STAR WARS RAPED FURTHER BY LUCAS.

Guest Angry Baboon

Guest Angry Baboon

We've been hearing rumours for about a year now that George Lucas was making further changes to the Star Wars trilogy when it hits DVD on September 21st. It's been confirmed that what you'll be seeing this fall are not the versions we all grew up with, but rather the 1997 Special Editions, with retarded "improvements" like poorly-rendered Hutts and Rodians who miss their targets from two feet away. Lucas claims that the original versions of his classic films will never see another release, prompting folks like myself to shell out big bucks on ebay for (surprisingly impressive) bootlegs.

Well, it seems that Luke's cheesy scream in The Empire Strikes Back wasn't the end of the Lucas Madness. Thanks to a leaked bootleg of the "new" Return of the Jedi, fans across cyberspace are seeing proof that the films have been tampered with still further.

The highlights include Sebastian Shaw's head being swapped with Hayden Christensen's and a new victory celebration, the latter including the Prequel planet of Naboo, complete with dancing Gungans (one of whom cries out "Wesa free!"). It's enough to make one turn to Star Trek for solace.

Reports indicate that 1977's A New Hope has the most changes, though they've yet to leak. Supposedly Jabba the Hutt has been replaced with yet another CG model; and the stormtroopers now all sport Temuera Morrison's voice in an attempt to bring some desperate sense of continuity to the Prequels.

The Empire Strikes Back has been tampered with the least, though its changes are pretty radical. In addition to supplying the voices of the troops, Morrison has also re-recorded all of Boba Fett's dialogue (hear a sample here), and Ian McDiarmid has replaced Clive Reville/Ol' Monkey Eyes as The Emperor. This latter change is so significant because new dialogue has been written and recorded, altering the entire context of the scene (listen here).

This is merely the first wave of news. Expect a detailed review this September, along with an analysis of the original changes made to the Special Editions.

Video of new ending sequence:

http://owenward.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ROTJ-...GHOSTCHANGE.mov

*Cries*

Well that's just dumb. Leave the friggin' movies alone! Although I am interested to see how bad these new versions will be...

Meh, I'd like to see the franchise go far, far away from George Lucas. He may have created the idea, but he's also killing it. A lot of the books that have been created in the Star Wars universe destroy anything Lucas could think up... I think it's time for some fresh blood to run the franchise.

Lucas should've just let it be as a trilogy and never have created another trilogy. Even if that said trilogy let us know who the heck Natalie Portman is, it still just isn't as good. It makes me hope the Wachowskis don't create a Matrix prequel trilogy or another trilogy at all.

*is glad he has the original tape box set*

Heh, I was always under the impressions that at some point the Stormtroopers switched from being clones to being a regular army, or something :S

Same here, I have the originals covered in dust in the other room. Might watch them at some point...

i pritty much saw big parts of this comming and i am so happy that i bought the THX version of the Video (sadly only the german version, but in this cae it is good enough becaus i saw thes movies so manny times before i knew anny english i am just used to it) wich most likly (and sadly) seems to be the best version of the movies (and will be worth a shitload of monney in some years i bet) . . .

i did not hate all the changes they made for the Special editions but overall it had more looses than gains. . .

i´ll still buy the DVD set someday, mostly becaus the extras seem to be as good as they were for the Indiany Johnes set (one of the best DVD extras colecion i know), but sinc the DVD box deffenetly won´t be a quick sellout and i already have the movies annyway i´ll wait untill one of thes days were i all of the sudden have no monney and nothing to buy :D

This makes me laugh, I love watching Star Wars elitists get all riled up. It's cute.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind seeing the Original Trilogy on DVD or let you choose if you want to watch the Original or SE like they did with ET. But we're not going to get that, and Lucas isn't going to budge, so we're pretty much screwed. I got the video release of the original Trilogy though, so I'm fine with that. At this point, getting Star Wars on DVD is going to be for special features. And I'll be waiting until they release a six movie set with the Prequels as well (C'mon, it's Lucas we're talking about here, it's bound to come out). Then and only then will Lucas possibly buckle to public pressure and release an Original Trilogy set. But I still wouldn't hold my breath.

None of these changes sound TOO drastic, with the exception of putting Hayden's face in when Luke removes the mask, I certainly hope they make him look older, because it'll be fucking ridiculous to see a guy who's visibly way younger than Hammil playing his father.

And I do remember reading about a year ago that they removed Greedo shooting first for the DVD release, which is good news.

Star Wars, while occupying a key role in my formative years, has always sucked wookie nuts.

Don't make me prove it in thoughtful debate. It's brought men to tears.

That is all.

Well, I can't tell if that was supposed to be some trolling around or if you really just want attention. I'd gladly like to see what you have to say as your former post was pretty vague and un-necessary.

Star Wars, while occupying a key role in my formative years, has always sucked wookie nuts.

That is all.

well it´s a faritale much more than a Sci Fie movie and for that it dos pritty good whilest it is away pritty far from being the gratest thing evarrrr

That is all.

Well, I can't tell if that was supposed to be some trolling around or if you really just want attention. I'd gladly like to see what you have to say as your former post was pretty vague and un-necessary.

Not trolling, tho I acknowledge that it'll stir up a shitstorm to lambaste the most overrated franchise in cinematic history. Any thoughtful debate seems unlikely to convince you as you indicate that my previous post was "vague and unnecessary (sp)," but I'll allow you to serve this volley. Pick something supposedly awesome about the Star Wars Trilogy, and try to be more specific than "the special effects". I will then gladly rebut.

*is glad he has the original tape box set*

Heh, I was always under the impressions that at some point the Stormtroopers switched from being clones to being a regular army, or something :S

same, it was handed to me from my grandfather. Very, very lucky to have it.