UFC 2009: Undisputed

Maxx

I'm not gonna lie. I am really surprised that Matt Hamill isn't on that list, especially considering he is a pretty decent fighter and even has a win over Tim Boestch who has done nothing noteworthy at all, ever.

I'm pretty certain that the roster would have been finalized a few months ago, which is why there are so many guys on the list who aren't in the UFC anymore. They were scanned already and signed the appropriate documents. It's a pretty big process to make up the roster list for a game's launch.

I'm sure that a we'll see DLC with this game though. I'm thinking something along the lines of every event, 1 or 2 guys will be added as DLC who are featured on the show, but not in the game.

June seems like it's so far away.

• 2 weeks later...

Did somebody say May 19th? :shifty:

IGN has the release date officially set as May 19, 2009.

CBS Sports has a preview of the game up, with a pretty good look at some of the features of the game... but I'm an asshole, so you guys can find that on your own.

From what I've seen it looks to be a pretty good game. Unless it's got a really good career mode, it'll just be a rental for me. I am looking forward to it as I also have always enjoyed MMA games and still play the OG UFC game on Dreamcast from time to time.

From what I've seen it looks to be a pretty good game. Unless it's got a really good career mode, it'll just be a rental for me. I am looking forward to it as I also have always enjoyed MMA games and still play the OG UFC game on Dreamcast from time to time.

Career Mode consists of you creating a fighter and building him up through the ranks of the UFC. You have to schedule your training and rest periods to keep your fighter fit, but fresh. You also get a list of potential fights, which you get to pick one from for your next bout. Which fight you choose will determine how many credibility points you will receive based on the outcome of the fight. So, if you pick a fight against a scrub, you're more likely to win, but you'll get less cred points than you would if say, you fought against Kenny Florian.

You also get to pick up sponsorships and stuff to go on your shorts and banners, which is pretty cool.

Each career mode will last 7 years, at which point you have a retirement fight, and then based on what you've done, you might get into the Hall of Fame.

It's supposed to last around 10 hours, give or take, for each run-through the mode. That said, the replayability sounds like it's pretty good, because each time you can go in at a different weight, train differently, take different fights and so forth. You'll only run into repeat shit in career mode if you're the type of player who finds one way to play that they enjoy, and just sticks with it. If that's how you play, then yes, it will be a rental... but if you like to switch things up and try a variety of stuff, then this game, like most other sports games, should last at least until the next one is nearing release.

Career Mode consists of you creating a fighter and building him up through the ranks of the UFC. You have to schedule your training and rest periods to keep your fighter fit, but fresh. You also get a list of potential fights, which you get to pick one from for your next bout. Which fight you choose will determine how many credibility points you will receive based on the outcome of the fight. So, if you pick a fight against a scrub, you're more likely to win, but you'll get less cred points than you would if say, you fought against Kenny Florian.

You also get to pick up sponsorships and stuff to go on your shorts and banners, which is pretty cool.

Each career mode will last 7 years, at which point you have a retirement fight, and then based on what you've done, you might get into the Hall of Fame.

It's supposed to last around 10 hours, give or take, for each run-through the mode. That said, the replayability sounds like it's pretty good, because each time you can go in at a different weight, train differently, take different fights and so forth. You'll only run into repeat shit in career mode if you're the type of player who finds one way to play that they enjoy, and just sticks with it. If that's how you play, then yes, it will be a rental... but if you like to switch things up and try a variety of stuff, then this game, like most other sports games, should last at least until the next one is nearing release.

Thanks for the info. That pushes it more towards a buy now. Though it all depends on finances. At least they aren't just using career mode as an afterthought.

Will the created fighter be able to change weight? Since some of the fighters are listed as being able to go between two difference weight classes, I wonder if that will be possible here.

We'll have to wait and see on that, as I haven't read anything about the subject.

If I were a betting man though, I'd say no. It's likely that whatever weight class you choose to belong to at the beginning will be what you're stuck with throughout the career mode. Either until you retire, or give up, and start a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

Watching the new video, this game looks... eh. I'd have to play it to really get a feel when I will when the demo's out, but the animations come off as choppy and EVERYONE STRIKES the exact fucking same. Not to mention, the punches and kicks look like they have no kind of impact at all. Seriously, watch that video, and everything is the same. Hopefully that was deliberate, but if not, fuck.

Edited by Will and Lil