Guess The Lyrics Game

Farmer Reil

5 is Gaslight Anthem - Navesink Banks.

Fuck it, might as well add another list.

1: This sound is so romantic (let's tear it up!)

2: Before you say a word, before you turn away

3: You've got me stuck on repeat

4: Outside my window I see trouble

5: If you leave I'll be right behind you

6: She's walking around, she's got her headphones on

7: When Jack was born he winked at mom

8: I woke up on a sofa in an unfamiliar house

9: Somebody tell me how to get to Saint Maria

10: You think that we connect

Some of those are well easy. :/

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5) "All hope abandon, ye who enter here - said the sign I read that was hanging above her bed"

The Gaslight Anthem - "The Navesink Banks"

Had to look through my Gaslight and Frank Turner collections, knew it was one of the two...

Edit: Bah, fuck Ross.

Edit II: Well, at least it helped me figure out that Ross' #8 is Frank Turner's "The Real Damage"

1. "CK-1, tell your mom this shit's done"

2. "I went down to the gas station for no particular reason"

3. "Waking you up to close the bar"

4. "Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart! Wart Hog!"

5. "I know you decieved me now here's a surprise"

6. "When the smaller picture's the same as the bigger picture you know that you're fucked"

7. "I can see it in the eyes of many of my friends"

8. "Goodbye. Goodbyeeeeeeeee leggy blonde."

9. "Yeah! Can you smell it in the air?"

10. "I calculate planet alignment like Mayan astronomy"

ROSSWALKER

2) GROOOOWWWWING UP I THOUGHT I'D NEVER CHANGE!! NO APOLOGIES!! ALWAYS STAY THE SAME!!! NOW I "DON'T LOOOK BAAAAACK" by Strung Out :shifty: CHOON! SO 'b-sides' are all fucking incredible.

3) "Stuck On Repeat" by Little Boots

6) "Reckless Encounters" by Benbrick

7) It's from the Jenny Lewis solo album, but I don't have it anymore...so I don't know what it's called, has "Jack" in the title though...I could google it, but nah, I'll leave it for someone else :shifty:

9) "Jack Knife" by Strung Out (this and "The Fever & The Sound" makes them additional options in the "Gaslight Anthem Drinking Game of Doom")

LD

4) "Wart Hog" by The Ramones

6) "Sweet Dreams Sweet Cheeks" by Los Campesinos! (Who are playing here tonight...but I have nobody to go with :()

9) "Some Dresses" by Dananananaykroyd

MINE

1) "St Catherine's Psychiatric Help Line, this is Nancy..." -OR- "As life hangs beside me, I gather all that I can"

2) "I heard his gun was loaded, I knew I heard the pull"

3) "Come on down the furthest reaches of your nowhere town"

4) "Despair to the point till they provoke, the punchline before they have told the joke" "Teddy Picker" by Arctic Monkeys [badotori]

5) "All hope abandon, ye who enter here - said the sign I read that was hanging above her bed" "Navesink Banks" by The Gaslight Anthem [TheRossWalker]

6) "I can't imagine all the people that you know, and the places that you go when the lights are turned down low"

7) "It's over, I must have seen her face before"

8) "I smell the bullshit like the trenchfoot on your breath"

9) "Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine, I'm on the pavement thinking about the government"

10) "WHOA-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH" -OR- "I have often wondered if a pregnant woman is decapitated, will the baby survive? will the baby survive?"

I'm shocked...especially the 2 people who posted, that #10 hasn't been got yet. All could easily be got. 1) are a fairly popular band, 3) is the trendwhore indie band of the year, 6) is like the gayest song about a girl ever and lasts a fucking eternity, but is mint, 7) a bit tougher but still expect it to be got as it's an OBVIOUS one if you know the band, 9) obvious, 10) COME ON! YOU MUST BE ABLE TO AT LEAST GET THE BAND! 2) and 8) are possibly harder. Both UK punk-rock bands. 2) is from one of the best albums of the year and has featured on a gaylist 8) is from the early 90's, really cult band...the singer looks awesome smoking a pipe on an acoustic gaylist cover. :shifty:

Edited by YI

Just to further add to the fun:

1) "Got your rhymes going round in my head, got your supersonic beats mixing up my Keds."

