General Television Thread

Hellfire

8 minutes ago, MDK said:

Wild at Heart

I watched that on Friday night - I don't think it's his best, it never quite comes together in the way his best work does, but there's so many individual moments of magic that work; the motif of fire, the usual combination of stunning visuals & great score plus some really fun performances. Laura Dern shines again, though. I think she's the unsung hero of Blue Velvet (which is also infinitely better), and I think likely one of my favourite actresses. 

• Like 1

Just now, Jimmy said:

I watched that on Friday night - I don't think it's his best, it never quite comes together in the way his best work does, but there's so many individual moments of magic that work; the motif of fire, the usual combination of stunning visuals & great score plus some really fun performances. Laura Dern shines again, though. I think she's the unsung hero of Blue Velvet (which is also infinitely better), and I think likely one of my favourite actresses. 

I tried to watch it twice but I couldn't get through it. I just did not enjoy it at all.

Also, Dune. Yes, I know he Alan Smithee directed that, shut up >_>

In recent memory, has there been a show with a critical turnaround quite like BoJack's? I was just reading about it and it seems like season 1 was, while not outright bad, certainly not looked favorably upon by critics. Compare that to seasons 2 and 3 where a lot of the critic reviews are glowing (seasons 2 & 3 have a 100% rating from critics on RT, season 1 has a 56%) and I can't think of any shows in the past few years that have had a turnaround like that. I seem to remember that when it premiered 2 years ago even some people here weren't exactly thrilled by it.

YouTube Red ordered a series from Dan Harmon, starring the Game Grumps. AVClub:

Then there’s Dan Harmon, who is producing a scripted comedy show through his Starburns Industries production company. It’ll star Dan Avidan and Arin Hanson of YouTube’s “Game Grumps” channel as a pair of eSports fans breaking into the “cutthroat world of competitive gaming.” 

• Like 2

Haters Back Off was... something else. The show was quirky and funny and worth the four hours invested... (end of series spoiler)

Spoiler

That last episode went to a dark place I did not expect.

"Why is it funny that someone would love me?" fucking tore my heart out of my chest.

It might not be for everyone, but I loved it.

I'm really enjoying Lethal Weapon so far. The chemistry between Wayans and Crawford is great, and definitely worth a watch if you haven't tried it yet.

MacGyver on the other hand......

5 hours ago, Ace said:

I'm really enjoying Lethal Weapon so far. The chemistry between Wayans and Crawford is great, and definitely worth a watch if you haven't tried it yet.

MacGyver on the other hand......

I said before in this thread that I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if it didn't have the Lethal Weapon name but I'm quite enjoying it. I'm only up to episode three, but I do hope they have a season long story arch.

10 hours ago, MDK said:

I said before in this thread that I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if it didn't have the Lethal Weapon name but I'm quite enjoying it. I'm only up to episode three, but I do hope they have a season long story arch.

At this stage the arch is probably going to be 'Riggs getting over his wife'. But the first season's usually don't have big bad guys or anything. Their mostly about setting up the characters and letting you understand their world. Its next season and on that they would /probably/ have season long arches.

Fox has a new comedy in the works, working alongside Brian Gewirtz and The Rock, based in part on Rocky's early wrestling career. Per Variety:

The project, hailing from Johnson’s Seven Bucks Productions and Ferrell’s Gary Sanchez Productions, received a put pilot commitment at Fox. Andrew Gurland, who created FX’s “Married,” will write the pilot script.

The series offers a behind-the-scenes look at a fictional professional wrestling outfit and chronicles the one-of-a-kind odd couple relationship that develops between a charismatic young character, like the The Rock, and a painfully awkward comedy writer new to the world of wrestling. A fish-out-of-water among all of these alpha males, this beta former sitcom writer needs as much help as he can get navigating the extremely passionate, sometimes crazy and always unpredictable world of professional wrestling.

“This November will mark the 20th anniversary of my professional wrestling debut,” said Johnson. “I was 24 years old, putting in the hard work, making $40 bucks per match and had no clue of the long journey that lay ahead of me with characters and backstage stories so colorful you’d think there’s no way that can be true. The entertaining show that goes on in front of the crowd pales in comparison to the insanely entertaining show that goes on backstage. Brian and myself can’t wait to tell our stories.”

That synopsis is a groaner. 

If you're not keeping up with The Good Place, get the hell on it. It's only gotten better with each new episode. It's a fitting spiritual successor to Parks and Rec, despite being far more high-concept.

Just started watching Chance on Hulu. Hugh Laurie, Gretchen Mol, Ethan Suplee, and more in a - well, I'm not quite sure what to call it yet. Definitely a TV-MA drama. Good so far. Curious to see where it goes.