L33t Thread 2010

YI

Alkaline Trio debuted their new single on Mike Davies' show the other night -

Absolutely fucking awesome. Yes, it's a total stereotypical sounding Alk3 song, as though it's been lifted straight from "From Here To Infirmary"...the riff, the chorus...everything, you feel like you've heard it before, but fuck it, I love it. And that's more than I can say about ANY song from their last album.

BBC Sound of 2010 is going on. So far we have; #5 - The Drums, #4 - Hurts, #3 - Delphic...so nothing surprising. However, we now only have 2 spaces to split between Marina & The Diamonds, Owl City and Ellie Goulding, which poses a problem.

Having heard the Delphic album, it's pretty damn good. Nothing OUTSTANDING...but definitely better than The Temper Trap or The Big Pink albums of similar style, which are basically 1/2 song albums.

"Ambling Alp" by Yeasayer is an absolute fucking tune - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4msowO5-h8 - hearing stuff like this and "Fireflies" by Owl City in bars is totally surreal but awesome at the same time.

I love Ke$ha.

The Wonder Years have put out a total badass pop-punk album. Arguably one of the best pop-punk bands lyrically going. No song as individually awesome as "You're Not Sallinger. Get Over It", but it's full of amazing songs.

The new Owen Pallett/Final Fantasy is lovely, probably his best record yet and after SOLUTIONS and Leddra Chapman probably my 3rd favourite release of 2010 so far.

SOLUTIONS may possibly be my album of 2010 right now too. It's fantastic. Just straight up catchy punk.

Also Ellie Goulding certainly won't be top 2. If the top 2 is anything other than Owl City or Marina and the Diamonds I'd be shocked given the hype them two have had. Then again Owl City may do a Lady Gaga from last year and they realised having already conquered America to a point he's going to be big here anyways, so no sense in bigging him up.

That and we should be getting behind the British artists more anyways. Disappointed the Drums got 5th, Ellie and Everything Everything are better. They're song is... ok, but it's nothing special and they come off quite brash and arrogant without any real basis to do so.

Meh, the list isn't the end of the world though. Doesn't mean a great deal but it would be nice for it to play out with Marina as number one.

My tip for 2010 is Tinie Tempah. Just think he's got the style and ability that appeals to people these days, can definitely hear him getting some more airtime and making it pretty big.

Just heard the new Example track

for the first time and really digging it, hopefully will help grow his profile above 'Watch The Sun Come Up' which had a perfect end of summer vibe to it.

For 2010 the album I'm anticipating most is Unicorn Kid's debut album. After delivering an amazing set at T In The Park last year and touring the US with Owl City I'm expecting a brilliant album from him.

So Ellie Goulding is the BBC's Sound of 2010 list winner. I'm partly not surprised they didn't go with Owl City, everyone knows he's going to be big so probably didn't bother voting for him as much. Like Lady Gaga from last year.

Still, wish Marina had won but Ellie's got some decent songs too.

Hoping Marina fares a bit better than White Lies did last year mind. >_<

Heard the new Vampire Weekend. Damn that sucked. Like, not even nearly as good as their first album, which after all the initial hype was a good album. Maybe this is something that will grow on me, but if not, wow that stunk.

New Ihsahn and Massive Attack are cool.

Take Manhattan's EP is okay, really rough around the edges...but like some sort of Gaslight Anthem, Hot Hot Heat, Latterman mash-up...pretty cool. You can get it for free - http://www.takemanhattan.net/

New Vampire Weekend is unbelievably fucking shit...I thought the first was bad enough, but on this one they appear to have shunned not only conventional melody, but any form of melody at all. I like the last 15 seconds of the single...I will admit that much.

Not entirely sure how accurate it is, but I've been hearing (well seeing) rumblings of a new Owl City album this year. Here's a 'new' song (from a couple of months ago) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KI2hqs7r9jc - not amazing, but I love the bass bit during the 'riff'.

And worst album cover of the year so far goes to Crime In Stereo;

a2xis6.png

Album will probably fucking rock though. New Styrofoam is recorded too and everything's being sorted out with it now (single/artwork/distribution and shit). Can't wait for that.

And just cos it rocks. Half Hearted Hero's cover of "A Thousand Miles" (Vanessa Carlton) is fantastic - http://www.myspace.com/halfheartedheroband

Replace NME with Pitchfork and you might be onto something. :shifty:

Nah, just never really did anything for me. Even "A-Punk" which I think I really like...it has this vibe of "Is that really it? Is that seriously it?", it's like "okay, we've got this one cool idea and we're gonna repeat it for like 2-minutes and never really build on it and do anything with it, with a cool little interlude-y bit, which too goes fucking nowhere...awesome".

Edited by YI