2) "Well I got what she wants. Ah her nose, a tied knot."

3) "In a haze, a stormy haze. I'll be round, I'll be loving you always, always."

4) "I seem to think I think I got a little situation."

5) "She goes away today, he gives her a photo to help her remember."

6) "When darkness folds across this old sky, yes I'll open up for you that night."

7) "Where, oh where, have you been, my love?"

8) "Tore it up and walked away, why'd you wanna go do that for?"

9) "Can you see it's full of lightning, all the futures that I see are whitening."

10) "Helping the kids out of their coats, but wait the babies haven't been born."

Fairly decent cross-section of my musical taste, although a couple of them are a little cringeworthy >_<.

EDIT: Also, I think I may have your #10 (The)RossWalker...is it Spiderwebs by the mighty, mighty No Doubt?

Edited by badotori

Close enough - it's the cover by the mighty, mighty Four Year Strong.

1: This sound is so romantic (let's tear it up!)

2: Before you say a word, before you turn away Strung Out - Don't Look Back [YI]

3: You've got me stuck on repeat Little Boots - Stuck on Repeat [YI]

4: Outside my window I see trouble

5: If you leave I'll be right behind you

6: She's walking around, she's got her headphones on Benbrick - Reckless Encounters [YI]

7: When Jack was born he winked at mom

8: I woke up on a sofa in an unfamiliar house Frank Turner - The Real Damage [LD]

9: Somebody tell me how to get to Saint Maria Strung Out - Jack Knife [YI]

10: You think that we connect Four Year Strong - Spiderwebs [badotori]

Clue time!

1: Blackpool based pop-punk band, lead guitarist died last year.

4: The artist topped YI's 2008 Best Albums list, this is from the follow-up.

5: Long-running Californian punk band, singer recently left.

7: YI basically had it, anyone wanna give the correct song title?

Eagerly awaiting YI coming in here and kicking himself, I'm surprised he didn't get all ten straight away. I'm shit at giving clues, so they're all well obvious, you should at least get the bands.

Clue time!

1: Blackpool based pop-punk band, lead guitarist died last year.

4: The artist topped YI's 2008 Best Albums list, this is from the follow-up.

5: Long-running Californian punk band, singer recently left.

7: YI basically had it, anyone wanna give the correct song title?

Eagerly awaiting YI coming in here and kicking himself, I'm surprised he didn't get all ten straight away. I'm shit at giving clues, so they're all well obvious, you should at least get the bands.

For fucks sake...bad times, I knew 1 (the brackets gave it away) I just couldn't place the band (I listen to so much shit like this :shifty:);

1) "What Seems To Be The Officer, Problem?" by Me Vs Hero

2) "Losing Ground" by Mike Hale (I really should have known that, as soon as I knew it was Hale I knew straight off what it was)

5) Pennywise, but don't know the song...and I've got so much shit by them I can't be arsed to check through :shifty:

Mine;

1) "St Catherine's Psychiatric Help Line, this is Nancy..." -OR- "As life hangs beside me, I gather all that I can"

4) "Despair to the point till they provoke, the punchline before they have told the joke" "Teddy Picker" by Arctic Monkeys [badotori]

5) "All hope abandon, ye who enter here - said the sign I read that was hanging above her bed" "Navesink Banks" by The Gaslight Anthem [TheRossWalker]

6) "I can't imagine all the people that you know, and the places that you go when the lights are turned down low"

7) "It's over, I must have seen her face before"

9) "Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine, I'm on the pavement thinking about the government"

10) "WHOA-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH" -OR- "I have often wondered if a pregnant woman is decapitated, will the baby survive? will the baby survive?"

With better clues;

1) Canadian band, pulled double duty at Reading/Leeds and just been on tour over here with Four Year Strong, I couldn't go to a show because of my friends birthday grrrrrrrrrr

2) From one of my favourite albums of the year, was on a gaylist, I posted about them like an hour ago in another thread

3) Total trendwhore indie band of the year...holy My Bloody Valentine Batman!

