Madden NFL 10

Cactus Drags

I think it actually adds more realism. How many times do you see those fumble pile-ups and the ball being battled for in real games? Plenty. I also like that I don't win every one, in fact I would say I probably end up winning under 50%, even when I fall on the ball first. Nice new feature.

Is there a scramble in a pile? Sure, does the ball rarely change hands? Yes.

Especially in today's day of video review it's easy to go back to see who recovers and as soon as he is touched he is downed. I've rarely watched a game, saw a pile-up, and someone who didn't jump on it first come away with the ball and the refs said the other team came away with it. I mean, 95% of the time as soon as it's jumped upon the teammates put their arm in the first-down motion and are correct they came away with it. I don't think the feature is realistic at all that now you have to button-mash in order to get a fumble recovery, and even if you land on it first and are touched - down by rule - you get this bullcrap feature. I turn it off and wether I left it on and won I'm still displeased with a button-mash feature in a "realistic" football game.

If you think button mashing makes it unrealistic then you're a moron. It's a video game, is tapping a button on a controller to pass the ball realistic? What else are you supposed to do?

And in the piles, how do you know that a ball doesn't change possession and back again? You rarely see instant replay used to work out who got the ball on one of those big pile-ups where numerous players dive on it at once. Not to mention that the team that dives on the ball first in the game has an advantage in the meter.

It's not something that triggers for every single fumble. If your player is clearly on the ball before anyone else gets to it then it's just a normal fumble recovery.

I think it actually adds more realism. How many times do you see those fumble pile-ups and the ball being battled for in real games? Plenty. I also like that I don't win every one, in fact I would say I probably end up winning under 50%, even when I fall on the ball first. Nice new feature.

Is there a scramble in a pile? Sure, does the ball rarely change hands? Yes.

Especially in today's day of video review it's easy to go back to see who recovers and as soon as he is touched he is downed. I've rarely watched a game, saw a pile-up, and someone who didn't jump on it first come away with the ball and the refs said the other team came away with it. I mean, 95% of the time as soon as it's jumped upon the teammates put their arm in the first-down motion and are correct they came away with it. I don't think the feature is realistic at all that now you have to button-mash in order to get a fumble recovery, and even if you land on it first and are touched - down by rule - you get this bullcrap feature. I turn it off and wether I left it on and won I'm still displeased with a button-mash feature in a "realistic" football game.

If you think button mashing makes it unrealistic then you're a moron. It's a video game, is tapping a button on a controller to pass the ball realistic? What else are you supposed to do?

And in the piles, how do you know that a ball doesn't change possession and back again? You rarely see instant replay used to work out who got the ball on one of those big pile-ups where numerous players dive on it at once. Not to mention that the team that dives on the ball first in the game has an advantage in the meter.

It's not something that triggers for every single fumble. If your player is clearly on the ball before anyone else gets to it then it's just a normal fumble recovery.

Unnecessary much? Surprisingly enough, not everyone shares your opinion, and I figure you'd actually be in the minority on this one. My guy lands on a ball, I don't want to be losing possession just because I don't want to send my controller to an early grave (extreme I know, but sometimes it seems you have to REALLY hammer everything to get the ball back). I'm also generally against anything that puts gauges and shit on the screen that screams SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF STOPS HERE. I play Madden to control a team and play football, I don't want to be reminded that I'm really just triggering a bunch of animations with a bunch of arbitary inputs.

• Like 1

Unnecessary much? Surprisingly enough, not everyone shares your opinion, and I figure you'd actually be in the minority on this one. My guy lands on a ball, I don't want to be losing possession just because I don't want to send my controller to an early grave (extreme I know, but sometimes it seems you have to REALLY hammer everything to get the ball back). I'm also generally against anything that puts gauges and shit on the screen that screams SUSPENSION OF DISBELIEF STOPS HERE. I play Madden to control a team and play football, I don't want to be reminded that I'm really just triggering a bunch of animations with a bunch of arbitary inputs.

Seriously, telling other people that using 'name calling' is unnecessary when you're often a culprit of doing the exact thing? I wasn't directly calling him a moron, it was more of a general comment. You only think it's unrealistic to have to tap some buttons because you've never had to do it before. Pressing a button a few times to get hold of the football is absolutely no different to pressing one to catch the ball or to throw it. It's not an element of football they've just made up either.

Thank You.

I was just going to respond to this:

It's a video game, is tapping a button on a controller to pass the ball realistic?

Obviously any "moron" should know the difference between my point of button smashing and just playing a typical game.

As said, pressing the button a few times is no different to pressing it once to perform a different action.

Except it's not really a few times, it's more like press as many buttons as fast as you can, like you do with Arcade games. Also, in regards to realism, it's more about how realistic this game can be even though it's still a game. It's one of the most realistic NFL games made, and throwing in something that's arcadey(Button Mashing) is taking away from that realism. Yes, at the end of the day it's still just a game with buttons and joysticks, but it's a real close simulation without lacing up and going out to play yourself.

I actually like the fight for the fumble, except when three of your guys are on the ball for a good three seconds, then someone from the other team jumps in and the fight starts. I clearly already have the ball and it shouldn't even happen. And then there's other times where they have one guy jump on it wiht some of my guys close by getting ready to jump and they get the ball immediately.

I didn't know it was possible but I was playing a friend and after missing a 36 yard field goal in OT and he failed to convert as the game ended, the game actually went to double OT and I took over where he last had the ball which was easy field position from the 43. I guess ties only happen in franchise? I'm sure I've seen CPU's tie each other.

I didn't know it was possible but I was playing a friend and after missing a 36 yard field goal in OT and he failed to convert as the game ended, the game actually went to double OT and I took over where he last had the ball which was easy field position from the 43. I guess ties only happen in franchise? I'm sure I've seen CPU's tie each other.

I didn't even know you could tie[/McNabb]

I haven't been on today but according to the Pasta Padre site, the AFL DLC pack is now available along with the latest roster update and the first patch. A list of the issues the patch addresses:

* Added Super Bowl and Playoff field conditions in Online Franchise

* Fixed false start griefing issue with online games

* Fixed video player issues (sometimes video would hang) in Online area

* Improved quality of uploaded video highlights

* Switched ranked online games to seven minute quarters

* Random stability fixes

* Added playable broadcast camera angle

* Tuned slider effectiveness

* Made fatigue affect ratings more

* Tuned broken tackle chances

* Reduced/removed holding on kick attempts

* Improved-toe drag catch logic

* General pursuit improvements

* Man coverage improvements

* Fixed double pass online exploit

• 1 month later...

This is fan-dabi-dozi news, I bought the one for FIFA and It was alright and this one's free, So I'll give it a shot, With any luck, They've fixed some of the problems people had with the FIFA edition.

Fingers crossed it will be worth playing for awhile, But it's free so whatever.

Note: I did not type fan-dabi-dozi in, Damn wordfilter.

I'm fairly useless when it comes to the nuances of this game, but isn't there a way to focus your defense on one specific player? I seem to remember it last year, but I'm not sure how to do it.

I hate this game sometimes. My Pro score jumped 100 in 2 games, running into the conference game. Still, I attack well, but my defence just falls to pieces. They score at will, including a 22 yard rush on 3rd and 16 for the win, following about 3 broken tackles. Really frustrating.

Yeah there is in defensive assignments. It allows you to put a specific corner on a reciever you want amongst other things.

EDIT: Misread what you're saying, your looking for spotlighting a reciever or back. Just press triangle and select the correspondig command for the player you want to pick. The same procedure used too change routes on offence.

Edited by The Cool One