Following the premiership

So I'm starting to get more into soccer (I know it's football to pretty much all of the people who will reply to this :P), and with that I've decided I'm going to follow the Premiership league. Thus, I need a team to root for.

I am looking for a team that is not TOO dominant (Man U, for instance) but certainly not a team that has a good chance of being demoted after this season, either. I'd like a middle of the pack team, preferably one with some exciting young players and good management. Having a solid player from the US National Team would also be nice.

So any suggestions...?

Fulham are a pretty solid midtable team who have been doing well recently and they also have Clint Dempsey and Eddie Johnson. Aston Villa are another team that could do well with the added bonus of Brad Friedel. Villa also have plenty of exciting young players. Perhaps more so than any other team.

Tottenham are usually a good neutral team because they have a good team and are pretty exciting to watch, but as far as I can't remember they don't have any US players. (except Kasey Keller. ha)

Edit: I was actually in a similar situation when my American flatmate was looking to go to a match just for the experience last year. Although I told him to forget about the Premiership and just support Kilmarnock. >_>

Edited by metalman

Guest Ringmaster

Assuming you're going to want to watch as much of the team as possible, do you have Fox Soccer Channel or ESPN? In the States, IIRC, Gol doesn't show and you haven't got any of the others.

If you're looking for American players, Fulham have two (Clint Dempsey, Eddie Johnson) and are a mid-table team. Brian McBride and Carlos Bocanegra have also played for them before. The best team with American links is probably Aston Villa. Two US 'keepers (Friedel, Guzan) and an American owner, Randy Lerner. Everton are one of the better teams in the league and have Tim Howard. I suppose there's Wolves with Marcus Hahnemann but they'll be one of the teams battling near the bottom of the table most likely.

Oh, but Tottenham have some sort of business deal with the San Jose Earthquakes so clearly you should follow them :shifty:

Edited by AD

Assuming you're going to want to watch as much of the team as possible, do you have Fox Soccer Channel or ESPN? In the States, IIRC, Gol doesn't show and you haven't got any of the others.

ESPN yeah, but I'll have ESPN360 when I'm at school, and I move back in right around the time the season starts. Does anyone know if they show premiership games on espn360?

Guest Ringmaster

I'm not too sure how it works but FSC has the rights to the Premiership in the US, but ESPN bought Setanta's games so I am not sure what's going to happen. If it's anything to go by, ESPN is going to air the lesser games that Setanta airs while the major action will be on FSC.

In any case, to answer your question, these are the teams with potential to do good that won't get relegated:

Aston Villa

Everton

Tottenham

Man City

Some may add Fulham or West Ham, but one good season out of the mire doesn't mean they'll do good again. That said, rooting for Man City is Satan's work, Villa and Spurs have annoying fans (but hey. North America, we don't have to deal with them!) and Everton occasionally can be so boring to watch at times, it's uncanny.

Also, stop trolling MPH :)

Fulham is pretty much the most likeable team in the world right now. But if you actually want to watch matches the legal way, I guess you'd be best going for a team you'd see more of on ESPN? I'd recommend one of the four Ringy suggested if that's the case. Villa, Spurs and Man City are all pretty exciting teams to watch.

Naturally I say Fulham, though Villa is also a good shout for the US connections. It may also be a case of following a team you might get to see a lot of, in which case, you may need to go a little higher up the league. Depends on who the US networks cover, I guess.