UFC 2009: Undisputed

Maxx

Never played the first one, but I really liked Red Faction alot, probably the game I've multiplayered the most in. :) But this just seems so totally awesome, in a strange, non-sensial, horrid storyline kind of way. And you can smash everything. And it has stupid robotic man-driven things. But anyways, I found the UFC demo now (just to get back on topic) and am going to give it a spin after I've done my IT paper. But from what Dirty Johnny wrote it sounds kind of cool.

I suggest you guys play through the whole tutorial. Submissions and takedowns are fairly simple to do once you've done it.

I didn't notice but can you turn the difficulty up? I'm doing fairly well on beginner and takedowns seem too easy to achieve and I'm winning a lot without having to think about blocking. I'm 4-1 now. Beat Rua all three times with Liddell, two knockouts and one TKO and beat Liddell by knockout with Rua after losing the same way in the previous fight (he ducked my high kick and then delivered one of his own, straight to my jaw). Knockouts are brilliant, especially the replay you sometimes get that shows a close up of the guy's face, skin rippling, spit flying out of his mouth with the mouth guard, it's awesome.

There's a tutorial? I didn't even notice that :unsure:

Also, about take downs, you have to hold in LT and push the right analogue stick forward and they attempt the take down, all about timing it right really, because Liddell caught me a few times and managed to reverse it.

Played a few more fights with Shogun and got knocked out about four times in a row in the second round, because Liddell is simply a beast. As I said before, I was really just experimenting, but that didn't take away the fact that Liddell scored some sickening knock outs. And yeah, I just realised you can hit them at times after a sort of knock out punch. I took Liddell down, fired some shots and connected with a sick right hand, everything went slow for a second and Liddell was out and it let me pound away at him, which looked sick. I'll be interested to see if the officials pull you off at any point in the game after one of these knock outs.

Also getting the hang of moving around on the mat now, rather than just pulling myself back up. Controls may certainly take a while to get used to, but I'm enjoying them so far. And you can change the difficulty in options at the start, I noticed it starts on beginner (Think it's called that) and I'm guessing you can change it (I didn't as I'm just trying out the controls right now). Also try to get the hang of things like the spinning back kicks and stuff, some fantastic combos in here, huge movesets and that's just for these two guys. CAF should be very interesting in the game, cant wait to see that. So far they've really nailed Liddell down to a tea though, fantastic counter striker in the game, caught me time and time again on the counter and knocked me down.

I'll play some more, been trying to go to the scorecards to see how things work out, but I haven't been able to make it that far without one of us getting knocked out. I'll check this tutorial stuff out and I'm hoping I can get the hang of the submission system more.

Oh and I'm sure after tonnes of playing this may change, but I fucking love the commentary. Sounds really good and maybe it's because I've only just started playing it, but this is just another plus for me, great reactions to some of the knock outs.

Edited by Dirty Johnny 27

Even though I took the tutorial I cannot for the life of me remember how to do throws whenever I am in an actual fight. <_< I just punch and kick away, get into the occassional clinch and then repeat. Although on my first match I manage to knock our Rua in seven seconds. But the game itself seems cool enough, the menu is really awesome graphically but a bitch to look at; especially with the ongoing theme that everything needs to be tilted. It annoys me like a bitch. Also, the punches and kicks and whatnot are horribly done, it does not look like they connect AT ALL. Otherwise, the gameplay is fun and fastpaced and I definetely think I am going to give this game a buy when it comes out. :)

I've had about 15 fights altogether, using a mix of both of them. I think it's great. Still haven't had a fight go to the scorecard yet, though. I'm hoping they'll come more often with the difficulty higher.

I must say, I'm loving all the variations in attack, and that's just using these guys. Also, I like that the controls take a lot of getting used to. That will help when fighting new guys to the game online, who won't be able to just button smash to kill you.

As hinted above, my mind is made up and I'll be picking it up on release. I don't even watch UFC that regularly, but I can already see I'm gonna have more fun on this than the SDvR/Fight Night games.

Anyone got any news towards the PS3 demo's release?

EDIT: Its up on the Swedish store (:shifty:), so if you're on PS3 in the US/Canada and you don't want to wait, create a Swedish Playstation Network account and you can download it.

EDIT 2: Alright, unless you've got HDMI then the Swedish store ideas a no go, as its PAL and although the PS3s susposed to be region free, the developers apparently coded it in PAL + HDMI, instead of NTSC + PAL + HD, so unless you've got HDMI, you're screwed like me for now.

Edited by Closed and Moved to Archives

Had a couple more fights, this time as Liddell vs. Rua. Won both with the TKO. I was trying to take the fight to the mat a bit more to see what that was like. It's OK, but some elements of it seem a little arbitary, a random and less precise, and while fine they just don't seem as good as the stand-up game.

Still, I did enjoy the fights, and I think I'd enjoy it even more if I had more than two fighters to pick from, so my buying the game looks more likely. The presentation is really good, as a lot of you have mentioned.

Playing on Experienced, I can totally school Chuck with leg kicks and jabs, but no matter how many times I try, I just can't seem to get him in a submission hold. I took a fight to the distance trying to submit him, and won by a unanimous score of 30-26.

I hate that they released the demo a month before the game. I mean, 30 days, give or take, of Rua Vs Chuck... unless they're planning on expanding it with a couple fighters every week or, at least once before the release.

I use leg kicks a lot as Shogun, but I don't see them doing much visible damage to Liddell. I figured, since he's so vulnerable to them in real life, that I would use those, and jabs, to stay out of his range while waiting for a takedown attempt.