6) Had leukemia..and now has a new band. And I nearly had a nervous breakdown having to decide between his new band, Streetlight Manifesto and Funeral For A Friend at Leeds. :shifty: One of the most 'inappropriately' long songs ever. :shifty:

7) Ska-Prog band...COME ON!!! HOW MANY FUCKING BANDS FIT THAT DESCRIPTION!?!?!

8) Mike Hale is a fan...true to the end...the track name is obvious...Chuck Ragan also covered this song earlier in the year.

9) Gaslight Anthem may have had "Maria" first, but while "Angry Johnny & The Radio" shamelessly references this song, Strung Out got there first with an obvious reference in their album "Suburban Teenage Wasteland Blues"...Metalman would pipe him off (even though he's an old man), if that helps. :shifty:

10) Think ANGRY FOLK! Think...

Edited by YI

number 9 is subterranean homesick blues by Bob Dylan. Why would I pipe him off? What does that even mean?

Suck him off.

Bands for 7, 8 and 10 are right. 6 is wrong. 8 by sheer process of elimination (of the lyrics posted) you could guess the song name. And I'll give you 7 because the song is "Untitled", so technically...you got it right. :shifty:

7) "It's over, I must have seen her face before" "Untitled" by Rx Bandits [LD]

9) "Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine, I'm on the pavement thinking about the government" "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan [Metalman]

With better clues;

1) Canadian band, pulled double duty at Reading/Leeds and just been on tour over here with Four Year Strong, I couldn't go to a show because of my friends birthday grrrrrrrrrr

2) From one of my favourite albums of the year, was on a gaylist, I posted about them like an hour ago in another thread

6) Had leukemia..and now has a new band. And I nearly had a nervous breakdown having to decide between his new band, Streetlight Manifesto and Funeral For A Friend at Leeds. :shifty: One of the most 'inappropriately' long songs ever. :shifty:

8) Mike Hale is a fan...true to the end...the track name is obvious...Chuck Ragan also covered this song earlier in the year.

10) Think ANGRY FOLK! Think...

Oh fair enough.

Whoever wrote 8 should be shot for sickeningly awful lyrics.

Number one is Sharks and Danger by Alexisonfire.

This game would be more fun if you posted lyrics by bands that not only you have heard.

Actually to be fair it would never be fun. I just don't want to do my essay.

1) "St Catherine's Psychiatric Help Line, this is Nancy..." -OR- "As life hangs beside me, I gather all that I can" "Sharks & Danger" by Alexisonfire [Metalman]

8) "I smell the bullshit like the trenchfoot on your breath" "Trenchfoot" by Leatherface [TheRossWalker]

9) "Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine, I'm on the pavement thinking about the government" "Subterranean Homesick Blues" by Bob Dylan [Metalman]

10) "WHOA-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH" -OR- "I have often wondered if a pregnant woman is decapitated, will the baby survive? will the baby survive?" "Bells & Whistles" by Andrew Jackson Jihad [Metalman]

With better clues;

2) UK punk band, from one of my favourite albums of the year, track was on a gaylist, I posted about them like an hour ago in another thread

Actually...these are relatively easy. 3 I know a lot of people listen to them. 6 I know a lot of people like them. 10 I know a lot of people like them. 8 and 2 are funny ones. But 2's easy with the clue I gave...as is 8...given that even if you don't know the song, the title is in the lyric, looking at it there's only really 2 possible words that could be the title and it's just taking a swing at one.

Edited by YI

fuck.

I can hear 3 in my head, but I have no idea who it is.

8: Leatherface - Trenchfoot

9 is clearly Bob Dylan from the metalman clue ( :shifty: ), though no idea what song.

edit: Note to self: don't combine washing the dishes with posting on the internet.

Edited by TheRossWalker

Why does everyone think I want to suck off Bob Dylan? And I already mentioned the Bob Dylan song.

Oh and AJJ Bells and Whistles.

Is number 8 called TRENCHFOOT ON BREATH. How can you have trenchfoot on your breath? What a knob. Bet they're a punk band with lyrics like that.

Because you do?

Right.

And yeah, they're epic, so shush.

