IGN's Madden '05 Review

thatshortguy

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played Madden for the past two days and I have to say that I preferred to '04 to '05 and ESPN 2k5 to Madden '05. Don't get me wrong, I love the changes with the defense and the hit stick but I don't think they needed to change their graphics at all. Last year's Madden was pretty good and they seemed to completely changed it up. Also, the soundtrack sucks balls.

I've played Madden for the past two days and I have to say that I preferred to '04 to '05 and ESPN 2k5 to Madden '05. Don't get me wrong, I love the changes with the defense and the hit stick but I don't think they needed to change their graphics at all. Last year's Madden was pretty good and they seemed to completely changed it up. Also, the soundtrack sucks balls.

Say what you want about the game, but don't say a single cross word about that Chevelle song. =P

No dice on that theory for '05. After running a few games in Franchise with the Falcons, I can tell you that it's gone from offensive slugfest to outright chess match. The defensive hot routes and coverage audibles guarantee that if you're able to read an offense, you're not going to get burned. Playing defense in '05 -- once you get the hang of it -- is finally fun, and the Hit Stick is surprisingly nice.

Chess match. That's exactly what I wanted to hear. Football is like chess and if Madden's gameplay is like chess then I will be getting the game..

ESPN 2K5 > Madden 2005.......in just about eveyr aspect, except Gameplay.....but meh im still going to go get my Madden 2day >_>

Isnt gameplay the most important part?

franchise mode is most important to me. I'm getting my copy tommorrow. Can anyone tell me what the roster cut off date is?

ESPN 2K5 > Madden 2005.......in just about eveyr aspect, except Gameplay.....but meh im still going to go get my Madden 2day >_>

Isnt gameplay the most important part?

franchise mode is most important to me. I'm getting my copy tommorrow. Can anyone tell me what the roster cut off date is?

There is a roster update available online. It'll take you right up to I believe Monday, right before Tim Brown signed with Tampa.

Gameplay indeed is the most important part of the game, and while I've not played this year's Madden I can for one say that ESPN NFL 2K5 is a fantastic game. The presentation is unreal, after going through a week of games in Franchise Mode the little Sportscenter show that is available for you is a great touch. I also find the gameplay to have been upgraded from the last version. While I've yet to play Madden, I defintely would recommend 2K5 to any football fanatic. I couldn't pass it up because of the price tag.

Is anyone else having trouble stopping the pass in Madden?  Thats the one thing I really have trouble with.

I have some trouble with that. I have some trouble running the ball too, at least against a 4-3. Depending on the team I can have some huge runs against me also. I need to practice alot...

Is anyone else having trouble stopping the pass in Madden?  Thats the one thing I really have trouble with.

I have some trouble with that. I have some trouble running the ball too, at least against a 4-3. Depending on the team I can have some huge runs against me also. I need to practice alot...

I also have problems running the ball no matter what team I face I just can't seem to get the running game off the ground. The only person who I've had success running the ball with was Michael Vick.

I've been toying around with my running game in practice mode (because I've been getting straight up shut down in games) and I find that you've just gotta be patient. Don't do the speed burst until you see a hole to run through. If you hold down X from the second you get the ball your gonna be stopped at the line everytime. That's how it works for me anyways.

I also have problems running the ball no matter what team I face I just can't seem to get the running game off the ground. The only person who I've had success running the ball with was Michael Vick.

I only had success with Kyle Boller.

I tear up my own defense in practice, but in a real game I get destroyed. I have one of the best offensive lines in the NFL too.

Guest Takayamanofear

I went 18 for 29 for 221 yards with Rex Grossman against Detroit on Sir *something* sliders for All Madden level. I got this game today it is great. The story line central is awesome. The game play with the sliders I am playing makes it ultra realistic even compared to ESPN. I like how the AI actually picks up free agents this year.