Carling Cup Thread 2009/2010

Adam

I wanted Tevez to stay.

I took his side and not that it matters now but I also was on Beckham's side, in his spat with Fergie.

What confuses me is how quickly it all turned around on Tevez. In my experiences the majority of the fans were on his side, during those drawn out 'negotiations' and now he's the devil, most of the fans hate him and he's getting booed? unsure.gif

Edited by The Ego II

Its because Man U fans being used to supporting the "Biggest and Best Club" in the country, if not the world, can't stand it when things don't quite go their way and are being treated like any other team. I am not critisizing them for it, its just that they're not used to not getting something they want (In this case Tevez) and having it backfire on them (like last night).

The comments on refereeing are a little bit much though, I enjoy watching Manchester United play, their football can be breath taking, but as an objective viewer over the past decade and a half they have had a lot of favourable decisions, even last night they got plenty of injury time at the end of the game which I really couldn't attribute that much time wasted time for, I know the City fans kept the ball when it went out, but there was only one goal, no major injuries then a standard amount of subs, so for me 5 mins was a little bit much.

Having said all that, they go out played for a good portion of last night and Manchester City deserve the plaudits for that, Tevez could have had 3, but I expect Utd to take the game next week and for it to be a Villa vs Utd final

A Carling Cup final which guaranteed that someone 'new' (by which I mean 'not someone who wins a great deal of silverware') would be winning the trophy would be a lovely change, which is why I hope United don't get through. Any of the other three would be fine - it's even been a whole eight years since Blackburn's last win.

Obviously I'm rooting for Villa, but I've become a bit of a mark for Tevez so if it's a case of him scoring to beat Villa in the final, I can live with it.

Not if it's Adebayor though. :shifty:

I wanted Tevez to stay.

I took his side and not that it matters now but I also was on Beckham's side, in his spat with Fergie.

What confuses me is how quickly it all turned around on Tevez. In my experiences the majority of the fans were on his side, during those drawn out 'negotiations' and now he's the devil, most of the fans hate him and he's getting booed? unsure.gif

Did you honestly expect him not to get booed? It doesn't matter why he left, the fact is he went to Man City, our rival team. He then proceeded to score against us and taunt us. Personally, it doesn't bother me and I certainly wont sit here and moan about it, because he's entitled to do so and it must have been a bit of an emotional moment for him. That said, it's easy to understand why our fans were booing him.

Gutted about the final result as we really could of got more from that. I'm actually not disappointed with the performance itself. The first half wasn't great, but we certainly picked up in the second half. Fergie really needs to realise playing Owen/Rooney together isn't a bad thing. We looked much better when Owen came on to partner him and we really need to see the two together more. Looking forward to the second leg at OT, should be a cracker.

He acted a total prick with the celebrations too considering all his 'I love the club and want to stay' rubbish he was spouting last year before he ran off to the highest bidding rival team he could find.

Gotta love revisionist, biased history. The guy wanted to stay at your team, but as per usual, Alex Ferguson had to play his little games, tit around for several weeks when all Tevez wanted was to be offered a deal. When this occurred, not only did the fans want him to stay, but he was playing some great football, but still, Fergie knows best. Tevez had every right to go elsewhere, and if Man City were the team who were willing to stump up the money for him, without all the posturing that Ferguson did for weeks even when it was over a player he'd seen deliver the goods most times he pulled on a United shirt, then so be it.

Tevez played well for you for a few seasons, wanted to stay, but was made part of another Ferguson mind game, essentially. If he subsequently gets stick from the fans, he has every right to give some back when he scores against Man United.

Still I think the Giggs goal is the key, like someone else said. It'll probably be enough for Man United to push on and win at home.

Yeah, Carlos Tevez definately did want to stay at Man Utd. I'm sure his close friendship with Evra and Park played a role in him staying in Manchester. Sir Alex was being a general tit by saying that he wasn't worth the £30mill, that he'd only offer a certain price, etc. - if Tevez was offered a deal at Man Utd, he'd almost definately have signed. But it was Ferguson who wasn't willing to stump up the cash to buy him. You can see the same titting around with Douglas Costa, who was almost a dead cert. to be going to Man Utd, but due to certain tittery, ended up at Shakhtar.

