Obligatory Bi-Monthly "We Like Covers" Thread

Benji

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer covers where I've either heard the original, or heard of the covering act <_<

Also, did Limp do a studio version of Welcome Home (Sanitarium), or anyone know where I can get a decent quality copy of that live one?

Give me 5-10 minutes.

A project myself and a few friends had awhile back was to find cover versions of every single James Bond theme song. We got quite a lot, most of them shit. All of them worth it for this one though:

Nobody Does It Better by Radiohead

But seriously, I challenge you to complete the set. It's like Pokemon, but with dodgy recordings.

A project myself and a few friends had awhile back was to find cover versions of every single James Bond theme song. We got quite a lot, most of them shit. All of them worth it for this one though:

But seriously, I challenge you to complete the set. It's like Pokemon, but with dodgy recordings.

I'm guessing for Live and Let Die, you went with the Guns N' Roses version?

(Diamonds Are Forever, I wouldn't even bother looking for a cover version of, because there's no beating the original version by Shirley Bassey)

I like Moby's version of the Bond theme. I even have it on my Mp3 player.

Right...

Arctic Monkeys - Diamonds Are Forever

Ten Masked Men - Man With The Golden Gun

Radiohead - Nobody Does It Better

This has been fun. I might try and do some more some time. One day I'll come in and make a conclusive list of covers I like, but it'd take hours.

It takes even longer if you try and do it with mainstream bands. Seriously, I spent DAYS on that thing.

I did go for the Guns N Roses version for Live and Let Die, but went for Artic Monkeys version of Diamonds are Forever. There's also a pretty good version of You Only Live Twice by Coldplay out there.

Whilst I do like Nickelback anyway, that cover of "Sharp Dressed Man" is great. It suits Chad's voice, and I've come to realise lately that they're pretty underated musically too. They can bash out some pretty good solo's, and the drumming on Dark Horse, and I really pay much attention to drums, was great too.

I just wish they release a studio version now :(

Also on the Nickleback/cover front:

(ignore the video unless you wanna see Lara Croft meets Drake <_< )

It takes even longer if you try and do it with mainstream bands. Seriously, I spent DAYS on that thing.

I did go for the Guns N Roses version for Live and Let Die, but went for Artic Monkeys version of Diamonds are Forever. There's also a pretty good version of You Only Live Twice by Coldplay out there.

Eh. Depends on the definition of "mainstream". The only band on my list that I don't own anything by is Ten Masked Men - I was limiting myself to signed bands, not just live footage of bands with a Myspace account, or webcam videos of some guy with an acoustic guitar.

Anyway here are some covers I enjoy;

Ciccone Youth - Into The Groove(y) (Madonna)

...I was actually looking for their version of "Addicted To Love", but it doesn't appear to be available on YouTube in the UK.

And because it's not every day I get an excuse to post Russian throat-singing;

Yat-Kha - When The Levee Breaks (first instance of crappy homemade video for awesome song. Grr.)

(shitty quality, and too much of a straight cover compared to the unadulterated awesome of the recorded version)

That's me for now.

Edited by Skummy

Pet Shop Boys - "Go West" -

A perfect cover. Pet Shop Boys cover the equally gay Village People and turn their disco madness into synth-pop deliciousness.

M.I.A. - "Save Ur Soul" -

M.I.A. covering Tom Waits. M.I.A. holds her own and actually makes it her own song. Eclipses the original, in my opinion.

I think it's safe to say that the Pet Shop Boys are pretty amazing at covering songs. I don't think I've heard a bad cover by them.