The Official Coca-Cola Leagues Thread 2009/10

Adam

Since there's a new Premier League thread I thought I might as well start up the new seasons Coca-Cola Leagues thread. The fixtures are released tomorrow morning, so it seems the new season is 'officially' here if you like. What do we all expect from our teams this year?

I expect Newcastle to get promoted, simple as. Assuming some of the key players are kept, I believe it's an entirely achievable goal. I'd also like to have just the one manager this year, be it Shearer or not.

Middlesbrough were just a shell of their former selves last year and would have possibly struggled to go up in the Championship in my oppinion. However, if they buy right they can come back up quickly. Newcastle on the other hand need to do some serious rebuilding, it might take longer than people expect.

In other news, Luton might be signing Mark Tyler from Peterborough today, making him our fifth good signing of the summer, i'm really looking forward to this season for some reason.

Anyone know what odds I can get on Newcastle not going up.

As it stands it looks like Alan Martin (Scotland U21 keeper, probably a reserve not a first teamer, played for Barrow in their FA cup run last year) could be our backup keeper which (from the little I've seen of him) could be a decent step up from David Lucas. But, to be honest, I'm thinking we'll end up signing someone to play in the first team and then if Casper stays he'll be back to number 3.

We've cancelled our friendly with Darlo since we've drawn them in the Carling Cup, which is pretty shit really, they need the money, who gives a shit if they find out some of our tactics ahead of the cup game.

And in better news, Jason Crowe has joined us from Northampton, and he's a right back. So hopefully no more Frazer fucking Richardson - the website does say that negotiations with him have been stopped but it's just a passing mention, I'd expect our ex-captain and longest servant to get more than half a line if he leaves.

Now, if we can add this Taylor chap, get shut of Beckford, sign a 20-25 goal a season man and somehow keep Delph, the future may actually be rosy. Of course, it won't happen, but this time of the year is the time to be needlessly hopeful.

• Admin

Here's hoping my two FL teams - Watford and Bournemouth - have seasons of solidarity and establishment, which neither really had last time round. Hopefully Howe will be able to make some more shrewd signings once the takeover is finally completed; and Malky Mackay.... well, I'm praying.

We've cancelled our friendly with Darlo since we've drawn them in the Carling Cup, which is pretty shit really, they need the money, who gives a shit if they find out some of our tactics ahead of the cup game.

Yeah that's a bit disappointing, it's not as if a friendly is entirely representative of your team or tactics for the season. Plus you'd have beaten us in both games anyway.

Expectations for Darlo - At the moment I'll settle for starting the season with a squad. Oh and avoiding relegation has to be our target. Although the few signings we've got lined up so far are decent, so perhaps lower midtable could be a possibility.

Aren't you starting on -10000? I can't remember if you got points docked last year or what's happened about your CVA but you'll be lucky to start in 0 (hope you do of course).

Oh and you'd have beaten us in the friendly, we never do well in friendlies, ever.

I'd like Newcastle to be near the top. The play-offs would be a good, and achievable target I think.

I think our squad is the worst off of the three relegated from the Prem. West Brom are the yo-yo team, so they've got a ready made squad for this season and 'Boro have a lot of youth that could do them good with a bit of experience added. Newcastle however will have to clear a lot off of the wage bill. We need hungry players that can win the crowd over. Hopefully we can keep a hold of a few of our players that will do a job for us in the Championship.

This is going to be the first season I'll be taking much notice of the Championship, quite looking forward to it.

Yeah, the subtitle says 'also featuring Luton' because we agreed to let LCS talk about Luton in here when he asked in the old thread, since he'd be talking to nobody in a Conference thread. <_<

I don't think Derby will be anywhere near the top, for the guy who said he thought they'd go up. I just can't see it, they're not a great side and they don't have many top class players. Outside of Addison, Commons, Green and Hulse, they don't have much of a promotion-chasing side.

Fixtures out tomorrow, so I'm expecting us to get Newcastle away on a tuesday night so I can't go, and we'll have loads of home games in midweek. Basically, everything I don't want will happen.

Looking forward to the new season already for the football league. Dissapointing in some ways that the season couldn't just carry on after our winning season in League 1 but I guess its not too far away really. Tomorrow is the big day as at 10am the new fixture list is released, I wouldn't mind a nice home game against Newcastle to start the season :D