cowboys can get a first round draft pick off the Dolphins by just offering them some of the guys Parcells has man love for. Besides Ware and Barber obviously.

Of course what naiwf said is true, but only to a certain degree. If you want to jump right in now with a team that will be consistent, you can go with Detroit. They can't get any worse and they probably won't get any better!

Edited by Maxx Is Awesome Teammate

It's his leadership qualities more than anything that makes him an attractive option to Dallas. And do you really think he wouldn't bring as much if not more to the table than Zach Thomas did? He'd definitely be better than re-signing and promoting Kevin Burnett or even Bobby Carpenter.

For the money it's going to cost to bring him in just to be a leader, they could easily save that money if Tony Romo or Wade Philips decide to lead the team like they should.

For the money it's going to cost to bring him in just to be a leader, they could easily save that money if Tony Romo or Wade Philips decide to lead the team like they should.

Part of me would like to see Ray Lewis go to Dallas only for him to lead a rebellion like he did under Billick in 07.

Haynesworth to the Redskins?

Citing a "very well-connected league source," Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle reports that Albert Haynesworth will sign with the Redskins at the start of free agency unless the Titans swoop in late.

Zierlein, the son of Steelers OL coach Larry Zierlein, has a blog at Chron.com and does a radio show. His source says Haynesworth will get a deal totaling roughly $100 million that pays $15-16 million annually. Zierlein doesn't usually report and it's hard to see how the Skins will fit him under the salary cap, but this is the kind of megadeal Haynesworth is seeking. Feb. 24 - 1:44 pm et

Source: Houston Chronicle

I suspect Haynesworth as being a player that somewhat slacks off after getting the huge deal he wants. His desire for money was evident in his questionably hurried and early declaration for free agency.

The Redskins interest is laughable. Year in and year out the Redskins find a decent to above average player to horrendously overpay. It's almost seems like a habit of Snyder's.

Also, what are everyone's thought about the possibility of an uncapped league next year. I'm not entirely sure what the concept consists of, but I probably most assuredly would not want it to happen.

I suspect Haynesworth as being a player that somewhat slacks off after getting the huge deal he wants. His desire for money was evident in his questionably hurried and early declaration for free agency.

The Redskins interest is laughable. Year in and year out the Redskins find a decent to above average player to horrendously overpay. It's almost seems like a habit of Snyder's.

Also, what are everyone's thought about the possibility of an uncapped league next year. I'm not entirely sure what the concept consists of, but I probably most assuredly would not want it to happen.

It consists of Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder buying every free agent in the game that year since there will be no salary cap. In other words, they'll be acting as the New York Yankees of the NFL.

Dallas Cowboys Super Bowl Champions 2010!

We'll find out Jerry's been secretly hording money for just such an occassion.

LeBron's not going to New York, he's coming to Dallas!