General Television Thread

Hellfire

I'm sad that they're putting Awake in that slot, because that actually looks like a good show that I'm interested in watching so that mucks up the idea of six comedies in a row.

Guest mr. potato head

With that amount of plot, I'm not sure if I just watched the Homeland season finale or some sort of post-show movie.

So my theory didn't come to pass. A little disappointed because "the CIA is awesome!" can make for better TV than "a daughter's love is awesome!", but I suppose the plot they went with has reality on its side. Nice to see them set us up for another year of trying to figure out whether Brody's serious in his new plan or was just looking to buy some time. Crazy Cari was an awesome performance.

With that amount of plot, I'm not sure if I just watched the Homeland season finale or some sort of post-show movie.

So my theory didn't come to pass. A little disappointed because "the CIA is awesome!" can make for better TV than "a daughter's love is awesome!", but I suppose the plot they went with has reality on its side. Nice to see them set us up for another year of trying to figure out whether Brody's serious in his new plan or was just looking to buy some time. Crazy Cari was an awesome performance.

They went against everything I expected and even wanted to happen, but it made for one of the best finales to a show ever. I still haven't heard if it was picked up for a season two or not though.

Okay, fair. But it won them Golden Globes, was a huge critical success, and I'd put Claire Danes as a frontrunner for the Emmy this year too so I figured that would cancel it out.

There will be a second season.

Shit, it's a Showtime show. There will probably be a seventh season.

The ratings were god awful bad, that's why I wasn't sure.

Actually, they weren't. By network standards, yes but for premium cable they were really good. The premiere was the most watched series premiere in eight years for Showtime (and the finale was the most-watched for a first year show ever for Showtime) and caused them to renew it shortly into Season 1.

Oh neat! That's good to hear. Was Teej misled by whatever Dexter's ratings were or something? I don't pay attention to cable ratings much.

I don't remember where I got that impression/news from, but it seems I was mistaken. A cursory glance around, or a read of wiki where livid got his info, confirms what he said. Well that is great news. And yes it begins filming S2 actually very soon it turns out.

Finished the second season of The Office. I'm not laughing out loud on a consistant basis like I do with Communtiy and Parks & Rec, but I'm really enjoying it. Though, some of the time I just feel really sorry for Michael. Like, he just tries so hard and sometimes his unawareness feels more tragic than funny, because at the end of the day you can totally understand his motives. But yeah, it's a lot of fun - a lot of the humour's more amusing than funny but there's a bunch of likeable characters. Oh, and Dwight, who's awesome.

Guest mr. potato head

It's probably worth remembering that season 2 of The Office came four years before Community was on the scene and almost as long before Parks and Rec. The King of Queens and That 70s Show were still on the air and NBC's most-promoted comedy was Joey. The Office (characters and subtlety) and Arrested Development (manic pacing) are really what paved the way for shows likes Community and Parks and Rex.

Edited by mr. potato head

BAFTA stuff - don't know if it needs spoiling?

People on my twitter are getting pretty angry about The Artist's domination at the BAFTA's, most of the awards are well deserved, though it would've been cool to see Oldman pick up the award, but Jean Dujardin was phenomenal. Was fantastic to see Scorsese and John Hurt rightfully honoured, too.