L33t Thread 2010

YI

Japanese tribute albums are amazing. There's a Metallica one that's just bizarre, and a Hank Williams one that's given me some of the strangest music I've ever heard.

As far as mildly racist goes, though, Flower Travellin' Band do one of my favourite versions of "House Of The Rising Sun". It would be my undisputed favourite, if it weren't spoiled by "my father was a gambring man, down in New Or-reans".

New Crystal Castles is basically like the first one. Some quality songs and some that sound like audio anime rape over the midi file of a smoke alarm. "Vietnam", "Celestica" (sounds like Mew :D) and "Not In Love" are my favourites.

And it may sound like basically every other song released in the last couple of years, but I'm loving - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fql6aFizfPI

The new Blur song is really quite nice too, nothing massive, but nice.

Massive day. Leaks from 65daysofstatic, Minus The Bear, Foals and The National. :D I'm soooo excited to hear The National album. If there's one album that could be FYS, it'd be this.

HOLY FUCK!! And Gaslight Anthem. :D :D :D :D

Edited by YI

Currently onto track 6 of The National. Really enjoying it so far. Not as INSTANT as "Alligator" or "Boxer", but I have a suspicion it may be a grower. The first track especially doesn't jump out like "Secret Meeting" or "Fake Empire", but the next song, "Sorrow" is so beautifully bleak. It's like what I imagine manic depressives hear in their heads. The next two are typical National fair, beautiful and really good, but not outstanding. I just love their arrangements and the vocalist. Track 5, "Afraid Of Everyone", as I said a few days ago, absolutely fucking awesome. Track 6 is amazing as well, the first real 'upbeat' (well you know 'upbeat' for The National) one on here.

Okay, it really picks up from track 5. 5, 6, 7 and 8 have all been incredible. Monotone "doo"'s = best thing ever.

Edited by YI

...and Band Of Horses has leaked too...I swear to god, there must be some sort of fucking conspiracy.

And track 2 on Gaslight Anthem sounds like The Courteeners. I'm not sure what I make of this. :/

DID I JUST HEAR A FUCKING BONGO!?!?! I THINK I JUST HEARD A FUCKING BONGO!

Okay...this is not the same fucking band that did "Sink Or Swim". Fuck, this ain't even the same band that did "The '59 Sound". I'm sorry...but no...2 mid-tempo tracks that sound suspiciously similar. A lifeless faster 2nd track, and now track 4 which sounds like the fucking Coral.

Edited by YI

I LOVE the new John Grant album.

edit: oh didn't realise double post. oops.

Bought that today, despite not being entirely sure who he is. Also picked up something by The Plasticines, Roky Erikson's new one, Jakob Dylan's new one, a Caribou album and a Joy Division reissue, so it might be a while before I actually get round to listening to it, though.

Going to get The National tomorrow, as I actually heard them for the first time on 6Music over the weekend, and they're nothing like I imagined they would be. They sound alright.

I am scared of the new Gaslight Anthem. The one song I've heard so far sounds like Kings of Leon. I do like the song, and I do like Kings of Leon, but I still don't want Gaslight Anthem to sound like them.

Maybe they want to be Bruce Springsteen now.

Lyrically he seems quite spot on...but fuck me if musically it's not depressing as hell so far. Track 1 and 3 sound so suspiciously similar (the start of the riff is like identical) it's ridiculous. Track 2 just sounds like a watered down "'59 Sound" b-side, and track 4's The Coral.

Okay track 5 is a proper Clash style number, but fuck me, it's awesome.

Okay, track 5 and 6 have salvaged this from. Even if 6 rapes my most hated chord progression (then again, so does a bunch of their stuff :shifty:) but thank fuck...A FAST SONG!!!

Edited by YI

SO WAS I GOOD TO YOU?!?! THE WIFE OF MY YOUTH!! NOT ANOTHER SOUL COULD LOVE YOU LIKE MY ROTTEN BONES DO!!!

spiritofa.jpg

Seal of approval.

Okay, they've turned it around, honestly, properly, turned it around. "The Spirit Of Jazz" I could see breaking my top TGA songs.

I'll stop posting now. :shifty:

Take out 2, 3 and 4 and this is really fucking good.

Edited by YI

Oh I got Jakob Dylan, Roky Eriksson and Caribou also Skummy. Don't know anything about a Joy Division reissue. Would have expected us to stock that. What is it?

I also got a big collection of Maurice Chevalier songs. :shifty:

I don't think it's a new reissue, just a collector's edition of Unknown Pleasures that's slightly different to the collector's edition I already owned.

What the fuck was that?! You gotta put that sort of shit in spoilers, that thing is giving a look like he's standing at the foot of your bed with his pants off, watching you sleep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nv9yCRicano

"The Spirit Of Jazz", "The Queen Of Lower Chelsea", "We Did It When We Were Young" and "Orphans" are amazing. From 5-10, it's just top quality. 3 and 4 have grown on me, but I still cannot get away with 2 at all.

Still has that total Gaslight vibe of me wanting to repeat it all morning.