UEFA Champions League 2009/10 Thread

stokeriño

Gutted. Both yellows were stupid, the second in particular, type of thing that is fine in the Premiership. But the second card has to be as a result of the Germans ganging up on the ref.

Ehm, Ribery would have had space running towards a position that would have been great for a long shot and Rafael blatantly stopped him. Doesn't even matter if it's allowed in the EPL, this is the CL and Rafael obviously knows this.

that's europe for you but it is pretty known fact that you can't do those sort of fouls in europe. Yeh the ganging on the ref probably did sway the ref abit but players surround the ref loads maybe not in huge numbers but it does happen but inexperience he's young he'll learn from it. Robbens goal was special but maybe more could have been done before that but thats football.

I'm kinda glad that an English team ain't going to the final. Maybe Platini will stop his witchhunt against England and the Premier League

Typical Germans surrounding the ref, trying to influence him, eh Fergie?

keanereferee468x402.jpg

I feel bad for Rafael and I'm a little disappointed we don't get Barca vs Man Utd II, but still seeing Alex Ferguson acting like a spoiled child is toatlly worth it.

• Like 2

I meant stupid in the sense he was stupid to get them, though to be fair ref should have flagged up the foul on Rafael in the first place and then we wouldn't have got the little bit of afters afterwards. Second one was even more stupid as Ribery was just running into 2 defenders, I was just very disappointed by the way he stopped and ran to the ref brandishing his imaginary card. Alright it was a foul but why try and get the player sent off?

I always thought that our biggest problem today was going to be stopping Bayern from scoring rather than us grabbing a few goals ourself. Their first was soft and Carrick should have done much better in that situation. Rafael always makes these silly fouls every game once he's got into the wrong position and trying to get back goalside of the attacker. He should have learnt by now that you can't get away with it. The first half performance was brilliant but we paid the price for the sloppy mistakes across the two legs (Neville's handball, Evra getting caught on the ball in his own box, Carrick not standing his ground against Olic, Rafael getting sent off).

Edited by Dynamite

R.I.P. Rafael

I don't think anyone can survive a team talk after that performance sad.gif

He was fantastic first half. The problem is that he's just too eager to impress. That's at least the 2nd time he's been sent off (he had one in the Carling Cup) but I'm sure there was another.

I'm not too downhearted. The Olic goal was a poor one to concede just before half time, and with Rafael being sent off not long into the second half, it was always going to be difficult to hang on. We were 3-1 up, but Bayern controlled possession even when it was 11v11 and it become easier for them at 11v10.

Not to mention Robben scoring another wonderful goal. Evra played him out of the game most of the night, then he has one moment of brilliance. This is what world class players do to you sometimes.

The papers will no doubt blame Berbatov tomorrow, saying that he didn't make enough of an impact when he came on. Truth is, we had the ball about twice after he did. :shifty:

Sad thing is tomorrow the great play will all be forgotten, if Rafael hadn't got sent off I think we really would have battered them, but alas that is football. Barca for the Champions League, cant wait for the match against Inter now what with living in Barca, going to be frantic once again!

It's funny really.

Bayern, Inter and Lyon are all teams that have benefited from Real Madrid

The former two because Real offloaded players to them, the latter because they bought Benzema for a truckload giving them all the money they needed to improve their team.

Should be a classic set of semis and an awesome final :D

As much as I like Robben, and usually 'support' sides who knock Utd out of cup competitions to go the whole way, I can't help but think that Lyon will make the final and play in Madrid a few months after knocking the host team out of the tournament. Whether they'll win said final is another thing, mind.

An important thing to bear in mind is that the second leg will be in France, which is the main reason I'm siding with them.

I thought the final 8 (and now the final 4) had a very good mix of teams. It was a bit of a throwback to the days when it was rare for English teams to get so far and playing the continental sides felt special. I'm gutted we didn't make it into the semi's but it should be an enjoyable watch as a neutral.

As much as I like Robben, and usually 'support' sides who knock Utd out of cup competitions to go the whole way, I can't help but think that Lyon will make the final and play in Madrid a few months after knocking the host team out of the tournament. Whether they'll win said final is another thing, mind.

An important thing to bear in mind is that the second leg will be in France, which is the main reason I'm siding with them.

Football Manager says Lyon win, they always play Bayern in my game and always beat them, I think this is sound rationale for why they will win ¬.¬. Plus they beat Madrid and Madrid are THE BEST OF THE BEST*

*If you believe La Marca

For the record, I felt much worse when we lost 3-2 at home to Besiktas in the group stage, despite the game carrying little meaning. Losing that pissed me off no end, because at the time we were unbeaten at OT in the Champions League for a good few years.

Edited by Baddar

Actually, that's probably what it was. Just after the red card, I said to my dad that Utd would need a 4th if they were going to go through, because I just didn't fancy our chances at holding on to the 3-1 lead.

I didn't expect to be beaten by such a great goal either - that also helps.

Edited by Baddar

Ei it was a good goal but for the life of me I don't know why there was another player stood on the post, would have just whacked into him if he was. Robben was their best player tonight, what are other peoples opinions of Ribery? Haven't really seen too much of him apart from these two legs and I don't really see why he is always linked to Madrid, they had better than him with Robben. (And of course Ronaldo and the under used Benzema)

Edited by Sam

Ei it was a good goal but for the life of me I don't know why there was another player stood on the post, would have just whacked into him if he was. Robben was there best player tonight, what are other peoples opinions of Ribery? Haven't really seen too much of him apart from these two legs and I don't really see why he is always linked to Madrid, they had better than him with Robben.

Are you Andy Gray in disguise?