I think it's great that Tevez has finally found the form that brought him to the Premiership.

He wasn't worth £30 million when playing for United, let's not forget last season we had Ronaldo as well so when it's a choice of him Ronaldo or Rooney you obviously pick the latter two because they're better players.

The way he acted towards United last night with his celebrations lacked class but then again this is City and they do lack class. I think the result was harsh on United and the penalty was just an awful decision. But I'm confident we'll beat them at Home, City have a good home record but away from it against better teams they struggle as proven last weekend when Everton played them off the park. I forget if away goals actually count in this cup if so Giggs goal could prove to be crucial.

He wasn't worth £30 million when playing for United, let's not forget last season we had Ronaldo as well so when it's a choice of him Ronaldo or Rooney you obviously pick the latter two because they're better players.

The way he acted towards United last night with his celebrations lacked class but then again this is City and they do lack class. I think the result was harsh on United and the penalty was just an awful decision. But I'm confident we'll beat them at Home, City have a good home record but away from it against better teams they struggle as proven last weekend when Everton played them off the park. I forget if away goals actually count in this cup if so Giggs goal could prove to be crucial.

Because Manchester United are whiter than white? Oh wait, Neville being looked at again for gestures made to City players? I wouldn't throw stones in glass houses, etc etc.

I'd argue the guy was worth £30million as well. Admittedly, he didn't have the goal scoring touch like he has this season, but with Ronaldo going, it was imperative that Tevez was kept on, as otherwise you were losing two players who worked hard and had a touch of quality, and leaving too much for Rooney to do. Owen is good, as is Berbatov, but one doesn't have the engine, and the other is lazy.

In the scheme of things, I think that especially with losing Ronaldo first, Tevez was almost as big a loss, as if you had Tevez and Rooney, I believe that Ronaldo could have been replace with more ease.

• Like 1

Don't get me wrong, I am a United fan, it's just that I thought back then and still do now that Tevez was hard done by. Granted 30 million was a huge ask and I may not have paid it but he was important to the club and we needed to keep him, doubly so after losing Ronaldo.

While he may be acting like a bit of a dick now, that was pretty much after our fanbase turned him from hero to villian. I'd be upset if the fans who were on my side begging for me to get re-signed now saw him as the devil incarnate. Personally If I was at a game I may boo him but I'd be booing Tevez the City player and not Tevez the man and I believe most are booing the man and I don't think he deserves that.

I don't buy the "it's because he's at City" thing either, we've celebrated other players that have gone to rival clubs in the past. I should clarify that, I'm not saying it never plays a part(going to a rival club)but usually a ex-champion player of ours is made to feel welcome coming back, no matter where he goes afterwards.

Edited by The Ego II

Ha no of course United aren't whiter than white as we have Fergie ranting about refs nearly every game these days and as you say Neville was stupid but then again he always does do stupid things against clubs which are rival ones. But it just seems that since the money came in City haven't acted with an ounce of class, Barcelona have huge amounts of money and are one of the most respected clubs in the world, this is what City should strive for rather than the £80 million offers for Kaká and the sacking of managers because they aren't on target for their "objectives".

Also I dislike all the doom and gloom that is written about United, sure we're not as good without Ronaldo or Tevez (and it's Ronaldo's absence we're feeling the most) but we're still up there fighting for the title, last 16 of the Champions League, Carling Cup semi finalists, it's not as bad as everybody makes out.

And the fact is we don't have much money any more thanks to the Glazers running us dry, therefore if we're going to spend £30 million again it needs to be on a world class striker not someone that scored just 5 goals in the league last season. He didn't seem to be able to perform to the level required at United and perhaps at City he has found his level.

Plus Fergie's main concern in the Summer was finding some sort of player that could "replace" Ronaldo which is impossible obviously but I'm happier he spent the money on Valencia who has found his stride in recent weeks than on Tevez. I mean one of the other issues at hand in the deal was the amount of money Tevez was asking to be paid per week, he wanted crazy money when he wasn't worth crazy money by the way he had performed throughout the last season.

