Obligatory Bi-Monthly "We Like Covers" Thread

Benji

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was only aware of those two. There are more?

Where The Streets Have No Names (U2), Somewhere (West Side Story), Love To Love You Baby (Donna Summer), and It's Alright are cover versions as well. I can't remember where It's Alright is from... but it's a cover.

Edited by PunkRockPete

I DESPISE this crappy little fucking piece of shit band, and they even managed to make one of my favourite songs ever into a pile of steaming wank.

But some of you might like it. :shifty:

New idea: Get Arch Enemy to write songs, and then give them to Dream Evil to cover. That way, we still get the decent songwriting, but it doesn't get completely buried in translation.

Edit: Hmm, upon re-reading, I don't think I made my feelings on Arch Enemy clear enough. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

Arch enemy also butchered a Megadeth song for one of the Kerrang! CDs, Symphony of Destruction I think.

Shame they blow so hard, 'cause she's pretty hot.

Ugh, I didn't click who Arch Enemy were until that word. Yeah, awful.

That's the other problem though, she's really, really not...

angela-gossow.jpg

angela-gossow.jpg

She's like the lovechild of a the main chick from Sex and the City and Ruud Van Nistlerooy. K, that might be a bit harsh, but if I met her in the street and didn't know who she was, I wouldn't give her a second glance.

Whereas...

SimoneSimmons.jpg?t=1236194006

Yeah, I'll take the talented, pretty one plx.

Edited by Farmer Reil

I think Metal Hammer are spying on us, they just put up this article

http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/now-that...cover-versions/

And they nominate...

1. Holy Diver - Killswitch Engage

4. Walk - Avenged Sevenfold

5. Nervous Breakdown - Gallows

8. Battery - Machine Head

10. Master Of Puppets - Trivium

11. The Possibility Of Life’s Destruction - Machine Head

Disc 2:

1. Blitzkrieg - Metallica

3. Aces High - Children Of Bodom

6. Do Ya Think I’m Sexy? - The Revolting Cocks

7. Money - Clutch

8. Orgasmatron - Sepultura

9. Hard To Handle - Black Crowes

11. Cat Scratch Fever - Pantera

12. Immigrant Song - Infectious Grooves

I added YouTube lyrics where they were available.

I don't mind the odd HIM song, but I'm not exactly a huge fan. That said, their 'Wicked Game' was always one of my favourite covers.

EDIT: Going to that forum reminds me of Motorhead doing 'Louie Louie', which is also good.

Edited by rvdwannabe

Machine Head's Battery cover is quite a good cover, surprised I've never heard that before. They do a decent cover of Creeping Death too if you look on the related videos thing.

Edited by Footjob Fever

No, no, no, no, no, no! :crying:

I used to like Metal Hammer, too...

To be fair, other than that one horrifying slip-up, the rest of it seems pretty badass. Not sure I'm going to like the Walk cover, though I haven't heard it. Trivium covering Master of Puppets is an accident waiting to happen, too... but I'll reserve judgement until I've listened to them all. :shifty:

Edited by Farmer Reil

I don't get the hate for the KsE 'Holy Diver' cover. Its pretty much a straight up cover, and pretty inoffensive. The only people who seem to get bent out of shape about it are those who have a real boner for the original, and I guess you get that with most covers, but I've heard a hell of a lot worse.

Nah, the only person who should ever do Dio songs is Dio and Dio alone.

Not necessarily true in every case. But KsE should definately be banned from ever covering anything good. :shifty:

I mean, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVjR6OMznEY, but that doesn't mean you can't try. Unless it's a forgone conclusion that you'll fuck everything up before you even start. I'm starting to be a lot more open minded concerning crap bands doing covers though, mainly because of the shocking discovery that Nickelback are actually pretty good when they don't have to perform songs they actually wrote.

I'm sure this will have been posted by someone with atrocious musical taste (:shifty:) already, but:

Dear God, why?!

I'm sure there have been good rap covers of metal songs before (not sure I'd like them personally, but in their own way I'm sure they were good). This is just a minute and a half of absolute car crash television though.

Edited by Farmer Reil