General Television Thread

Hellfire

Saw some early Big Bang Theory yesterday and it struck me that Sheldon Cooper really wasn't as much of a characture in early episodes. It was the episode where he loses his job for insulting their new boss and he really seemed more like a real person right down to his dialogue.

I watch Smash because I love Megan Hilty and hate myself. I'm usually fairly lenient on acting but Katherine McPhee is really really awful. Of the words I would use to disparage it, though, I'm not sure if "offensive" is one of them. It's certainly not as offensive as Glee, for example.

"Scream?" Man, that was years ago. I bet I probably just took a screencap of the Candle Jack episode and then uploaded it on

NBC reveals stills from new shows. I like the concept of the vet who dislikes people, because that's basically most vets :shifty: I can see them pulling at heart strings with animal deaths in that one. Go On - anything with Matthew Perry I will watch by default. 1600 Penn sounds like an even more dull Modern Family. Save Me sounds dull, but I reserve the right to hold judgement until I know more about it.

I'd say Mad Men. I've just started watching it and, whilst it's taking me time to get through because of a gazillion other things I want to watch, it's definitely got my attention. I tried the wire, didn't have enough time and got bored of it. I'll try it again some day.

Edit: Turns out I was pages behind >_>.

Alcatraz getting cancelled doesn't surprise me, it was rather average at the best of times, and stupid at others. Made me dislike Jorge Garcia.

Edited by Devil In Jouzy City

NBC reveals stills from new shows. I like the concept of the vet who dislikes people, because that's basically most vets :shifty: I can see them pulling at heart strings with animal deaths in that one. Go On - anything with Matthew Perry I will watch by default. 1600 Penn sounds like an even more dull Modern Family. Save Me sounds dull, but I reserve the right to hold judgement until I know more about it.

At first I thought you meant war veterans...which also fits. Justin Kirk should be able to pull it off since that's basically his character from the last season(s) of Weeds except with animals instead of bikes.

One more role as the President of the U.S. and Bill Pullman gets a free hoagie.

If Chicago Fire actually films in Chicago, I'm all for it. I'm for anything that gives Chicago actors more opportunities. That said, I hadn't heard anything about this until now.

The Anne Heche thing sounds like they're just transcribing her life, switching in "God" instead of "aliens".

NBC no longer wants me to watch their network

Start preparing yourself for life without Liz Lemon, Jack Donaghy, Leslie Knope, Ron Swanson and whoever's in "Community."

The struggling Peacock network is taking a new direction with its primetime lineup, and that means cleaning house. Until this week, the once-dominant network had been suspiciously mum on its plans for next season. That all changed with a giant info dump from NBC execs which included the fates of veteran sitcoms “30 Rock,” “Community” and “Parks and Recreation.”

All three critical darlings will be given abbreviated “send off” seasons followed by immediate termination. Despite receiving generally favorable reviews, NBC’s long-running Thursday comedy lineup has never garnered stellar ratings. The limited order of 13 episodes for each show must have seen like a good compromise solution for the network that has seen itself slide from first to fourth place over the last decade.

The Peacock plans to add several new sitcoms to its roster to replace the old guard. A network spokesperson confirmed that Matthew Perry’s “Go On,” Anne Heche’s “Save Me,” Ryan Murphy’s “The New Normal,” Bill Pullman’s “1600 Penn” and Justin Kirk’s “Animal practice have all been picked up by NBC. Only time will tell which pilots actually earn a spot on the mid-season schedule.

Seriously. NBC? Die in a goddamn fire.

No, wait, don't die. Just burn in fucking agony forever. Your network is now devoid of anything resembling a remotely redeeming quality.

Fuck. Right. Off.

Guest mr. potato head

1) This was in the Thursday Night thread days ago.

2) All that's changed since 1) is that they've gone from calling it speculation to leaving out the part where it's speculation. Wait for word from NBC.

Here's more info from some TV critic guy on Twitter:

Re: Community, Parks, 30 Rock rumors: Maybe don't trust the 2-day-old unsourced report from the site you haven't heard of.

"Facts" as opposing to "misreported second-hand speculation"? Yup. Totally.

The "report" may be right, but it claims as fact something Deadline appropriately couched as speculation. Ergo.

Guest mr. potato head

Here's more info from some TV critic guy on Twitter:

Re: Community, Parks, 30 Rock rumors: Maybe don't trust the 2-day-old unsourced report from the site you haven't heard of.

"Facts" as opposing to "misreported second-hand speculation"? Yup. Totally.

The "report" may be right, but it claims as fact something Deadline appropriately couched as speculation. Ergo.

I'll have you know that Daniel Fienberg is very much the Bryan Alvarez of television!

(Well actually that's not fair, Fienberg seems to legitimately know his stuff. But Alan Sepinwall is the Dave Meltzer of television, ergo...)