Your 5 favourite players in your favourite team

So think about the sports team you support most and while you love the team dearly and celebrate the victories and every goal/touchdown/whatever it's only human nature to have favourites.

So the question is, who are the five players for your favourite team who you love the most?

For me at Spurs it's Robbie Keane, Aaron Lennon, Jonathan Woodgate, Vedran Corluka and then a toss-up between the mighty Ledley King and Jamie O'Hara.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brede Hangeland is probably my favourite current Fulham player. Genius signing, but I worry that he will probably end up moving on to bigger and better things elsewhere.

Then Andy Johnson, a little bit of quality up front from time to time, which generally makes the difference between a relegation team and one who sits comfortably in mid table.

Clint Dempsey. He has been pretty good recently, and although at times he can seem a bit rubbish, he gives his all, and he was in a rap video, he owns.

Mark Schwarzer, as he has kept us in a lot of games this season.

Danny Murphy, who may be getting on a little now, but still has a good footballing brain, and captains the side well.

Present Day Newcastle United -

Steven Taylor; Obafemi Martins; Kazenga Lualua; Claudio Çaçapa & Tim Krul.

Which is why I don't post in the football topics very often. Not seen much of Krul and Lualua, but what I have seen, I have liked. Çaçapa is great, Martins is pretty much Newcastle's Main Striker since Shearer left and I have met Steven Taylor before, so I mark him just for that. >_>

Michael Owen, Damian Duff, Geremi and Jonas Gutierrez just missed the list.

*shot*

Edited by Black Majik

My list almost picks itself, really:

Mark Noble

Dean Ashton

Robert Green

Valon Behrami

They're absolutely without question, which is why I didn't put in a 5th because no-one really jumps out at me. I love Noble just because he loves the club and puts in 100% effort in every game he plays. Ashton is probably the best player at the club, he's just permanently crocked. Scoring that goal at Old Trafford last season was enough to seal the choice, though. Robert Green is also one of the best players we've got and I like his attitude to the (very few) errors he's made. Signing Behrami almost made me wet myself when it happened purely because he's so amazing in FM (and because we got him for £5m, a steal) and he's been ridiculously consistent this season, getting on with his job quietly.

I can't really think of any other players at the club I like as much as these guys. Collison has come through amazingly this season but I dislike him just for his stupid hair. Scott Parker is one of our key players but he seems like a bit of violent thug every now and then. Cole, Upson, Gabbidon and Collins just seem to get on with their jobs without that much personality. Freddie Sears will probably make his way into the top 5 because he really seems to have his head on his shoulders, but he's hardly played at all so far.

David Fernandez - Looks like he is always having fun when he plays which is a good thing. He's been a top player for us ever his recovery from Gary Caldwell's attempt to ruin his career a couple of years back.

James Fowler - Been a Kilmarnock player for his whole career and looks likely to finish there. A genuinely versatile player. He's excelled in every position apart from goalkeeper. Now seems to be at home as an attacking right back.

Garry Hay - Our longest serving player. Makes up the old guard along with James Fowler.

Craig Bryson - An exciting prospect. This has been a key season in his development.

Manuel Pascali - A dirty, hacking Italian. And I love him for it. Rarely is there a game when he isn't booked.

EDIT: And my all time top 5 is

Gary Holt

Ian Durrant

Gus McPherson

Dragoje Lekovic

Frédéric Dindeleux

...or something.

Edited by metalman

For Spurs it would have to be Robbie Keane, Roman Pavlyuchenko, Jermain Defoe, Michael Dawson (what a great surname that man has! :shifty:) and Aaron Lennon. I guess because I just enjoy watching them play a little bit more than the others. Keane's always giving 100% and can score some wonderful goals, I like Pav's style, Defoe is a fantastic finisher, Dawson is just what I'd look for in a centre half and it's great fun to watch Lennon speed past people.

