Your favourite dramatic games?

Bigal

What's your favourite dramatic game?

I'm not going to look at this objectively right now; my favourite was Linfield's 1-0 win over Glentoran last night. In second place and four points behind the Glens going into the game with six games to go, we needed a win to get back into it. 0-0 for ages, despite our dominance, and then a goal 30 seconds from time :D

Sorry, I thought I wouldn't be euphoric the next morning, but I still am >_>

Ireland drawing 1-1 with Germany at the World Cup was one where I cheered an equaliser way too much. Ireland were all over them, a goal down, and having all the chances, when finally, Robbie Keane broke through and slammed it into the top of the net, with Kahn getting a hand to it but failing to keep it out.

Otherwise, you got England vs Australia in the Rugby World Cup, which was naturally dramatic all the way through. Though I didn't watch either of these as they weren't on TV, watching Soccer Saturday when Fulham vs Man City and Fulham vs Portsmouth were on last year had my nerves jangling big time.

- '99 CL Final. One minute United are losing 1-0, the next it's 1-1 and they have a corner to make it 2-1 and win the competition.

- '08 CL Final. Penalty shootout. Enough said.

- United vs. Everton at Goodison Park two seasons ago, when we fought back from 2-0 down to win 4-2. Eagles scoring the 4th capped it all off.

- That 0-0 draw between United and Arsenal at OT, when Van Nistelrooy had a chance to score from the spot late on, but smashed it against the bar, then had half the Arsenal side jumping all over him.

Some non-United...

- Cardiff-Leeds in the FA Cup. It was when Leeds were flying high at the top of the PL. They went 1-0 up through Viduka but Kavanagh equalised with a FK, then Scott Young scored late on to knock Leeds out.

- As mentioned, Arsenal 4-4 Spurs.

- Liverpool's victory over West Ham in the FA Cup final in 2006. There were so many times in this match when you thought West Ham could actually beat Liverpool, but they had Gerrard, who had other ideas. Same can be said about the CL game against Olympiakos when he scored another vital goal.

4-4 with Arsenal.

It was the first Spurs games I got to see in Japan, got up at 4am to watch it....Went crazy when Bentley's goal went in, sat through the following hour of depression and then, when I was in a haze of upset and tiredness the last five minures were utterly perfect.

The Carling Cup final last year was lush too cos I rushed from work to the pub and got there when we were 1-0 down and got to experience all the good stuff after that.

A few England games have been great too, but the Greece game where Beckham hit the freekick to take us to the world cup....Words can't describe, so perhaps this video can. It was when Beckham completed the cycle from villain in 1998 to talisman in 2002.

Edited by ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Easily the 2005 Champions League final. I actually turned it off in anger right before half time, when Crespo netted the third, I thought it was gonna be a real thrashing. But somehow I calmed down in time to see all of the rest of the game, and it was easily the greatest comeback I've ever seen.

Liverpool vs West Ham in the 2006 FA Cup Final is another one, that was an epic game with Gerrard saving the Reds right at the death.

The only other one I can think of is also my favourite moment in football history. Doncaster vs Dagenham & Redbridge in the 2003 Conference Play-Off Final at Stoke. We went 2-0 up in the second half and looked like we were on our way back to the league after a five year exile, but then Mark Stein (the former Chelsea one) pulled one back and former Rover Tarkan Mustafe streamed through the defence to net an equaliser late on. So, we thought we were gonna chuck it, only for Francis Tierney to score the golden goal in extra time and end the game, sending us up. Phenomenal.

Manchester United vs Everton from the 06/7 season, Chelsea go 1-0 up at Bolton while Everton go 2-0 up against us with Manuel Fernandes scoring a screamer. Then the Scousebuster himself O'Shea gets a goal in the second half before Phil Neville I think scores an own goal to tie it up. Rooney then controls the ball sweetly and scores against his former club before Chris Eagles comes on and wraps it up with a classy finish

Liverpool vs West Ham was epic as was Tottenham vs Arsenal from this season. Last season's Champions League final was horrible to watch, I felt like throwing up at least 3 times in the penalty shootout in particular when Terry was stepping up to the spot and fidgeting with his armband while the commentators were bigging him up to be "Mr.Chelsea and "Mr.England", it seemed to fit the script that he would score but we all know what happened in the end. :D

United/Munich, not much I can say on it, the greatest comeback of all time in my opinion.

United/Arsenal FA Cup Semi Final (99 if I remember correctly). It was the night when Giggs scored the amazing goal running from the halfway line, magical. I actually remember it more for the TRUE hero, Schemichael. He saved the penalty in the 92nd minute or so and I always think of that as the most important save in the time I've watched football (to me personally).

Spurs/United. Cant remember what year this was. It was the final game of the season and we needed to win, we were 2-0 down (or was it 3-0?). Came out in the second half and slaughtered them, scoring five.

Other mentions would be the England/Greece game, Beckham's freekick is one of the most amazing moments I've ever witnessed in football. Italy/Germany and Italy/France from '06, more the Germany game though, fantastic finish to the game. Throw United/Fulham from a few seasons ago where Ronaldo scored a great goal after a good twenty plus year run and it turned out to be a huge turning point in the season for us. Oh and United/Liverpool when Cantona scored the last minute goal with a half volley that slightly brushed Ian Rush's shoulder, back then I was young and really the FA Cup was actually a huge deal to me, more so than the league.

Portugal vs England, EURO 2004. Epic game, so epic that Postiga scored a goal

Benfica vs Sporting for the Portuguese Cup is always a great match, last season went 5-3 (with Benfica ahead 2-0, Sporting making a comeback, us tiying the game, and they finished us) and 3 years ago, went to Penalties, with Geovanni scoring 2, Simão being Simão.

France vs. New Zealand, 2007 rugby world cup quarter final. 13-3 to the heavily-favoured All Blacks at half time, France don't give up though. 68th minute, forward pass my left tit (:shifty:), JAUZION~! France knock the HEAVY favourites out in the quarter finals. The referee becomes a hero in France. ¬_¬

The 2003 final was ok, but not that dramatic because I didn't give a shit. The most dramatic thing was the underlying "when will Fatt Dunning finally break his stupid fucking neck?" storyline. :shifty:

As for footy:

It was before I was born, but one thing I'll always remember from videos:

"Maggie Thatcher, can you hear me? Maggie Thatcher, your boys took one hell of a beating!". Norway 2 - 1 England in 1981 (I think, early 80's anyway). The match itself wasn't too dramatic, it was all over by half time. But the mentalist Norwegian commentator made it dramatic enough for me. :P

Also, 1994... Everton need Sheffield United to lose and need to beat Wimbledon themselves to stay up. United lost at Chelsea, but Everton are 2-1 down at half time. Barry Horne equalises with one of only three goals he ever scored for Everton, and right at the end Everton score again to keep themselves up.

Obviously the '05 CL final trumps everything though.

Edited by Farmer Reil