The "I was there" Thread

Baddar

For the first time in years, I'm going to watch Man Utd on Sunday against Birmingham at Old Trafford. I'm really looking forward to it now, and hoping we can start the season with a win...for once. >_>

So yeah, the theme of this thread is to let everyone know what sporting events you're going to or have already gone to, recently.

I was at Vicarage Road last Saturday to watch us draw 1-1 with Watford, and tomorrow afternoon I'll be at the Keepmoat Stadium to watch Doncaster vs Preston. Going to the Riverside Stadium for the first time next weekend too, that should be good.

I can't remember the last time I attended a sporting event that wasn't football.

Interpreting "recently" as broadly as I can, I was at the last game of the Sunday League season in 1997, as Warwickshire beat Gloucestershire at Edgbaston to clinch the title. Nick Knight scored a century, Alan Donald and Ashley Giles took four wickets each, and there was a pitch invasion. A fairly orderly, polite pitch invasion -- but a pitch invasion nevertheless.

Probably my best sporting "I was there" story... although I have witnessed a Paul Peschisolido hat-trick in person too. Actually, that story has a little more to it. I was on holiday in Lancashire with my parents in 1998, and we decided to go and see a football game. We ended up at Gigg Lane, the Bury ground -- Bolton was sold out, I guess. Bury had won two straight promotions at that point, and were in the old Division One after having won the Second Division in 1997. The team was unbeaten in 29 games at the time, but was vaporised by Peschi's trio of boot-comets on that day.

Edited by Emperor Fuckshit

Was at Darlo vs Leeds on Monday. Will be at Darlo vs Bury tomorrow and vs Crewe on Tuesday night. Not sure when my first away game will be, either next Saturday at Port Vale or more likely Lincoln on the 5th of September.

I think the only non-football game I've ever been to was Gateshead Thunder versus Oldham something in May, which was rugby league. And I only went to that cos it was at the Darlington Arena. <_<

I think the last sporting event I went to was San Diego Chargers vs. New Orleans Saints at Wembley. Before that it was probably a pre-season friendly between Cheltenham and West Brom. Hoping to get tickets to see Spurs vs. Wolves at White Hart Lane this December though and already have tickets for the next NFL game at Wembley, New England Patriots vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Was at the Wigan Warriors game against Warrington tonight, we won 36-16, and saw us beat Leeds Rhinos in perhaps one of the best games in recent memory two weeks ago. The scoreline was 28-10.

So, yeah, I'm probably more of a rugby league fan nowadays. It's too hard for me to be able to get to Old Trafford all the time because of the cost basically. Should've been going this weekend against Birmingham using a spare ticket a friend had, but that ticket was given away before he could get hold of it unfortunately.

Oh well; come on Warriors! :D

Edited by KoA

I've been to countless football, baseball, and hockey games over the years. My most memorable one is when my best friend's father won tickets for the Super Bowl. He, my best friend, myself, and my father all went. It was Super Bowl XXXVI when the Patriots dynasty began by beating the Greatest Show on Turf. Easily one of the greatest experiences of my life, and I don't even like either of those teams.

I went to see the Cowboys play the Giants in New York every other year since about 1996. That's ended now since the Giants are doing PSL at absurd prices at their new stadium.

Anyways, notable games I attended:

A Monday Night Football game in 1998 with Jason Garrett playing for an injured Troy Aikman. It was really the Deion Sanders show however, as he returned 2 punts and an interception for TDs. He totaled 226 return and receiving yards that night.

3 years ago, the game that ended with Tony Romo leading a long drive down field and Martin Grammatica kicking a field goal to win as time expired, which happened right in front of my seats.

Sadly, more often than not I've been there for horrible experiences and have unfortunately seen Chad Hutchinson, Anthony Wright, Quincy Carter, Vinny Testaverde, Brad Johnson and Brooks Bollinger play QB for the 'Boys.

I was also at the first X Games.

Was at Hearts vs Sunderland last weekend, Hearts vs Bolton the Tuesday before.

Going to Hearts vs Rangers next Sunday then Hearts vs Dinamo Zagreb on the Thursday after (and every Hearts game at Tynecastle).

Hoping to go up to Perth for the St.Johnstone vs Hearts game on the 30th.

Might be going to Scotland vs Macedonia and Scotland vs Holland too, although what's the point really <_<

Probably my best sporting "I was there" story... although I have witnessed a Paul Peschisolido hat-trick in person too. Actually, that story has a little more to it. I was on holiday in Lancashire with my parents in 1998, and we decided to go and see a football game. We ended up at Gigg Lane, the Bury ground -- Bolton was sold out, I guess. Bury had won two straight promotions at that point, and were in the old Division One after having won the Second Division in 1997. The team was unbeaten in 29 games at the time, but was vaporised by Peschi's trio of boot-comets on that day.

My mum and brother were at that game. They didn't enjoy it as much. >_>

Another (I suppose) historic game I was at was the Championship game in which Wigan Athletic gained promotion to the Premiership in the 2004/05 season. I wouldn't usually have gone being a United fan, but when Latics where down in the lower leagues our school tended to get free tickets from time to time. This was one of those occasions. Wigan won that game 3-1 with goals from Lee McCulloch, Jason Roberts and Nathan Ellington. That was probably the best atmostphere I've ever witnessed at a Wigan Athletic match. Even better than the first ever Premiership game against Chelsea, which I was also at. I paid to see that, though; it was an interesting encounter and Old Trafford was sold out anyway. <_<