Barcelona are just as bad as Real Madrid when it comes to signing players, they behave in exactly the same way to Real Madrid when they want to sign a player - leaking 'come to us' stories in their papers, ex-players coming out and saying so-and-so would be a good fit, higher ups being 'forced' to admit that Player X is a target every five minutes etc. People overlook it though because of the style of football they play and because they've got a likeable manager.

perhaps at City he has found his level.

I never understand quotes like these when they are aimed at players who have moved to other clubs in the domestic league, I can understand if he moved down a league or across the continent... but in the Premier League he's still playing the same teams that he's playing at Man United. How can he be scoring more just by being a big fish in a small pond if the pond has remained the same shape.

I've always thought that Berbatov was bought to replace Ronaldo personally. I'm sure Fergie knew Ronaldo was off, so he bought Berba and took to a 442 formation rather than the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez 433 that got us the 07/08 trophies. Swap Valencia with Ronaldo and you prettymuch have our side from last year where Ronaldo was playing a line-hugging winger for the majority (this changed for CL matches). If Tevez had stayed then he would be warming the bench like last season because of the system Fergie's chosen and his insistence that Rooney cannot be dropped. For these reasons I don't begrudge him for leaving, but what annoyed me was him slagging off the club and Fergie at almost every opportunity when he did leave. Fergie could have handled the situation better (like offering the contract earlier rather than so late) but for Tevez to say "I'm not going to Liverpool out of respect to the club" and then move to City and slate the team so much is why he gets booed. Ronaldo was criticized for trying to move away for 3 years but when he did go, he was complimentary about the club as a whole and he will get a very warm welcome when he returns. I do sympathise with Tevez after having to sit on the bench for a year and largely being a victim of the circumstances in my opinion (needing to prepare for Ronaldo's departure and possibly the lack of finances to match his fee and wages) but it's hard to still like him after how he's acted out since going.

The way he acted towards United last night with his celebrations lacked class but then again this is City and they do lack class.

When we played West Ham and Tevez scored he didn't celebrate and actually held up a hand as if to apologize for scoring. The reason why he celebrated against United was because he was constantly booed and had coins thrown at him by the United crowd earlier this season.

But yeah, we're classless.

perhaps at City he has found his level.

I never understand quotes like these when they are aimed at players who have moved to other clubs in the domestic league, I can understand if he moved down a league or across the continent... but in the Premier League he's still playing the same teams that he's playing at Man United. How can he be scoring more just by being a big fish in a small pond if the pond has remained the same shape.

He's the main option and the attack is designed around him. That makes it easier and presents more options to score. How is that hard ?

I've been one to side with Michael Owen already this season, and I know by the time he come on City were trying to hold what they had earned, but I saw nothing to suggest that he and Rooney couldn't play together on a more regular basis.

Sure, against the bigger sides, Fergie may opt for a more defensive minded central midfield pairing, but Rooney feeding a predator like Owen could be exactly what we need. I don't see Rooney as a striker. He prefers to work for the team and run his arse off, so when Valencia/Giggs/Park gets the ball out wide, there's rarely anyone to play it to in the box, and it's usually a ball played inside.

And when Owen dropped deep last night, he played two excellent passes through the middle that almost resulted in goals. When he's the one on the end of them, he might take three or four chances to score, but he will score. On Saturday against Hull, I'd like to see the Rooney-Owen partnership tested, with Rooney playing as more of an AM next to Carrick or Fletcher in the centre.

Tevez was always going to react like that when (not if) he scored a goal against United. I think he's a twat, but if I'd received as much stick from the United fans as he did, I'd want to prove a point too. It's one of those things where both sides of the argument need to accept it and move on. Tevez will be jeered at OT next Wednesday, there's no doubt about that.

Talking of next Wednesday, I'm 100% we'll go through to the final. I want to say we'll murder them, but I'll be happy with 3-0. >_>