MiSwBzWfcojzlpozXvpbe1wfo1_500.jpg

EPIC...AS...FUCK.

1: This sound is so romantic (let's tear it up!) Me vs Hero - What Seems To Be The Officer, Problem? [YI]

2: Before you say a word, before you turn away Strung Out - Don't Look Back [YI]

3: You've got me stuck on repeat Little Boots - Stuck on Repeat [YI]

4: Outside my window I see trouble Mike Hale - Losing Ground [YI]

5: If you leave I'll be right behind you Pennywise - Final Chapters [YI - sort of]

6: She's walking around, she's got her headphones on Benbrick - Reckless Encounters [YI]

7: When Jack was born he winked at mom Jenny lewis - Jack Killed Mom [YI - sort of]

8: I woke up on a sofa in an unfamiliar house Frank Turner - The Real Damage [LD]

9: Somebody tell me how to get to Saint Maria Strung Out - Jack Knife [YI]

10: You think that we connect Four Year Strong - Spiderwebs [badotori]

New list time.

1: Not long ago in my high school days

2: It's been so long, I've been out of my body with you

3: Seems somebody put out the moon

4: Silently I step up with a subversive subtext

5: What she said how come someone hasn't noticed

6: You're walking on a broken foot this time

7: Bless your gilded tombstone heart

8: Feel it coming in the air

9: Well oh well, oh well oh well

10: Mom thinks that you're sad and that you're living alone

I hate getting most of these (actually, I've only got 3). :(

1) "Kristina, She Don't Know I Exist" by Catch 22/Streetlight Manifesto

3) I know...but for the life of my can't place it

6) "Art Of Moderation" by InMe (this album is seriously so fucking good)

7) "Bless Your Tombstone Heart" by The Low Anthem

9) I think I should know this...but no :(

10) Again grrrrrrrrr

1) "St Catherine's Psychiatric Help Line, this is Nancy..." -OR- "As life hangs beside me, I gather all that I can" "Sharks & Danger" by Alexisonfire [Metalman]

8) "I smell the bullshit like the trenchfoot on your breath" "Trenchfoot" by Leatherface [TheRossWalker]

10) "WHOA-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH-OH" -OR- "I have often wondered if a pregnant woman is decapitated, will the baby survive? will the baby survive?" "Bells & Whistles" by Andrew Jackson Jihad [Metalman]

With better clues;

2) UK punk band, from one of my favourite albums of the year, track was on a gaylist, I posted about them like an hour ago in another thread

Actually...these are relatively easy. 3 I know a lot of people listen to them. 6 I know a lot of people like them. 10 I know a lot of people like them. 8 and 2 are funny ones. But 2's easy with the clue I gave...as is 8...given that even if you don't know the song, the title is in the lyric, looking at it there's only really 2 possible words that could be the title and it's just taking a swing at one.

6) Something Corporate: Constantine ???

Edited by hackerjack

6) "I can't imagine all the people that you know, and the places that you go when the lights are turned down low" "Konstantine" by Something Corporate [Hackerjack]

And because nobody is going to get them.

2) "The King Of Exwick" by The Cut Ups

3) "Stay Alive" by The Pains Of Being Pure At Heart

Fuck it, let's go again;

1) "Now the man is on fire, there's death in the kitchen"

2) "They called me the man with the blood of Christ, honesty, but TONIIIIIIIIGGGGHHHHT...."

3) "Can't pretend that you're nothing special, you've got to look at all of your options" "Red Is The New Black" by Funeral For A Friend [Metalman]

4) "The boys in blue wait up all night, the telephone keeps ringing"

5) "Distinctions of courage, only cowards sing at night"

6) "Just one more drink and then I should be on my way home"

7) "Making come true our modest impossible dreams, stuck in public school classrooms at age 15" "D.E.A.D.R.A.M.O.N.E.S" by Modern Life Is Way [Metalman]

8) "I'm not a hopeless romantic, I'm just romantic, yeah, I'm very hopeless"

9) "Go human timebombs, go robotic believers"

10) "How does it feel like to wake up in the sun?" "Let Forever Be" by The Chemical Brothers [Metalman]

Edited by YI