Songs you wish you didn't like...

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Kinda similar to the "embarrassed by" lists or songs that are different to your usual taste....

What songs do you find horribly catchy despite wishing differently, maybe because you don't "like" the artist or band, or because it flies in the face of your cool music tastes...Or just cos you think you shouldn't like it.

The song that made me think of this is

by the Ting Tings. I don't really like much of their other stuff and "Great DJ" is just horrible. I feel like I'm 10 years too old to be allowed to like it and that I shouldn't find her attractive but I DO in this video despite myself....The beat is catchy and the video is strangely appealing. If the "Nu-Rave" generation brought us anything good it's this pastiche....But I shouldn't like it mind you.

More added as I can think of 'em.

"One Room Disco" by Perfume.

It's Japanese J-Electropop and girlie as hell. To be fair I don't really like the verses but the intro is really catchy and the chorus is fun...and they're just the right side of cute to not be too annoying...But still...I'm a 28 year old fella with a non-Japanese wife. It's not allowed. My teenage students laugh at me when I tell them...But then they like REAL tat.

Also, I love Lily Allen but really wish I didn't sometimes.

would hardly instill people with a belief in my own coolness if they heard it playing on my mp3 player.

"One Room Disco" by Perfume.

It's Japanese J-Electropop and girlie as hell. To be fair I don't really like the verses but the intro is really catchy and the chorus is fun...and they're just the right side of cute to not be too annoying...But still...I'm a 28 year old fella with a non-Japanese wife. It's not allowed. My teenage students laugh at me when I tell them...But then they like REAL tat.

AMAZING song. Was pimping it a few months ago. The intro/riff thing is absolutely epic...and the choreography during it 'tremendous' (I WILL DO THE MOVES). Plus the riff just sounds like Daft Punk, so of course it's awesome. Actually, among student types this song's quite 'popular' over here. Like I know a bunch of people who love it.

There's so much shitty pop-punk...which is shitty, but I adore. I don't even know where to begin with it.

:shifty:

Well let me put it like this, I don't mind being Rick Rolled if you know what I mean.

I really do like that Rick Astley song, as embarassing as that is.

Everything by Lady Gaga. I think she looks like a transvestite hooker but her songs are too damn catchy.

Seconded. I got caught enthusiastically mouthing the words to Love Game in a pub a couple of weeks ago by a lass - she actually laughed at me. Was...harrowing, to say the least.

Linkin Park also produce(d) music I wish I didn't enjoy. I'm 21 now and feel like I should be obligated, by somebody, NOT to find their particular brand of angsty arena rock palatable - and yet I do. I've happily listened to Hybrid Theory and Meteora in the past, and probably will continue to do so well into my 20s. Which is very, very embarrassing.

EDIT: LoveGame - The GaGa (Should be re-titled "This Chorus Wiill Own Your Soul Within Minutes".

Edited by badotori

Honestly, I wish I didn't like half of my music collection. I've never grown out of my teenage music phase, so I still listen to post-grunge (Nickelback and Creed) and nu-metal (Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park). To its credit, and most definitely ignoring the lead singers and lyrics, some nu-metal features interesting musical moments, such as the interludes in Limp Bizkit's and Lostprophets' earlier albums. It has lead me to listening to chilled out music such as Boards of Canada.

I have no excuse for the post-grunge. Nickelback is good when you're feeling aggressive, and Creed is good when you suddenly believe you're Jesus Christ himself.

that Cheryl Cole song is ace.

Also, this.

Honestly, I wish I didn't like half of my music collection. I've never grown out of my teenage music phase, so I still listen to post-grunge (Nickelback and Creed) and nu-metal (Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park). To its credit, and most definitely ignoring the lead singers and lyrics, some nu-metal features interesting musical moments, such as the interludes in Limp Bizkit's and Lostprophets' earlier albums. It has lead me to listening to chilled out music such as Boards of Canada.

I have no excuse for the post-grunge. Nickelback is good when you're feeling aggressive, and Creed is good when you suddenly believe you're Jesus Christ himself.

This pretty much. I don't really feel too guilty about liking shit like Lady GaGa and that though, because while it may not be the best music in the world, it's catchy and a good listen. Not to mention it's played everywhere and after a while, I've mostly grown to like the usual pop sort of songs.

I do feel dirty for having a forbidden love of Love Sex Magic by Ciara though. I also still like to listen to some Atreyu every now and then, I try to keep that to myself as well.

Then again I openly admit that Bon Jovi are my all time favourite band, so I suppose I don't have much shame when it comes to music taste. >_>

What Am I by Emma Bunton. Or rather, I wish someone with a bit more credibility than her recorded it as it is a smashing song.

What Am I? Isn't that What I Am, the one she recorded with some other random band? Or another song entirely? If its the one I'm thinking of, good song.

Whilst it is not a case of wishing I didn't like it, the Alexandra Burke album adverts always end up with me getting the chorus to 'Bad Boys' stuck in my head, which is slightly annoying.

I used to be a trance monkey back at the turn of the century so got some rubbish stuff I liked....

Such as "Toca's Miracle" by Fragma (great 5-a-side girlie video though)

The trance I'm GLAD I like is pretty limited - to Saltwater by Chicane and 7 Days and 1 Week by BBE.