As for other teams, I'd have to go with DeMarcus Ware, Bradie James, Marion Barber, Jason Witten and Tony Romo from the Dallas Cowboys and Henrik Lundqvist, Dan Girardi, Ryan Callahan, Brandon Dubinsky and Chris Drury for the New York Rangers. I'd put together one for the Orlando Magic but it would just be the starting five.

Australian Football - Richmond Tigers

Matthew Richardson - Champion of the game, turns 34 this year and still plays near full games with more than impressive stats. Always in Richmonds top 5 for the time trial, despite being over 190cm and 100kgs

Brett Deledio - Going to be a star, has huge talent and potential and is only 21

Nathan Foley - Proof the rookie system works, came from nowhere to become one of the games clearance kings.

Shane Tuck - Under-rated player who doesn't get his due. One of Richmonds best midfielders

Trent Cotchin - Going to be a star once he gets fit. Can dominate games even though he was born in 1990 and played just 15 games.

Fernando Torres goes without saying really. To think when we signed him certain people thought that not only had we overpaid, but we'd also got another Morientes. If it wasn't for his hamstrings going we wouldn't be relying on Man Utd to drop points.

I know I moan about Steven Gerrard, but he's only second to King Kenny in our greatest player ever lists. Under Houllier he was the closest thing you'll see to a one man team, although that probably stifled his development in the long run.

Sami Hyypia is the best signing Houllier ever made. I'm really glad he stayed on for another year, I can't think of many other 'fourth choice' centre backs that I have no worries about at all.

Javier Mascherano is the future captain once Gerrard retires, I'm sure of it. His celebrations after the fourth goal against Real summed him up.

Dirk Kuyt lacks in quality compared to the rest of our attack, but even in the final minutes of a comfortable win he'll still run himself into the ground to chase a ball down. A decent guy off the pitch as well, deserves better than the criticism he gets.

Edited by therockbox

Well my favourite team is Ajax and if I had to choose from the current squad it would be

Luis Suarez, he is hated by most people who don't support Ajax but he is a great player. Real South American and will do anything to win.

Gabri Came from Barcelona and proved to be valuable on midfield. A hard worker and Ajax needs that!

Rob Wielaert just came in from Twente in January but he proved himself already, leading the defense in a way that reminds me of Danny Blind in the mid nineties.

Kenneth Vermeer recenlty became first goalkeeper and already helped Ajax wion the match against Fiorentina. A great talented goalkeeper who makes impossible saves from time to time. More reliable then Stekelenburg recently

Miralem Sulejmani, because altough he hasn't been on top of his game recently you can see the enormous talent this guy has. He is only nineteen so we're gonna have a lot of fun from this one!

Tugay - Older than Father Time, on 20 cigs a day and is still capable of putting on a masterclass of passing at 38. A true Ewood legend in my book.

Benni McCarthy - Gets called a lazy fuck and there is that to him but his assets are in his finding space and finishing so there is little point him slogging his guts out.

Stephen Warnock - Always been a fan of his but this season despite us being an utter shambles at times he has excelled in defence and midfield. My pick for player of the year at Rovers, as he was last year.

Christopher Samba - Sometimes naive, but when he is on his game he is a defender everyone hates to play. Big, black and fast. Plus, he can dribble pretty well too. >_>

El Hadji Diouf - This will get me some shit. :shifty: Only just joined the club and yes, he has had his flashpoints already. But he really really does work so hard for the team and has the talent to score or assist. It's about time we replaced Savage with someone every otehr team hates as it is.

James Fowler - Been a Kilmarnock player for his whole career and looks likely to finish there. A genuinely versatile player. He's excelled in every position apart from goalkeeper. Now seems to be at home as an attacking right back.

Probably my least favourite player in the current Killie team :shifty:

Anyway,

David Fernandez: Like metalman said he always plays with a smile on his face and looks like he enjoys just playing football. Also elbowed an Ayr player in the face, you can't ask for much more than that :pervert:

Alan Combe: Easily the best goalkeeper we've had since the days of Lekovic, and easily the most inconsistent since Lekovic. But it just provides to the entertainment, as he makes a cracking save one moment, and then lets the ball through his legs the next. And you can't beat a good old Coooooooooommmmmbbbeeee shout (in the style of the Ruuuuudddd shout) whenever he makes a save.

