EWB Screenwriting Group

Jimmy

Right, I've been writing for ages, this and that and such like, however, I figure I'd like to try my hand at a different style of writing. Sooo. Any tips for someone who has the bare essentials for being able to do this correctly?

I dont really know much about structure, just what Ive kinda picked up by acquiring Final Draft.

I think the best way is to get your hands on a few scripts and study that. But I really learnt by reading a book. Teach yourself Screenwriting by Ray Frensham was really helpful for me. And The Screenwriter's bible is definitely worth a read, too. I'd say one you read something one of the books and get a hang of it, just trial and error from there.

But yeah, books are a really, really handy way of learning. And on the side just read a few scripts and see how they set things out and such. I think on the last page is a list of good books to pick up. (Y)

I've got vague outlines for a six piece drama series that is loosely based on a Christmas Carol, or the concept at least. It started as a novel but lends itself much better to a television format.

I also have the added benefit of working at the BBC and all my writing time comes whilst I'm at work, so it is quite easy to 'accidentally' e-mail the script to the appropiate people. Fun times.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

People ... do you pre-plan or just write?

I've been sitting on a drama serial idea for months now. Letting it grow naturally in my head and I've just put a full scene-by-scene synopsis 'down onto paper'. I also managed to add a completly new character to those dwelling in my mind, so I'm actually very glad I did the scene by scene stuff. I'm still to write the script itself but having the blueprint there for it, well, I'm finding it a refreshing change.

So, yeah, what do you do?

The right way of doing things would be to write an outline of the script before diving into the script. It gives you the basic idea of how it'll present itself. Try a grid formula. Set up the scene with the heading and write out a description of everything that happens in that scene (sans dialogue) and give an estimate to how many pages it'll cover. It's a little more work, but it helps to gather your thoughts and gives you an idea of where to go from there and what needs to be taken out/is unnecessary.

If that is what you did when you say scene by scene synopsis, then you're on the right track.

That is indeed what I meant. It's allowed me to see what's missing and also, made it easier for to put those little 'plants' in for furture episodes and so forth. I am rather excited about this idea anyway, so the fact it is getting off the ground is quite splendid.

For me, I'm writing for first featutre at the moment. Slowly, no less. I did some planning and some outlining with characters and such, but I'm still working on where that's going. However, I wrote my first two scenes because I was 100% sure that they were exactly how I wanted to start the movie. I also get a much better feel for the script once I start writing. But yeah, I do need to plan more. Because before I really do anything else, I've got to be sure where my script is going.

I write down a few "need to have" scenes, or points to include, in an order, then let the rest come naturally. The trick, if there is one is to plan the story out so you don't get lost and always know roughly where to head; without taking the fun out of the thing by telling the entire story in note form, or by being too rigid. I like to have an ending in mind too, even if it's just a final shot rather than a final scene.

Obviously, if the piece needs some finer plotting, go for it.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done written a feature length script:

pllogobig.jpg

Synopsis: In the near future, in a world where the idea of love and romance is as consumer driven as everything else, unremarkable everyman Steve Burbank goes to great lengths to defy the odds - even if it means risking his entire future...

Link to the script: HERE.

Explanation of some of the quirks you might come across, such as casting, HERE. Spoiler: it's a presentational thing on the (quite awesome) scriptwriting forum I'm a part of. Nothing major.

If you actually read the script for some reason, I hope you enjoy it. Any feedback is appreciated. ^_^

That's awesome, GA. I'll hopefully give it a read over the next few months.

On another topic, my pledge to write a feature over Summer materialised in the form of ten pages. I still hope to compelte it one day. I think I just need to be in the right frame of mind for it, too. Though, Film Studies should help this year. Should get me writing more and making films.

I'm currently in the process of outlining an idea that I'm not quite sure will be a full-length or a short yet. Either way, it's long overdue as my last short is closing in on three years old now and even then, that one wasn't even very good.

GA, I read about six or seven pages a few days back. I really liked it. Your writing style is so fluent and I definitely laughed-out-loud at one of the dating scene's. I can't say it's the most gripping thing I've ever read. But I'll read more when I get some more spare time because it had a lot of potential. But, to re-enforce, your writing style is top-notch.

• 1 month later...

I've got twelve pages of script written for either a film or a TV series; I'm debating between the medium to go for. But I'm kind of stuck at the moment, but if anyone would be kind enough, would someone read the twelve pages and give me some feedback? I'm be willing to read someone else's work in return. (Y)

Word of advice: Know what you're writing beforehand. Starting a script and not knowing what you're gonna make it will just end up making the script a complete flub. Scripts for movies and scripts for TV shows are different. For a movie the three act structure covers the 120 minutes (or however many you are willing to write) and for TV the three act structure not only covers a whole season, but it each episode also has to have the three act structure within its 30 pages or so of writing.

With that said, I'd happily read what you got.

Oh, I know. I originally planned it as a feature, but as I studied my plans, and my structure, it felt like I was rushing a lot of the storylines - and alot of potentialy interesting stories would be lost in the shuffle. So I've thought about expanding it into a television series.

And thank you, I'll send it over. :)