Rate the artist/band: Kelly Clarkson

RPS

Rate the artist/band: Kelly Clarkson  

40 members have voted

1. 1. How would you rate Kelly Clarkson?

• 1 - awful
    • 5 - average
    • 10 - excellent
  2. 2. Best album?

• Thankful (2003)
    • Breakaway (2004)
    • My December (2007)
    • All I Ever Wanted (2009)
  3. 3. Best single?

• Miss Independent
    • The Trouble with Love Is
    • Breakaway
    • Since U Been Gone
    • Behind These Hazel Eyes
    • Because Of You
    • Never Again
    • Sober
    • My Life Would Suck Without You

So I thought we'd do something similar to what's being done in the Movies. Every week or so do another band, get people to rate them out of 10, best album, best single, and so forth. Since Kelly Clarkson released a new album this week, I figured she'd be a great place to start.

Kelly Clarkson won American Idol, and for most bands, that'd be a strike against them. But there is something unique about Clarkson, I think. She has a strong voice, she is very marketable and she has a back bone (ask Clive Davis). She released My December and it got of tanked a bit, but it was this album that really made me take notice. She was basically standing her ground and telling her record label (run by a bunch of men) that she wasn't going to do whatever they told her. Clarkson stood her ground and released a damn great album - My December, while it lacks the pop nature of Breakaway, is a great album. From top to bottom, not a single song is bad or boring.

So Clarkson... love her? Hate her? Indifferent to her? What do you think?

Edited by PunkRockPete

She's not bad, and I do give her credit for having her artistic integrity, but at the same time, it doesn't lead her too far away from the cookie-cutter top of the charts formula.

I don't dislike her, but I wouldn't listen to her voluntarily.

The novelty factor is there though. I can't even remember how much we used to just start screaming Since U Been Gone, especially when drunk.

Some of her stuff's alright, better than a great deal of pop music, but the new one, something about my life would suck without you? HORRIBLE.

This.

My December was such a step up with darker pop songs that worked, but this new shit ain't cutting it, jack. Nothing like a major label album underperforming to make boring pop and a buzzkill shitty single.

Kelly's great. "Breakaway" had some absolutely fabulous singles. Wasn't too big on the last one. "Since U Been Gone" is an absolute tune. I mean, I think I prefer "Miss Independent" as a song, but fuck, how can you vote against "Since U Been Gone"? What a tune! Great for a drunken sing haha.

She's good, nothing fabulous, but probably my favourite of all talent show winners.

And if her 'new song' is the one I'm thinking of (I've heard it twice as far as I remember, both on the radio in a friends car at the turn of the year...I haven't been watching much music-TV these days, and radio generally isn't my thing :shifty:) then sod you all, I like it. :)

Guest Kept the Flowers

How would you rate Kelly Clarkson:

10 - excellent

Best album?

Breakaway

Best single?

Sober

Kelly's absolutely terrific. She was amazing when she was tearing it up on Idol in 2002, and she's still amazing six+ years on. The thing about her is that she's got the total package - outstanding vocals, tons of charisma, major likability, looks, and even artistry (check out 'Sober'...she wrote it, and it's probably the best song on any of her albums...by a clear mile). People go on about Leona Lewis being the best talent show winner, or even Carrie Underwood, but neither compares to Kelly. Fantasia Barrino's probably second (IMO), but she's still not even close. She really has got more raw talent in her baby toe than most singers have in their entire bodies. And also, she's immensely versatile; Kelly's proven that she can do a wide array of genres fantastically, including pop, rock, soul, jazz, big band, country, blues, alt. folk etc. She's so good that she can make horrible songs sound awesome...that's real talent for you. Also, what I like about her is that whilst her singles are mainly very radio-friendly and catchy, she still does her own thing. Case in point: My December, her tour with Reba McEntire (Kelly's personal Idol), her choice to sing 'Up to the Mountain' on Idol Gives Back, rather than her single, 'Never Again'.

She's good, nothing fabulous, but probably my favourite of all talent show winners.

Are you serious? She's arguably the best singer in mainstream pop. Her voice is amazing.

Listen to 'Sober' here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJnJTyOCj_E

Also, probably my favourite live performance ever, Kelly's take on 'Up to the Mountain', featuring Jeff Beck on guitar:

Some of my absolute favourite Kelly performances:

I'd give Kelly a solid 8, maybe bordering on to a 9. I don't think she's the perfect artist, and I don't think she ever will be, but she does have a rather awesome range. I think that Since U Been Gone is an amazing song, and I think that Never Again is brilliant, especially the video.

So I thought we'd do something similar to what's being done in the Movies. Every week or so do another band, get people to rate them out of 10, best album, best single, and so forth. Since Kelly Clarkson released a new album this week, I figured she'd be a great place to start.

Kelly Clarkson won American Idol, and for most bands, that'd be a strike against them. But there is something unique about Clarkson, I think. She has a strong voice, she is very marketable and she has a back bone (ask Clive Davis). She released My December and it got of tanked a bit, but it was this album that really made me take notice. She was basically standing her ground and telling her record label (run by a bunch of men) that she wasn't going to do whatever they told her. Clarkson stood her ground and released a damn great album - My December, while it lacks the pop nature of Breakaway, is a great album. From top to bottom, not a single song is bad or boring.

So Clarkson... love her? Hate her? Indifferent to her? What do you think?

Why would it usually be a strike against someone if they won American Idol? Last time I checked, the majority of winners are actually pretty damn good.

As for Kelly, I'm not her biggest fan or anything, but she's fantastic if you ask me and much different to the majority of people are the main music scene. Her new song 'My life would suck' is actually pretty good, she's a great live performer and has a great voice. Cant really say anything bad about her, so she gets an 8 for me.