Manuel Pascali: Like all Italians he is extremely passionate, kicks lumps out of the other players, jumps into the crowd when we score, became captain after only a few months with us.

Gavin Skelton: Looks like a jakie that we've pulled off the street, but is easily one of our better players, and always shows some passion and fight when playing.

Simon Ford: I will always love Ford, basically because he pisses my brother off so much! Slowest player to get back when attacking a corner, showboats at the back when he has two men on him and isn't a very skillful player. But this isn't about best players, this is about favourite and Fordy is immense at pissing everyone off, making him one of my favourites.

Robert Snodgrass doesn't get the headlines of a Beckford or a Delph but every single game he puts in 100%. When we had the bad spell towards the end of McAllister's reign he was the only player out there who seemed to give a fuck. He's a very creative player with a great strike on him and he's only in his early 20's so the best is still to come.

Richard Naylor hasn't been at the club long but he's done fantastic as our stand-in captain and provides a bit of stability at the back. Gone are the days when I chewed my nails off worrying about how many mistake Marques and Michalik were gonna make.

Ben Parker is a player who doesn't have that much natural talent, but for sheer commitment and determination to break into the first team he should be applauded. I've lost count of the amount of left backs we've tried in the last two years and Parker has had to sit on the sidelines, this season thought of as third choice to the inconsistent Alan Sheehan and youngster Aidan White, and even more recently to loanee Carl Dickinson, but he has stuck at Leeds even with rumours of transfers and loans away and has finally nailed down the spot for his own.

Jonathan Howson also had a long spell out of the first team earlier this season after a shaky start, but he got his head down and has come back in to the team and has done fantastically. Once again, not the most naturally talented player but he plays with a lot of heart and clearly loves playing for Leeds. This spot could have gone to Neil Kilkenny for the same reasons, but Howson just edges it.

Jermaine Beckford is an infuriating player at times and if he played for any other team but Leeds I think I would despise him. He does stupid things a lot of the time, e.g. getting red-carded for dissent on Saturday, the elbowing incident against Millwall last month, but I really don't know where we'd be without his goals. Twenty-nine this season alone is just phenomenal, and there's no way we'd still be in contention for the play-offs without him. We really can't afford to let him go, and that's why he gets in my top five.

Edited by Sam_Van_619

Sums up the Scottish league when Gavin Skelton is a top player for a team <_<

Then again his sister is fucking banging, I love Helen :wub:

Sunderland's quite difficult, we've got a completely different team these days to what we used to, not a great deal of players still around.

So with no real rhyme or massive reasoning these days, and in no particular order;

Steed Malbranque - An absolute steal from Spurs. Quality player, couldn't believe we got him. It was worth signing Chimbonda just for the fact he persuaded Malbranque to come and have a look at the club when we tried to sign him and once he met Roy Keane he pretty much signed there and then. Good quality player anywhere in the midfield too.

Danny Collins - Underrated left back, quickly written off by most players but rarely puts a foot wrong. Top player in the air and a solid left back as well and can slot into the middle of the defence too. Has found himself out of the squad pretty much on two occassions and always fights himself back into the squad, got a bit of competition with McCartney being here now but he always seems to get back into the squad. True grafter and never whinges.

Djibril Cisse - A big name for us, and a quality player. Seems like a fun guy and happy at the club as well, just wish he'd score more often but he misses too many easy chances. Has suffered a big set back in his career but he's still got massive amounts of clash and could easily be playing for a better team than us, hope we wrap him at the end of the season assuming the price is fair enough. Just a top player to have.

Grant Leadbitter - Sunderland born and bred and a fan of the club to boot, which you can always tell when he's on the pitch because he gives 100% all the time. Doesn't start all the time but when he gets on he dives around the pitch for everything and pops up with a goal now and again. It's always nice to have a player who truly loves the club playing for the team because they'll know what winning and losing means more than some of the others.

