NHL '10/2k10

Mr. X

Well, apparently Slogger couldn't get the demo, but I know it was out here in NA. Woke up at 4:30, realized the demo was out, so I downloaded it and took it for a spin.

Det/Pit: I take the Pens, don't sit Crosby and....it ends poorly. They score twice, go into OT, just before we head into OT2 they score. Balls.

Then I did 3 Be a Pro: Got drafted 13th (Islanders), 13th (Wild) and 5th (Coyotes)

So far, using default everything, the highest I've been drafted is 5th.

The announcers refer to the World goalie as Enlund, which makes me hopeful that they fixed the bug where generated players' names were called wrong.

The new fighting engine isn't great, but it's different. I figure, since they can't make an awesome fight engine in an NHL game, just switching it up once in awhile makes it kind of exciting.

I got drafted 5th by the Blackhawks after getting an assist in the prospects game. I also sat two minutes for hooking and five for fighting. Gameplay is noticeably slower than last year but I think it adds to the realism so each team isn't bombing up and down the ice all the time. Also nice to see better defensive AI but I have yet to have a proper board play situation really.

I also tried the cup mode, played Crosby while injured and won 3-0, scoring an empty netter.

Ruki says Demo is out.

He made me promise that I would give him credit if I announced it to EWB. :shifty:

Devastated I missed this post. I could have gone looking for it last night and played it, and now I won't have a chance until after I get back from the country, on Sunday :(

Yeah, Because the PS3 store only updates on Thursday or something, It's up on the Aussie Marketplace now, Scored one goal with the Wings and even that had to bounce of the iron twice and have a Pen kick it in his own net.

Played for the first time today. Downloaded this and the Arkham Asylum demo, both were great, Batman blew my mind because I didn't expect such a fun game. Anyways, I did the BAP and went like 9th to Boston (who I got drafted by in 09 for my BAP :angry:) and didn't score any points. We went to a SO, I got into a fight. I like the fighting, a big upgrade toward it being real. I'm sure with more fighting we'll find flaws though.

Can't wait for the game, hopefully I was adequate enough to join the squad again. I only really played with the same few guys every time. Averaged a PPG WOOT WOOT!~~~@!@!!@~! Seriously though, can't wait to get this going. Is there an online dynasty option? That would be cool if we could get oen of those going.

I got drafted 5th by the Blackhawks after getting an assist in the prospects game. I also sat two minutes for hooking and five for fighting. Gameplay is noticeably slower than last year but I think it adds to the realism so each team isn't bombing up and down the ice all the time. Also nice to see better defensive AI but I have yet to have a proper board play situation really.

I also tried the cup mode, played Crosby while injured and won 3-0, scoring an empty netter.

I think the slower game pace was because EVERYONE on the ice was an undrafted (or yet to be) prospect, so there's no one with the great speed or acceleration. That was my impression at least.

Man, I need to learn how to score in this game. I'm not very good still.

edit: And the very next BAP I get drafted 1st overall happy.gif

Sure, it was on Rookie/Default...but still! Doing Pro/Normal now, I got a deflection goal, so I don't count that.

Edit2: And Jesus...the IGN boards are fucking horrible. They are bitching about the game already, crying about wrap-around goals. It's when I go to other boards that I realize how amazing EWB is.

Also, played Pro/Hardcore, I got three assists (Basically I shoot, and they get the rebound goal), and I was only drafted 3rd.

After playing the NHL 10 demo, I'm probably going to purchase the game. Not really super different from NHL 09, but still awesome and still a lot of fun. Only playing the third period of the games was enough to convince me that it's still a blast. I don't think the board play is as good or fleshed out as it could be, and the game still doesn't quite play like real hockey, but it's the closest I've seen in a video game. Granted I haven't played the 2k series at all on this console (2k4 was awesome on ps2 though :P) but anyways.

In my time with BAP, it seemed like the computer played better defense than before. While I was still able to get behind the defense and call for the pass a couple times, the defense also seemed to be better suited to intercept passes, and on one breakaway, I was shocked to have the computer defender dive and poke the puck away from me.

I played with hardcore mode on, and really didn't notice much of a difference, but then I wasn't passing a ton. Probably would have noticed more if I used it for the road to stanley cup (or whatever it's called) mode, but I didn't see it in the options so I didn't turn it on.

Played as the Red Wings (Go Wings!) in that mode, and really enjoyed myself. In a omg-i-wish-that-happened moment, Marian Hossa scored the game tying and winning goal for me, but only a desperation save by Osgood on a perfectly timed pass to Malkin right next to the net with time running out saved the game.

Good fun. Board play is easy enough to use, I thought it might accidentally interpret the y pressing as wanting to start a fight, but it doesn't seem to, and it's intuitive and easy enough to do, although you probably won't much because it's more fun to go for the big hit.

Only played one time in each mode so far, but it seems to be a very good and tightly controlled game, just like 09 was. Definitely buying when it comes out.