Radio - what stations do you listen to?

ChrisSteeleAteMyHamster

Ahhh radio. It's a great medium.

I listen to it quite a lot on the internet, nice link back to the UK and what's going on.

As a kid I listened to the local station in Kent - Invicta FM which had Ian Collins who was great and a few other decent DJs.

Then I moved onto Radio 5 when it was talk and sport.

Then just before University I switched to Talk Radio which then became Talksport ten years ago. It's the only station I listen to now - Talk shows from 10pm til 6am then sport for breakfast, more talk from 10-2 and then sport through the afternoon and evening.

So how about you guys?

Also, who are the best / worst DJs?

For talksport my favourite shows are Hawksbee and Jacobs and then Mike Parry with Andy Townsend.

For a short while every day they had Adrian Durham and Ian Wright which was amazingly good but now that's just on Saturday.

I also always enjoyed Ian Collins but time difference means now I'm asleep when he's on.

The worst stuff is the Sports Breakfast with Alan Brazil and Ronnie Irani...Just the same old thing every day.

Also George Galloway. Can't stand that guy as a presenter, used to drive me crazy but luckily time difference means Inever have to listen to him now.

Also, both James Whales and Tommy Boyd were great before they got fired...Tommy Boyd especially was surprisingly good.

Growing up it Red Dragon, but since I started moving away from chart music in general in about 2004 and moved to what I had on my MP3 player or PC instead. Had to listen to that station again for 3 months last year in work. It was a repeat of the same songs. I now only listen to the radio when my mate gives me a lift from uni, which is once a week, and then it's Nation Radio Wales, which is the more "alternative" station, which plays the likes of Killers, Kings of Leon, Biffy Clyro and that. It's not our thing but better than Red Dragon. Occasionly comes out with some QOTSA, Guns N' Roses, Soundgarden or Pearl Jam which is fan-dabi-dozi.

Edited by TheModernWay

I only listen to BBC Radio 2. Loved Terry Wogan, as I explained in the thread about him - the music's not always fan-dabi-dozi, but I always found him hilarious, and it all usually felt very heartfelt and genuine. Big fan of Ken Bruce too, there's nothing like a healthy bit of cynicism in the mornings.

Trying to get into 6Music at the moment...we can't get DAB radio in Jersey, though, so I'm having to rely on podcasts. I'd been listening to Adam & Joe for a while, because I've been a fan of their's for years, but I'm just getting into Jon Holmes now, he's absolute genius. In the last episode he was "wildly speculating about Tiger Woods", and anyone that can make regular features out of KenBruceMaster, The Old Gay Whistle Test or Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell On The Radio is a genius.

Guest Mr. Grinch

Kinda dumb for me to answer this since there are maybe a dozen EWBers who can get the same stations I do, but what the hey.

When I'm listening to the real radio (mainly in my car), I listen to The Edge out of Toronto...new-skewing rock and alternative, actually a pretty good playlist for a regular radio station, everything from RHCP and Green Day to Metric and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs to Sam Roberts and Sloan, and once in a while they throw in 'She Sells Sanctuary' or something equally bizarre.

Of course Toronto's a little far for me to pick up on a clock radio, so my alarm is set to either Dave FM (classic rock) or KOOL FM (new rock but more in the vein of Nickelback and Three Days Grace and Hedley), based on what city I'm in and what I can pick up.

And if I don't feel like music, I'll toss on 570 News if there's a baseball or hockey game or something.

When Internet radio comes into the mix though, it's CBC Radio 3 all the way. Commercial-free Canadian indie music, with separate streams for specific genres if you'd like, and an amazing playlist function that lets you to any of their 80,000 tracks whenever you want.

I listen to Radio 1, Kiss or Heart; usually in that order. I think Radio 1 plays a fan-dabi-dozi viarety of music and have some really good DJ's in; I personally really enjoy Fearne Cotton and Reggee, and love the Chart Show. I dig switch with Annie and Grimmie and can stand Scott Mills every now again. Usually, when I listen - I'm in the car and am more in the mood for just listening to music - which Kiss is pretty good for. Them seem to have a lot of music, and not very much talking which I like.

But I don't really go out of my way to listen to the Radio unless it is the Chart Show.

Radio 1. I can't stand commercial radio because the adverts drive me absolutely crazy. Local stations are the worst for it. People complain about all the talking on Radio 1 but I'd rather have talking every now and then than the same adverts throughout the day over and over again.

I've never really tried Radio 2, seems like it wouldn't be a bad alternative. But yeah, generally Radio 1 because they play all the new releases and shit and these days I'm nothing more than a chart whore in my musical tastes.

BBC Radio 2 mainly, but I only actually listen to it in the mornings with Wogan. Suppose that'll have to be with Chris Evans now, as it's the only time I listen to the radio, unless coming home in the car or I can't get a football or rugby stream or something. Even then, I tend to stick with the BBC stations.

The local stations here are alright. WISH FM isn't bad, but it's just FULL of adverts. Same goes for Rock FM, which is another local thing. There's also Smooth FM, or whatever they call it these days. I never liked the DJs on there though.

Edge 103 or The Point 94.1. But mostly radio fucking sucks, Edge is always playing some awful trite new rock bullshit (the only time I really like the Edge is during 90s At Noon), and The Point is DJs blabbering on and on for what seems like forever with 'classic' rock here and there between their chatter.

I kinda want to get a satellite radio, we've got Sirius XM on our Dish Network subscription and if I'm listening to music in the house I usually catch myself listening to the Symphony Hall, Blues or Real Jazz stations on Sirius XM.

Don't listen to the radio a fan-dabi-dozi deal. Radio 5 Live is good on a late night if I'm having trouble getting to sleep. BBC 6 music is good for when I'm driving (not that I have done for a while.)

I probably listen to Classic FM the most, although that's mainly because my radio alarm has been tuned to that for months and I can't really be bothered changing it.

I used to have XM radio, but couldn't afford it anymore. Mainly would listen to Classic Rewind (49) or Classic Vinyl (46) or the 80's channel (8). A lot of Area (80) and Liquid Metal (42) as well.

For terrestrial, I tend to listen to college radio or Boston's WZLX (classic rock) or their blues HD2 station.

Don't listen to much radio, the only station I listen to with any sort of regularity is Absolute Radio. Usually listen to the Iain Lee and Frank Skinner shows, the latter mainly on podcast because you know, fuck getting up at 8am on a Saturday morning.

Guest Mr. Grinch

Edge 102, same as MPH. Although I've been listening to Sirius and XM satellite radio at work a lot now too, and like Alt Nation, SiriusXM U, Lithium and Faction.

Ooh, good call. My dad has satellite radio in his car and I love Alt Nation.

• Like 1

My DirectTV has XM Radio on it, and I've adored Alt Nation. :)

I also tend to listen to my local rock station, KLAQ, and even though it's pretty horrible, I tend to listen to the morning show when I'm getting ready for school. Besides that, I usually listen to my iPod or stuff from Pandora.

• 3 weeks later...