The "I was there" Thread

Baddar

That's ended now since the Giants are doing PSL at absurd prices at their new stadium.

Stub Hub tickets. As I have a hard time believing they are going to sell a PSL for every seat in the stadium, especially in this economy.

We knew a guy who had season tickets, we paid $80 a ticket for seats 8 rows from the field. With the new stadium, he'd have had to pay $10,000 a seat, so that's $20,000 before he even spends a dime on tickets, which they also jacked up. It's absolutely ridiculous so I'm done going to Giants games as I'll be lucky to find tickets for bad seats for $160.

I'm going to Winchester tomorrow for the Berkshire Renegades and Hampshire Thrashers american football game in the National Second Division. Sure, I'm playing, but I still count it. Last game of the season, should be a good one.

Best ever atmosphere at a Wigan match? That must mean there'd have been upwards of 10 people there? :o

Haha. No; was actually quite full that day. I'd hazard a guess at the staidum being pretty much full. I can't remember the exact figure.

I went to see the United vs. Arsenal FA Cup Replay during 98/99 (when Giggs scored *that* goal)...sooooo good. Although I do remember looking at Villa Park and thinking "how is this place not falling apart?". Seriously, Macclesfield's stadium looked better.

I was there when one womens team beat another womens team in the womens FA Cup final back in......1995.

Other than that, not much really. I've seen a lot of random games live, from Scotland beating Estonia 2-0 to West Ham Youths beating Coventry (or Middlesborough....I'm a little drunk, can't remember) in the second leg of the FA Youth Cup Final 6-0 (9-0 overall). The best part about that being that one of Lampard's skillfull moves was shown each time Soccer AM did Showboat. Also, I saw Leyton Orient lose 2-0 to Brighton and Hove Albion, with Zamora scoring twice, back when he was at his proper level.

I just e-mailed this to my mate, but considering it's in fitting with this thread, here goes;

Forget the match, the day was awesome.

We got to the couple's house who we were picking the tickets up from. They're big United fans too, and before I went I'd heard from Barry (the guy I went with...the couple is his missus' aunt/unc) that they were related to Darron Gibson somehow.

Anyway, we get there and the guy told us we'd probably have to get the bus in. 20 mins and a sausage/bacon sarny go by, and the bloke comes back downstairs saying.

"I've got you a lift. With Darron's parents."

Barry asked, as you would "Darron?"

The guy confirmed it would be Darron Gibson's parents, driving Darron Gibson's car with us in it to the stadium. Couldn't believe our luck. About five minutes later we got in his missus' uncle's car who took us on a 5 minute drive to Darron Gibson's house. Quite large to say the least, complete with those swinging gates most players have. Met his sister, missus and saw his baby in his house. He was, obviously, already at the stadium.

I felt like fucking royalty going to the stadium. On the way to parking it, stewards were asking Gibson's dad for a "pass", but as soon as he said "Darron Gibson's family", they turned all respectful and just pointed him in the right direction.

We ended up getting out of the car in the player's car park, with hundreds of fans waiting for an autograph from whoever it was getting out of the Audi Sport. Imagine their disappointment when I stepped out.

The awesomeness ended there, because the game wasn't that great. But still, wonderful day. I know Darron Gibson isn't a huge star, but it definitely felt amazing being treated as we were upon arrival.

Apparently, the family in question are also very close to Johnny Evans/his family too. And aye, the unc in question is Irish.

I just remembered that I was at the Tranmere-Leeds match when Leeds started off their season with -15 points (which became -12 that day ¬_¬) I happened to be in the area at the time whilst my Leeds supporting cousins wanted to see the match.

So naturally, being in the Tranmere fans side I was constantly shitting myself every time Leeds did something good/Tranmere did something bad because of the knee-jerk reaction everyone I was sitting with was doing. Luckily as it was Tranmere I didn't get my head kicked in for something like that ¬_¬

• 4 weeks later...

I was there when Italy beat Holland in the semi final of Euro 2000. Holland was 3 times better than Italy but missed so many penalties during the game and also during the penalty shoot-out, including the memorable Jaap Stam piledriver into the crowd :pervert: I remember as a kid of 11 I loved the atmosphere and had goosebumps several times.

I was at City-Arsenal on Saturday. Happened to be in Manchester, so thought why not. Twas my first-ever Premier League game, and it was top-notch. I really don't understand why people were raving about Adebayor's performance though; I thought he did fuck-all other than his goal and that one run.

I was at St James Park a good few years back for a Champions League game between Newcastle and Barcelona.

And no, it wasn't the majestic Tino hat trick game that still goes down as one of our greatest moments in Europe, it was the one where Big Titus played a shit backpass, Fat Pat Kluivert sauntered over for a tap-in, and jogged over to the corner we were sat in, seemingly apologising rather than celebrating...

Main topic title, Toon v Leicester the other week, next one Plymouth on Saturday.