Has anyone successfully submitted somone? I make great attempts, but I can't lock anything in. Did manage to get into rubber guard and try a triangle choke, which was cool

Had a couple more fights, this time as Liddell vs. Rua. Won both with the TKO. I was trying to take the fight to the mat a bit more to see what that was like. It's OK, but some elements of it seem a little arbitary, a random and less precise, and while fine they just don't seem as good as the stand-up game.

Still, I did enjoy the fights, and I think I'd enjoy it even more if I had more than two fighters to pick from, so my buying the game looks more likely. The presentation is really good, as a lot of you have mentioned.

I found this true at first, but if you really work in it, it's actually fantastic. Sometimes I just realise I'm really not doing the controls properly and when I really focus, it works out how you want. The problem is, I just cant get anyone to submit. It's impossible right now until proven otherwise ( :shifty: ). I can get them into the submission fine and I do what the tutorial says in pressing one of the buttons and/or twisting the right analogue, but it's still not working after one hundred attempts, so I'm guessing either Chuck has a super submission defence or I'm still not doing it properly, guess I'll have to work on that more.

I've played more and more of this, because it really is great. And another fantastic thing about it is that you start to believe you cant beat a certain sickening knock out, then the next fight comes along and you find one even better. I fought Chuck about ten times in a row ago and he must have knocked me out a good five or six times in round two and three, the best being me missing a right jab and him pulling out the spinning back elbow and once again Shogun collapsed, but he actually collapsed how Cro Cop did in real life and bent his fucking leg up, it looked horrendously sick. Which is why I love this game, it just feels so real in place. Shogun's spinning back kicks are beautiful when you connect with them right and I'm found if you time it perfectly, so are his take downs.

Finally got a fight to the scorecards after a good thirty or so matches. It seems you can barely ever make it to the end with Shogun/Liddell, because they're both just knock out kings on this game, Liddell is lethal with his kicks. Also another lovely little move in there are the submission reversals. Chuck landed a huge right hand, I go flying down and look like I'm out, he comes to pound away and suddenly I manage to grab his arm, flip him over in almost a fucking head scissors and tie in an armbar (Which he didn't submit to, because I cant submit people :( ). I'm guessing we'll see a lot more in the full game, but the score card was just okay really. I cant exactly moan about the scorecard, but they have the scores come up on the screen from the judges before they've announced them. So you see the scores while the announcer starts to read them out, which takes away from the excitement a little, but it's really a minor thing I guess.

Demo or not, possibly the best game I've personally played since getting my 360. It's just damn fun and exciting to play. So realistic in places and I really cant see it boring me after a while, I can see me getting a really nice long life span out of this game. Hopefully the price of this game isn't too high when it comes out, as I'm usually stingey when it comes to buying games and there's no way I'm missing out on this one. Cant wait to play as the likes of Griffin and Rampage.

Finally got it, was a bit frustrated playing as Rua against Chuck (my friend playing Chuck) as moving around and out of button-mashing punches coming my way seemed way harder than it should be. But, playing against the computer on Expert, I'm having a blast. Rua's KOd me twice with mounted hammerfists though. :(

EDIT: Woo. Chuck Superman Punch KO, I likey this game.

I'll probably have some more comments as I play the demo some more, But so far I love the presentation.

I was a little iffy on the knockout animations as they seemed like they were spinning around before they hit the ground, But after playing some more, I figured it out to be the force of the punch was doing that.

Also, You guys have got to try knocking Chuck out with a head kick, Freaking sweet KO animation on that.

God damn Rua's ground and pound. Thats like 5 losses to hammerfist KOs, but I never get sick of the animation. Chuck's eyes rolling back, jaw just dropping and Rua ruthlessly pounding away.

EDIT: Starting to get sick of the animation. Make it like 10 losses.\

EDIT: I've started considering him mounting me my demise every time. HOW THE FUCK DO I STAND IT UP!

EDIT: Learning, slowly. Managed to make it to the 2nd round countering some stuff on the ground before being submitted halfway through the 2nd. Damn Rua.

Also, You guys have got to try knocking Chuck out with a head kick, Freaking sweet KO animation on that.

I got him with an elbow in close, that was pretty sweet.

God damn Rua's ground and pound. Thats like 5 losses to hammerfist KOs, but I never get sick of the animation. Chuck's eyes rolling back, jaw just dropping and Rua ruthlessly pounding away.

EDIT: Starting to get sick of the animation. Make it like 10 losses.\

EDIT: I've started considering him mounting me my demise every time. HOW THE FUCK DO I STAND IT UP!

EDIT: Learning, slowly. Managed to make it to the 2nd round countering some stuff on the ground before being submitted halfway through the 2nd. Damn Rua.

I lost in the same hammerfist way as Rua to Liddell. I beat him up good but then he reversed my submission and clocked me. Those right stick movements are how you get up/move to a better position.

Holy shit I love this game, I KO'd Rua via Superman punch and he just stood there before leaning forward and putting his head on Chuck's shoulder like a drunk guy would, Before slumping down on the mat.

and I see what you guys mean about the hammerfist now that I've bumped the difficulty up a notch, It gets you out of nowhere.

If you think the head kick KO's are cool, KO him with a flying knee or a knee from the clinch. Awesome looking.

I pre-ordered the game earlier tonight. The 19th can't come quickly enough. Those of us on here that get it will have to do some online matches together.