Carlos Edwards - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9lvTQhbxw

Effectively sealed our promotion in Roy Keane's first season after being bottom of the table. This win here was pretty much the icing on the great comeback season and what got us on our current stint in the Premiership. Although you couldn't tell any of that from Keane's reaction. Quinn's reaction, though, is slightly more appropriate to what it meant.

Of current Feyenoord playyers..

Jonathan De Guzman

Georginio Wijnaldum

Giovanni Van Bronckhorst

Jon Dahl Tomasson

Roy Makaay

All time favorites would be

Henrik Larsson

Ove Kindvall

Willem Van Hanegem

Pablo Sanchez

and Jon Dahl Tomasson (again :))

Honorable mentions go to Pi-Air (van Hooijdonk) and of course the almighty Kuyt :P and some more of the golden oldies that I'll probably think of later

Edited by EddieG

1. Ryan Giggs: He's amazing...the way he's managed to keep fit despite his age is mind boggling, I was worried that he would "lose" it but he's been a revelation at Central Midfield, him and Fletcher against Chelsea were brilliant and he's still capable of producing magic on the wing(Inter Milan,West Ham). He's someone who definitely deserves a statue in Old Trafford after retirement.

2. Ji Sung Park: Last season against Barcelona summed it up for me, they had the likes of Eto'o,Messi,Henry running rampant but the protection that Ji Sung Park gave the back four was amazing. He would take the ball and charge down the touchline, then immediately run back and make a tackle. Always gives it his all no matter what and he's a fantastic role model.

3. Nemanja Vidic: Despite what happened at the weekend I still feel he's the best defender in the world currently, he's always willing to take one for the team, isn't afraid to get hurt and is an incredible aerial threat. The goal against Sunderland was an amazing moment.

4. Wayne Rooney: He's a bit of a loose cannon but there is no denying his technical ability and his love for the club. His workrate is amazing, his debut against Fenerbache was jaw dropping and another moment where I marked out was this season against Man City, after Ronaldo got sent off Rooney didn't do anything stupid instead he ran to Mike Phelan to get instructions on his new defensive role.

5. John O'Shea: A bit of a strange choice but come on he clearly loves the team and he's not exactly riding on the coattails of his more talented teammates, When we won the league in 2007 he made 51 appearances(and had the 85% shot accuracy thing going on for him), and I mean how can you not love him after this?

AND this

and if you are still not convinced, this beauty right here:

IAceI - Gavin Skelton never actually plays. He somehow won man of the match after coming on after 80 minutes or so and doing absolutely nothing.

And I forgot about Fernandez hitting an Ayr player. I like him even more now.

I vaguely know James Fowler so I've got to like him. <_<

Edited by metalman

1. Paul Scholes - Scholes is and probably will always will be my favourite player of all time. He reads the game so well and is able to pick out passes that I doubt half of the other players in the team would even spot. You know he'll never give less than 100% and despite the fact that he's only scored 3 goals in the last two seasons, he still has defences scared when he's got the ball on the edge of the box. I can't think of a better professional in the game today. SAF once said that whichever team Scholes is on in training always wins which says it all really.

2. Park Ji Sung - He is an unsung hero really. Park might not be the best technically but his work-rate and persistence is so important to the team that it's impossible not to love the guy really.

3. Owen Hargreaves - He is the player we've missed most this season. Whether you stick him at right-back, right-midfield or in the middle, he'll always give it his all and make the team better as a result. Hargreaves is so good in terms of technical ability that I reckon you could play him anywhere on the field and he'd still do as good a job as the people who play in that position every game.

4. Cristiano Ronaldo - Ronaldo is probably the hardest player to like in the whole world. He's arrogant, he's petulant and he isn't exactly the most loyal player in the world yet when he's on form, you forget about all of those and just love him for the excitement he brings you as a fan. Put simply, he's a player you love if he's on your team and hate if he's not.

5. Nemanja Vidic - Best 'no nonsense' defender in the world. He'll never shy from a tackle and does exactly what he needs to do. What more could you want?